Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

TheOak84 said:
for my 2nd run of the routine i was thinking this setup

dual factor style: 5x5/deload/3x3

mon

wed

sat

would this be too much?

i dont think so..

feedback please :)
Moving your two-day gap to between the day2 and day3 will have a bearing on your recovery. Your body is going to feel that your workout week has become day3/day1/day2 starting on Sat rather than 123 starting on Mon.

Just something to watch out for when you find that your Monday workout starts to feel a little harder than it otherwise might. You could slide the workouts back to do your day1 workout on Saturday.

Does anybody possibly have a good excel program based around the 5x5 routine? One where you can enter your present 1rm's and get all the weights/workout numbers? Thanks

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Blut Wump said:
Moving your two-day gap to between the day2 and day3 will have a bearing on your recovery. Your body is going to feel that your workout week has become day3/day1/day2 starting on Sat rather than 123 starting on Mon.

Just something to watch out for when you find that your Monday workout starts to feel a little harder than it otherwise might. You could slide the workouts back to do your day1 workout on Saturday.

ya, i think ill stick with m-w-f, not do deads. and should i put gms on wed, to replace deads? or keep them on friday, seeing the cleans are on monday...

KOArtist said:
Does anybody possibly have a good excel program based around the 5x5 routine? One where you can enter your present 1rm's and get all the weights/workout numbers? Thanks

The issue here is that you'd have to use a percentage table for weekly progression. Problem being some people need to start much lighter and some can start much heavier. The best thing to do is use the 1RM calculator or equations in the Table of Contents (last item) to back out 5 and 3 rep maxes and kind of plan around those. Start conservatively so you can make it through week 1 without much problem (that way if there are issues, you are starting low enough where you can do something about it). If you start too low, you can take bigger jumps or add an extra week before the final 2 record weeks.

Once you've done it once, you can build of your experience easily and keep track of your own percentages, ramps, and volume. If I provide a percentage chart, you can bet that it might make it easier for the initial setup but I'd be hurting people in many aspects. People will stick to it and be very reluctant to deviate. To ensure that everyone does at least decently, I'd have to be conservative and this short-changes those at the other end of the spectrum. It sucks but this is the problem with cookie cutters and the value of coaching. Every lifter is different, there can be massive differenced in tolerance even between lifters with comparable lifts, levels, ages, builds, body weights, and experience. This is the job of the coach and everyone here is for the most part their own coach so if I give them a crutch, you can bet they'll use it to limp along until it's so worn that it eventually breaks. Not a good trade.

You might check out the sample weight progression in the TOC. It's just some basic numbers but it will give you an idea of what's going on.

psst madcow don't mean to bother you but do you read your inbox at all?

also i was wondering about the value of the old powerlifting periodization which generally is something like this:

week 1+2: 2x12
week 3+4: 2x10
week 5+6: 2x8
week 7+8: 2x6
week 9+10: 2x4
week 11+12: 2x2
week 13: 1x1 with new max
I heard these were crappy and that the earlier weeks have no real carryover to the later ones and thats what pushed me away from periodization in the beginning. On the other hand, Ed Coan is a big fan of this style.

(i dunno if this belongs here, for some reason i keep getting an error when trying to make a new thread)

KOArtist said:

While it's important to stay within the guidelines laid out by madcow to avoid bastardizing the dual factor principles of the program, I think one of the major ideas of this program is choose weights based on feel so that the stimuli can be maximized without overtraining. For example, the amount of weight used for the light squat workout on wednesday during the loading phase can be varied according to how much volume a lifter can handle. The same applies for the 1x5 and 1x3 workouts--one lifter might make much larger jumps in weight than another lifter. It all depends on a given lifter's tolerance to volume and the amount of weight that is being moved around. Someone near their genetic potential squatting twice bodyweight for reps is going to modulate the load differently than a new lifter.

Basically what I'm saying is that you need to listen to your own body to get the most out of this program; an excel spreadsheet won't cut it. Additionally, it's really not very complicated at all. Madcow has done a great job of making it simple and understandable so that the masses can use it without a great deal of understanding or effort.

Yep, it's me again Madcow. I began week 8 this week. Now, I usually workout on Tues/Thurs/Sat. Because of my shedule this week I decided to do Mon/Weds/Fri. So now this week I only had 1 day of rest in between the new weeks workout schedule instead of two. With that in mind, I went up again squats from 3x3@405 to 3x3@415, but my bench was 1x3 for 315 last week, but this week, I was gonna shoot for 325. I was doing my second to last set of 3 reps and just barely got 285 for 3 reps, so I ended the set right there as I could tell by struggle on the last rep that even trying for 320 would not have been possible. Any advice on what to do next? Thanks.

slyder190 said:
Yep, it's me again Madcow. I began week 8 this week. Now, I usually workout on Tues/Thurs/Sat. Because of my shedule this week I decided to do Mon/Weds/Fri. So now this week I only had 1 day of rest in between the new weeks workout schedule instead of two. With that in mind, I went up again squats from 3x3@405 to 3x3@415, but my bench was 1x3 for 315 last week, but this week, I was gonna shoot for 325. I was doing my second to last set of 3 reps and just barely got 285 for 3 reps, so I ended the set right there as I could tell by struggle on the last rep that even trying for 320 would not have been possible. Any advice on what to do next? Thanks.
You know he's going to tell you to take time out. I also did the 3x per week intensity phase and by the end I was drawn out and in need of deloading again. I know one guy even stretched out his weeks 8 and 9 over three weeks to make sure that he had the energy available for the intensity workouts of 8 and 9. Those days between weeks are important and skipping one has cost you some recovery. No biggie: just take a couple or three days off before your next session. This time around I'm doing the 2x per week intensity phase to compare.

Yup - extra days as needed. Rushing to stay on a weekly schedule during low rep record weeks is going to more than likely result in unhappiness.

By doing the Intensity at 2x a week, does this mean just stretching it out by adding more rest days inbtween the 3 workouts each week? This may be a good idea, because the last few days I've been so tired as well. But one question is still unanswered. Even if I do add more rcovery days, what should i try for on my next 1x3 bench day? 320 or just 315 again?

Top Bottom