Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Stiff Knees

MC, when I squat my knees feel really stiff and tight. I do some light warmups my knees still bother me. I've changed my stance and had a friend check my form. Any suggestions?

Has anyone thrown in power shrugs with their 5x5 routine?

If so, where did you put them and how were the results?

When i do the 5x5 for the second time I plan on doing them. I did a few today with a light wieght just to see how they were and i really like them.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hi , I do this workout in single factor and I was wondering if it was okay to add a few push-up sets(to prepare for basic training) here and there on off-days without it affecting my bench performance.

thx

Mon......
Squat.......5x5.....
Bench.......1x5.....................
Row.........1x5...............

Wed......
Front Squat.......5x5
Deadlift.....5x5..........
Military......5x5.............
Pullups.......5x5........

Fri.......
Squat........1x5............
Bench........5x5.........
Row...........5x5.........

Re: Stiff Knees

Boss101 said:
MC, when I squat my knees feel really stiff and tight. I do some light warmups my knees still bother me. I've changed my stance and had a friend check my form. Any suggestions?

If there is any way you can get a video with a digicam or even a cellphone camera and upload it somehow it would be great (there are a bunch of host sites ask super_rice). At least one rep from the front, side, and also 45 degrees between front and side.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

JL_204 said:

When i do the 5x5 for the second time I plan on doing them. I did a few today with a light wieght just to see how they were and i really like them.

If you do them from just above knee level (i.e. the traditional hang position) substitute them for rows on M/F. Otherwise this can be a hard exercise to fit in. You'd probably have to scale the dead back to 3x5 and add 3x5 power shrugs which will likely kill you trying to set records on both in the same day. To be honest, the 5x5 isn't condusive to adding this movement unless it's changed into a clean pull from the hang sort of deal (which is a fabulous exercise). Before you can add them, you need to be well conditioned and used to the technique though.

Santa_Claus said:
Hi , I do this workout in single factor and I was wondering if it was okay to add a few push-up sets(to prepare for basic training) here and there on off-days without it affecting my bench performance.
Row...........5x5.........

Depends on how much. It's a good idea to be able to do pushups before going into basic but I can't tell you there will be no effect. How big the effect is depends on how much your do and how you tolerate low intensity volume work. Have to see.

JL_204 said:

i have, its working great. i do them on friday, at the moment im doin 405 for 3x3, a PR for me.

im pumped. I hit a PR today in BB rows.
175x5. I know its not that much but this lift is relatively new to me.
BTW is just finished the 3rd week.

madcow, a while ago you posted that those with over 2x bodyweight deads should scale down the deads to 3x3 for the duration of the program. i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to change it to 1x3 in the intensity phase so it kind of ramps up like the rest of the program? currently i deadlift 3x bodyweight (i dont weigh too much :p). i would think itd be weird to do 3x3, do 3x3 at the deloading phase, and then continue with the 3x3 no?

My friend is going to start the novice version next Monday.
How long should he stay on this program before he goes to the dual factor?
I would imagine for as long as he's gaining consistantly, but he sees me doing the dual factor and hes anxious to start. I dont blame him, he used to bench more than me and now im 30 pounds ahead of him.

BTW hes been training for a year now.

Top Bottom