Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

I have a question on exercise selection for the beginners 5x5.

My current routine is as follows:

MONDAY -
Bench 5 x 5
Squat 5 x 5
BB row 5 x 5
BB curl 3 x 8

WEDNESDAY -
Squats (light) - 4 x 5
Military press - 4 x 5
Deadlifts - 4 x 5
Calf raise - 3 x 15

FRIDAY -
Squat 5 x 5
Bench - 5 x 5
BB row - 5 x 5
Dips - 3 x 5-8

Notes:
- The weight in each set is increased on each set to a target set of five.
- On Friday, provided I do five clean reps of the target weight on Monday, the fifth set consists of three reps at an increase of 2.5kg of Monday's 5-rep weight, followed by a back off set of the weight used in the third set for five extra reps.

This seems to be working well so far, but I have a question about where I could add in pull-ups?

Would I have to completely substitute them for rows? Or Could I do pull-ups on one day and rows on the other? Thoughts?

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Tom Treutlein said:
No. Squats are the prime driver of this entire program. They're the foundation. Don't butcher it. Read the table of contents and you'll find all the information you need, especially pertaining to exchanging exercises. That's a big no-no.
well damn that sucks, guess I won't be doing them. Everytime I end up doing heavy squats I ALWAYS hurt myself.

I would have someone check your squatting form. Also, try using a foam roller on your glutes and hammies before squatting, along with increasing your flexibility. Use only the bar, try to stay completely upright, shoulder-width stance, toes pointed forward. Keep your head high, looking up on an angle.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

FreakMonster said:
well damn that sucks, guess I won't be doing them. Everytime I end up doing heavy squats I ALWAYS hurt myself.
I think I saw in one of your other posts that you have knee problems. There was a thread from Anthrax a short while back in which bfold suggested wide and high box squats to take stress away from the knees. Unfortunately, it does pile the stress onto the hips instead if you're not used to them.

I'm currently doing a run of the program with box squats instead of normal squats but what I'm trying to get at is that with a bit of imagination you might find a way around your problem. The 5x5 program here does expect you to be getting a lot of your overall work from squats.

FreakMonster said:
I'd follow blut wump's advice and try to address your squatting and whatever weak links might be contributing to injuries. This is a tremendously important exercise in general so if there is no serious disability and it's a matter of technique and strengthening certain areas I'd really advise doing it as soon as possible.

That said, the squatting is really the core of this program. You can try to swap it out while you work on your technique but it generally isn't anywhere near as effective. Your other lifts will go up decently though, just overall the weight gain many experience will be slashed in a big way (but then again, you'll still outperform most shitty programs). You just can't squat at the level of this program before you work out whatever kinks are there.

|D_J^B_J| said:
I have a question on exercise selection for the beginners 5x5.

SNIP

This seems to be working well so far, but I have a question about where I could add in pull-ups?

Would I have to completely substitute them for rows? Or Could I do pull-ups on one day and rows on the other? Thoughts?

Just add them in one day a week when convenient. 3 sets of bodyweight unless you can get 3x10-12 in which case add some weight.

Blut Wump said:
Your current maxes are what you are aiming for in week3 for the 5x5 exercises. Your top sets of the 1x5 pyramids should be higher than your 5x5 weights. In week4 you try to out-do these to set new maxes in everything, 5x5 and 1x5.

Your post really helped me.

I just have a small question though. On week 3, must all my 1x5 sets be higher than my maxes or will only the top sets of the 1x5 be higher than my maxes?

Thank you !
Santa

If you think about it, it's not possible to beat your 5x5 max five times else that would be a new 5x5 max already.

Just ensure that in week3 and in week4 the top set of the 1x5 pyramid is the best 5-rep set you can do that day. You might be able to beat your 5x5 weight on both 4th and 5th set but it's more likely that you'll simply be aiming to get that top one just right unless you're a well-conditioned athlete.

I usually think of the first four sets of the 5-set pyramid as agressive warmups to launch my best 5-rep set for the day.

Blut Wump said:
I think I saw in one of your other posts that you have knee problems. There was a thread from Anthrax a short while back in which bfold suggested wide and high box squats to take stress away from the knees. Unfortunately, it does pile the stress onto the hips instead if you're not used to them.

I'm currently doing a run of the program with box squats instead of normal squats but what I'm trying to get at is that with a bit of imagination you might find a way around your problem. The 5x5 program here does expect you to be getting a lot of your overall work from squats.
No, I don't have knee problems just nagging lower back problems. That's why I'm not sure this program is right for me. I mean I can do squats but I can't go too heavy.

Top Bottom