Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

siamesedream said:
All of this talk about taking week-offs and stuff is only for the dual-factor, right? I'd like to be able to stick with just doing the single-factor without changing my routine for quite a while. Also, in a post before I was posting about how my top set for my bench is my absolute MAX for that amount of reps. Monday doing it for 5 reps was my 5-rep max, and yesterday my set of 3 was my absolutely 3-rep max. How will I know if I should increase the weights on bench for next week?

You don't do a 3 rep max on Friday per say. It's a % based on Monday's top set. Sometimes it might be a max but not every week.

* On Friday, the first four sets are the same as they were on Monday. The fifth set, done for three reps, should be a jump of about 2.5% over what you did for your fifth set on Monday. As you become more experienced with the system, you can experiment with the weight you use on this triple. This should NOT be a PR triple attempt every week. In fact, the goal is to come back the following Monday and get the same weight for 5 reps that you got for 3 reps the Friday before. To avoid missing reps, pick weights carefully. Take it easy the first few weeks, and don’t over do it. After the big triple, drop back to the weight you used for your 3rd set and try to get eight reps.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Madcow2 said:
You don't do a 3 rep max on Friday per say. It's a % based on Monday's top set. Sometimes it might be a max but not every week.

Right, but last week was my first week on the 5x5 and I just so happened to choose a weight-scheme for my benching that led up to my 5-rep max on Monday and my 3-rep max on Friday. I know it's not supposed to be a max every week, but I was asking if I should still try to increase it anyways since I'm definitely doing a 5-pound increase on all other lifts, but my bench is the only one that ended up with a max for the top set.

Madcow,

for the 5x5 This is my progression schedule:

wk1 80% wk2 85% wk3 90% wk4 95%

for the 1x5 wk1 90% wk2 95% wk3 100% wk4 105%

wk5 same as wk4

wk6 100% wk7 105% wk8 110% wk9 115%

Is this a good progression schedule based on my current 5RM or should I hit a PR in week 4 (105% instead of 95%)? I have written down the weights for myself based on the % btw. And I know I can adjust this schedule based on my results

Thanks

Madcow I finished my second cycle of 5x5 and would like to try something else. Do you have any other routines that are like 5x5 for strength and size?

Hello im running the novice lifter program right now and im doing deadlifts instead of High pulls. Is it ok to add 3 sets of Barbell Upright Row on wednesday(light day) to give my shoulders some workout?

IronPL said:
Madcow I finished my second cycle of 5x5 and would like to try something else. Do you have any other routines that are like 5x5 for strength and size?
In part I of the table of contents of this thread, there's a link call "beyond the 5x5: planning our training cycles" that should be helpful

I'm in the deload phase right now, and have understood everything up to this point(Thanks Madcow!!), but now I think I've confused myself a little.

Quick question to get clarification:

Take my squats for example:

My week 4 5X5 was at 290 lbs., so my week 5 (deloading) 3X3 poundages would be the same...290 lbs. I know this.

Now... would my Week 6 3X3 weights increase from the 290 (say...to 295 or 300) or would I drop the poundages a little so that I can ramp up and hit a new 3X3 record in week 8 (e.g. start at 275 lbs.)?

I hope I made a little sense....

BTW...I'm using the alternate deloading / intensity phase guidelines.

Thanks in advance.

-Perm

big perm said:
I'm in the deload phase right now, and have understood everything up to this point(Thanks Madcow!!), but now I think I've confused myself a little.

Quick question to get clarification:

Take my squats for example:

My week 4 5X5 was at 290 lbs., so my week 5 (deloading) 3X3 poundages would be the same...290 lbs. I know this.

Now... would my Week 6 3X3 weights increase from the 290 (say...to 295 or 300) or would I drop the poundages a little so that I can ramp up and hit a new 3X3 record in week 8 (e.g. start at 275 lbs.)?

I hope I made a little sense....

BTW...I'm using the alternate deloading / intensity phase guidelines.

Thanks in advance.

-Perm
Increase every week after week5 ends. week6 should be heavier than week5. Don't jump overmuch since you should be hitting records in week8.

You should find that although week6 is heavier it is not really much harder than week5 since you'll have done quite a lot of recovery with the week5 deloading.

Actually, I've just seen the "alternate deloading / intensity". If you're doing the 2x per week option then just keep increasing the weight so long as you get all 9 reps. Only keep this up for about 3 weeks and then consider the program over.

id say try to jump 10 pounds from week 5-6, 20 pounds from week 6-7 (depending on how hard it was the week before)

Top Bottom