Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

TheOak84 said:
my first 5x5 routine, all workouts, and progress

i havent done friday yet, but i predict thats what ill do, im redoing squats because i didnt like how i did them last friday, on shrugs the first time was 405x5, the next week 8, ill attpemt 10 this week.

i still have 2 more weeks of training before i begin the next one.

ill post my before and after maxes in 2 weeks also, after i test for them.

Nice results. I think I need to start pushing myself more. My 5x5,1x5,3x3,1x3 maxes are within 10-20lbs of each other. Yours are over 40lbs, I have to be doing something wrong. Did you run the 2x or 3x deloading, Intensity Phase. Again nice work :)

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Boss101 said:
Nice results. I think I need to start pushing myself more. My 5x5,1x5,3x3,1x3 maxes are within 10-20lbs of each other. Yours are over 40lbs, I have to be doing something wrong. Did you run the 2x or 3x deloading, Intensity Phase. Again nice work :)

i did the dual factor method, if tahts what ur asking.

i did start out fairly low in weight, 65% of 1RM.

Last edited:
I started at about 65% as well. When did you notice your strength gains? You're natural right no PH/roids.

JL_204 said:
hey madcow, i caught a cold/flu so i had to miss day 1 of deload (tuesday).
I know this happened to someone else running this program but they went on anyway and still had some gains.
I plan on going back to the gym on thursday but do you think i should deload for 2 weeks before upping the wieghts, or will that just completely botch the program???

BTW it seems everytime i start to see gains in the gym i get sick. It doesnt help with the shit weather up here either. It went from 30 c last week to a rainy 5 c this week.

Both super_rice and jim quini got pretty ill from the nasty late flu season bugs. Just make sure you don't bump up the weight much for week 6 (week after deload), maybe just leave it the same depending on how you feel. Also look at the 2x per week deloading phase to see if that fits in better and just use that or swap into the 3x after 2 weeks. They both made gains before and after but to be honest this is the worst time to get sick where your body is already stressed to overreaching (they got sick around week 6/7). You should be fine though - nothing you can do about it besides manage it as best you can.

Boss101 said:
I started at about 65% as well. When did you notice your strength gains? You're natural right no PH/roids.

yes im natural, i noticed gaines throughout the whole program. when i was doin my max for reps (on the 1x5, 1x3 days) was when i knew it worked, so about the 7th week

30 min after you PWO shake try taking in 500-1000mgs of Vit C bro...take a good multi and you should be good...good luck

I take a multi-vit by ill add some vit c...thanks bro

Both super_rice and jim quini got pretty ill from the nasty late flu season bugs. Just make sure you don't bump up the weight much for week 6 (week after deload), maybe just leave it the same depending on how you feel. Also look at the 2x per week deloading phase to see if that fits in better and just use that or swap into the 3x after 2 weeks. They both made gains before and after but to be honest this is the worst time to get sick where your body is already stressed to overreaching (they got sick around week 6/7). You should be fine though - nothing you can do about it besides manage it as best you can.

Thanks madcow, ill do 2x for weeks 5 and 6, and ill barely bump the wieght in week 6.

My Results:

Stats before 5x5: 142 lbs. 10 % bodyfat @ 5'10
Stats after 5x5: 154.4 lbs. 10% bodyfat @ 5'10
Gained 12lbs. of muscle and put on no fat. My body feels more dense and muscular. My proportions are still the same as 142 so basically i look like a scaled up version of 142 at 154. I do look a little thicker especially in my back and arms.

Things I did not do or did differently:
Never at one point throughout the whole 9 weeks was i ever in caloric excess. I ate enough to maintain, but due to school and many other things i was not able to exceed my maintanence level of calories need.

Another thing that i did not do was 1x5 on bench and rows i did 5x5 or 3x3 both days, however i did do 1x5 on squats.

Weekly progression:

squats: 150/155/160/170/170/180/190/205/215
bench: 120/130/135/145/145/155/165/170/175
row: 120/130/135/145/145/160/170/175/180

squats: 125/130/135/145/x/x/x/x/x
deads: 175/185/190/200/200/210/220/230/240
military press: 95/100/105/115/115/120/125/130/135
chins: bw for all weeks

squats: 165/170/175/185/185/195/205/215/225
bench: 120/130/135/145/145/155/165/170/175
row: 120/130/135/145/145/160/170/175/180

I really loved this program and i gained 12 lbs. with a few flaws here and there. I am definitely running this again and i will try hard to get myself to eat as much as i possibly can and see what happens next time around.

Question for Madcow2 or others:

I'm new to this board (a regular on some others). Basic stats: 34yo, 85kg (187lbs) bwt. I compete in O-lifting (95kg/125kg best lifts) and Highland Games. I've been reading this and other threads on 5x5 for some time (Great log, Blut Wump!), and am fascinated with how well you have organized the concept here.

My question is this. I'd like to incorporate the 5x5 program into my own training, but obviously I have to be able to continue snatching and clean&jerking on a regular basis. Have you had any experiences blending the two together? If not, do you have any suggestions how I should incorporate 5x5 into my current training (e.g., continue the o-lifts, but squat 3x per week according to 5x5)?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Cooley

Shepherd4 said:

I'm new to this board (a regular on some others). Basic stats: 34yo, 85kg (187lbs) bwt. I compete in O-lifting (95kg/125kg best lifts) and Highland Games. I've been reading this and other threads on 5x5 for some time (Great log, Blut Wump!), and am fascinated with how well you have organized the concept here.

My question is this. I'd like to incorporate the 5x5 program into my own training, but obviously I have to be able to continue snatching and clean&jerking on a regular basis. Have you had any experiences blending the two together? If not, do you have any suggestions how I should incorporate 5x5 into my current training (e.g., continue the o-lifts, but squat 3x per week according to 5x5)?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Cooley

im acutally doin a 2nd run soon with cleanin on monday. im pretty sure its gonna be great

Shepherd4 said:

Thanks for the compliment on the organization. That's been a big goal of mine to get it all in one place because a lot of it was pretty poorly organized and unclear before that point.
Shepherd4 said:

Thanks in advance!

Michael Cooley

You're on the right track. The squatting base gets periodized into your competition lifts. I don't know how you train those but that could be MWF with lighter technique and other assistance work on other days. Depends on what exactly you are looking to accomplish during a particular phase and where you are in relation to a major competition. But that's it in a nutshell. Generally he might use 5x5 on both M/F for more experienced lifters and particularly for OLs the Wednesday light squat session might be better served by heavy front squats unless you have these running somewhere else separately.

To be perfectly honest, Glenn Pendlay uses this all the time and coaches a bunch of weightlifters out of Wichita, TX - a few of his homegrown guys did very well at Nationals recently. Why don't you post in the OL forum at: http://www.midwestbarbell.com/totalelite/ where he's a mod. You might want to include what kind of training you are currently doing so he and others can guage appropriate volume etc...He also mod's the Goheavy OL forum. The Wichita Weightlifting site is here: http://www.wichitafallsweightlifting.com/.

Top Bottom