Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Hello there

I have been looking over this thread (all 46 pages of it) and I must say that I am impressed with the general concepts of this program. I am going to try this program in a few weeks but I have a problem,no bench press yet as im still setting up at home(although I do have squat stands,which allows me to squat).How would I go about substituting an exercise to replace the bench press?

If Madcow or anyone else with ideas for a bench substitute could reply it would be much appreciated.

Floor press might be a reasonable sub.

Some might suggest dips but I never really got into them and, unless you have something to suspend weights from, it's difficult to maintain a weight progression.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

blut wump said:
That, for me, was one of the worst parts of the Wednesday workout: doing deads and then trying to find energy to do some OHP while my back was telling me just to go home.

mc2's pretty thorough, I'm sure he had a reason... even though deads after squats seems slightly insane.. I'll stay with it even though my deadlift is close to zero. Maybe it's building fatigue, hit the heaviest exercises first?

Believe me, you don't want to be doing them the ther way around. Squats after deads would be asking for an injury.

If the Wednesday squats are a bit of a nuisance you could lower the weight on them. You could reasonably go as low as 75% of your Monday weight.

The last time I did 5x5, I fried my hips by doing heavy box-squats on Wednesday instead of light normal squats and the deads became very grualling. I'll not be doing that again.

Hi there been reading through all the info and thinking I may like to start this program. The dilema i have is that in 5 weeks time I am heading overseas for 2 weeks dont know if ill find much time for gym and was wondering if it would be wise to do the first 4 weeks of the program take 2 weeks off and then pick up where i left off??

It's not ideal but the timing is perfect if you have that enforced layoff. You'd just skip the intensity phase, since a two week layoff is enough to bring some deconditioning, and start the program afresh when you return.

You might be better to run four weeks of the Single Factor version, though, and rethink the situation when you return. Here's the SF version
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4497774&postcount=15

Take a look at Anotherbutters log for a real-world example of its use.

Thanks think i may just start the dual factor version then take my 2 weeks off and start fresh when I return. Looking forward to it.

Also was wondering i have a dodgy knee and think that machine squats on a smith machine are probably better for me at least until I build up strength in legs ( havent trained legs since knee operation over a year ago) would this still work? Everything else would be the same.

Top Bottom