Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Aye, easy guys. We'd all really appreciate it if this could blow over but if you have to call him out, Patsfan, please take it to a dedicated thread. There's hundreds of hours of time gone into this thread.

Tom, please chill, bro.

Blut Wump said:
Aye, easy guys. We'd all really appreciate it if this could blow over but if you have to call him out, Patsfan, please take it to a dedicated thread. There's hundreds of hours of time gone into this thread.

Tom, please chill, bro.

agreed. now let's get back on track here peeps.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

I will be very pissed off if there is more bullshit posted on my thread. You'll notice the topic is Bill Starr's 5x5 and not 'Immature Pissing Match'.

Take it to chat with the rest of the useless bullshit, take it to PM, email, instant message, exchange addresses and all go beat the crap out of each other, I couldn't care less as long as it's not here.

This thread is a resource for forum members and those interested in training theory, I can't count the number of hours invested, please respect what is a relatively large effort (and I like to think successful) solely to help others and do not post any crap on this thread again.

I asked once nicely and it was ignored. Have some respect and take the immature internet bullshit elsewhere which is as easy and convenient as not replying here and using a PM instead or starting a new thread in chat.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw the above - thanks KillahBee

I was planning on doing a second training cycle but have run into a little problem.

I used to go to the gym tues, thurs, and sat. But until september i wont be able to be that consistent.
For the summer it will more than likely be mon, tues, weds.

Can I apply DFT to these days?
Would squatting 3 days in a row be too much?
Should i wait for september to start another 5x5 cycle? If so any suggestion for what i can do in the mean time. I cant go back to training splits, they seem useless to me now.

Thanks

Yeah M,T,W is a bit rough (3 on /4 off). I'd consider this a maintenance phase in your life, maybe get a bit creative or try to analyze your lifts for weak points and work on those a bit. The stimulus and recovery are too concentrated to really do too much. Maybe work on learning some new lifts like the clean or snatch (good snatch article in the TOC). Watch some videos (on TOC too). Just some ideas.

ErnieScar said:
Just wondering if something like this would workout well for MMA?
Well, the foundation is primarily an offseason athletic program for increasing performance and bulking athletes so it should work really well. It's only 3 days a week at the most so it fits nicely with skill related training. If you have some familiarity with the olympic lifts, for sports purposes you could put them back into the program substituting powercleans for rows on M/F and clean pulls or high pulls. The OLs and variants are really good at building explosive power and I'm sure you know sports and particularly striking rely on acceleration/force/power for effectiveness (assuming technique is in place).

Anyway, there's a few fighters here using it that I've had conversations with. I dabbled a bit in BJJ for a time. A really good friend of mine has spent years doing MMA although he's slowed his pace lately, places well in a pretty decent BJJ tourneys here in the US, has grappled with Rickson Gracie out in Cali back in the mid 1990s, I'm sure there's a lot he's done that I could put here but we tend to talk about other stuff so it's tough to recall it - he reads the thread on occasion so maybe he'll post. Anyway, he's been using this program and variants for quite a while and swears by it.

The bottom line is that more strength and explosion is always helpful but you don't win a fight on this alone so it's most important to have everything else in place. Obviously though if you are going to incorporate strength training you'd like it to be as efficient and effective as possible, and this one is pretty good for that. The most important thing though is that it fits your level of training and is adaptable to your competition schedule. Basically, heavy off-season work and as you prep for a competition move the strength into a maintenence phase, move to lower volume and peak speed and explosive power. I'll provide a quote below it give you an idea, it's taken from the Charlie Francis link on the table of contents which is more geared to discrediting HIT but goes into describing what I've just touched on (obviously I'm kind of rambling a bit but it's very pertinent and it's useful to see how sprinters peak speed and explosive power post-maximizing strength which is relevant for a fighter arriving at competition date in best possible shape fully recovered and at maximum strength and power.

Charlie Francis said:
Explosive power can only be optimized during the maintenance phase of an organized weight program after maximum strength is already in place. The maintenance phase extends the period over which maximum strength can be maintained while allowing the entire organism to super-compensate.

Maintenance phase lifting consists of slightly sub- maximal weights in numbers well below maximum rep capacity. It takes 10 to 12days to rebound, after a 12week maximum strength phase, followed by a 6week super-compensation "window" in which explosive power can be maximized before the gradual loss of strength outweighs the benefits of additional recovery.

Top Bottom