Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Looks pretty good. Do you have areverse hyper at your gym? The program cllas for those too. What's your sets/reps like on the assistance stuff (close grips, declines, curls, not abs)? 3x8 si what teh program calls for.

Congrats on the progress BTW :). I think you've hit a milestone by slowing down a tad.

Guinness5.0 said:
Looks pretty good. Do you have areverse hyper at your gym? The program cllas for those too. What's your sets/reps like on the assistance stuff (close grips, declines, curls, not abs)? 3x8 si what teh program calls for.

Congrats on the progress BTW :). I think you've hit a milestone by slowing down a tad.

Thanks for the congrats! Tomorrow starts my 5th week on the program and then next week I'll be travelling all week so I'll have to take a week off. Shouldn't be too big of a deal, though. If anything, it'll just allow me some time to fully recover from all these new lifts I'm doing but I'll be going right back to the program as soon as I get back from travelling.

As for the reverse hypers, I don't remember seeing a setup for them at the gym but I'll look tomorrow to make sure. If I don't have one, what should I sub for them? As for my assistance stuff, I was doing 3 sets of 10, 7, and 5 (basically just going to failure), but I'll start doing 3 sets of 8 as of tomorrow since now I know I should be doing them that way.

Also, how long do you think I can stick with this program? I'd like to stick with it as long as I'm able to keep making gains on it which should be quite a lengthy amount of time since my lifts are all so crappy. So, since I'll be forced to take a week off next week (week of the 29th, I mean), should I just cycle like that and do 5 weeks on and 1 week off? Or maybe 8 weeks on and one week off? Or possibly every week on and no weeks off (I'd actually prefer this the most but I'm trying to get my mind and my habits used to the concept of overtraining and cycling).

siamesedream said:
Also, how long do you think I can stick with this program? I'd like to stick with it as long as I'm able to keep making gains on it which should be quite a lengthy amount of time since my lifts are all so crappy. So, since I'll be forced to take a week off next week (week of the 29th, I mean), should I just cycle like that and do 5 weeks on and 1 week off? Or maybe 8 weeks on and one week off? Or possibly every week on and no weeks off (I'd actually prefer this the most but I'm trying to get my mind and my habits used to the concept of overtraining and cycling).
The idea is to stick with it for as long as it works, then to implement dual-factor training. IMHO you'll know to change when it stalls out for a while (a couple weeks or more of little/no progress I would guess).

I'm just guessing but I would think you wouldn't really want to cycle this, but the odd week off here and there wouldn't hurt at all.

Ok, ive done a run through the 5x5 before but now on my second run I have to do front squats.

Im putting together a home gym (sick of idiots at YMCA) and have to accomadate. So obviously im gonna have to go alot lighter because cleaning the wieght can be a bitch.

I know MC2 strongly advises substituting anything for the back squat but I have no choice right now.

Has anyone done this??? How were the results???

BTW I think it'll be fun for me since ive never really done front squats before. Itll add some flavor to my 2nd run.

Someone on here was using deads in place of squats for loading purposes- I think it was hunteruk. You're going to have a tough time getting the loading right if you replace backs with fronts across the board.

Ok here's my deal. I'm in week 8 of the 5X5 Madcow style.

Today, while doing Rows (90 degree style, weight unloaded each rep) I decided to jump from what was supposed to be 215 lbs. up to 225 lbs.

I got all 9 reps, but for the first time while doing these rows I felt as if I "cheated" just a tad. Nothing too bad, just a little body sway to get the rep.

Now here's where I want your opinion....next week, should I keep the weight the same and try to be 100% strict in my form or should I bump it up another 5 or 10 pounds and just go for it?

Thanks in advance.

-Perm

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

JL_204 said:
You have to kind of be your own coach with this.

If you think you can do it then go ahead, your almost done anyway.
Exactly. Go for it and set yourself a new PR.

If you're in week9 you must be running the 3x per week intensity phase. If you start to feel worn-out or generally loaded up again don't balk at taking an extra rest day at any time from now until the end.

I got my ass demolished in the gym today. Today ends the 4th week of the single-factor for me, and I wasn't able to row for 2 reps what I did for 5 on Monday. I was totally fucking drained today and I had to cut out my close-grip benching. Since I'm forced to take a week off next week due to travelling, I think it'll do me a ton of good. My diet is so low-calorie though that it may a huge contribution to me feeling like a complete bum today.
Reading journals and everything on here and descriptions of the 5x5, it seems as though one of the most important factors is eating with caloric-excess, as even madcow says himself. With my main goal of losing 50 pounds of fat but also getting myself to a nice, muscular body, I hope this 5x5 allows me to meet that goal. I'd like to be doing more cardio on my cardio bike but my legs get demolished when doing HIIT while also squatting as much as I am. I wasn't able to increase my bench today, so I get discouraged and need something to blame and hope it's my diet since I'm kicking my own ass as hard as I possibly can. Is it even possible for me to expect to make hulking gains or to gain muscle while I still have such a large amount of fat to lose (21-24% bodyfat)? I suppose I'm talking out of my ass and just need some advice since I feel like a total waste right now.

Top Bottom