Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Not a good idea to do consistently with this program but fine every now and then. I'd try to avoid it in the record weeks though.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Madcow2 said:
Not a good idea to do consistently with this program but fine every now and then. I'd try to avoid it in the record weeks though.

Shit, I'm in week 3...is this gonna be bad? The only reason why I have this problem this week is because my god damn university gym changed their hours and are closed on saturdays and sundays now, so i gotta squeeze my workouts in during this week to get a new scheduel on track. I suppose I could go shell out 15 dollars at goodlife this saturday as workout # 3 for week 3 (today was workout #1) and take a day break than start week four on monday...do you think that might be a better alternative?

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Topside said:
Not sure if this link is up somewhere in these pages but it's a good read about planned overtraining and recovery. Coolcolj posted it in his creation of an explosive mofo thread.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/PlannedOvertraining.html

Hilarious - I don't fucking believe it. The sample workout is taken directly from my post on Fortified Iron a few years back. Other than some basic clean up this is a direct cut/paste. Check this out:

From the Article said:
Volume Phase 4 weeks - Deloading Period 1 week - Intensity Phase 4 weeks. Sets and reps for the intensity phase is in parentheses.

M:
Squat 5x5 (3x3)
Bench 1x5 (1x3)
Row 1x5 (1x3)

W:
Squat 5x5 with 15-20% less than Monday (drop this lift)
Deadlift 5x5 (3x3)
Military 5x5 (3x3)
Pullups 5x5 (3x3)

F:
Squat 1x5 (1x3)
Bench 5x5 (3x3)
Row 5x5 (3x3)

Volume Phase - Weeks 1-4:

Use 5 sets of 5 reps with the same working weight for all sets. Increase the weight week to week and try to set records in weeks 3 and 4. For exercises you do twice a week you have a separate day which you perform a single set of 5 reps with the goal of setting records on the 3rd and 4th week for your best set of 5. Don't start the weights too high. Lower the weight if need be but get the sets and reps in - except where you are setting records.

Deloading Week - Week 5:

On week 4 drop the Wednesday squat workout, begin using the Intensity set/rep scheme (in parentheses), and keep the weight the same as your last week in the Volume Phase.

Intensity Phase - Week 6-9:

Everything is the same principal except that you use 3x3 and 1x3 setting records on week 8 and 9. No Wednesday squatting. The important aspect of this phase is the weight increases. If you are so burned out that you need an extra day here and there that's okay. If you can't do all the work that's okay too. Just keep increasing the weight week to week.

Madcow1 - FI Post 7/29/2003 said:
Volume Phase 4 weeks - Deloading Period 1 week - Intensity Phase 4-5 weeks

M:
Squat 5x5 (3x3)
Bench 1x5 (1x3)
Row 1x5 (1x3)

W:
Squat 5x5 with 15-20% less than Monday (drop this lift)
Deadlift 5x5 (3x3)
Military 5x5 (3x3)
Pullups 5x5 (3x3)

F:
Squat 1x5 (1x3)
Bench 5x5 (3x3)
Row 5x5 (3x3)

Volume Phase - Weeks 1-4:
I use 5 sets of 5 reps at working weight standard (I don't count warmups) increasing the weight week to week and trying to set records in weeks 3 and 4. I try to focus on acceleration during these days. For exercises which I do twice a week I have a separate day which I perform a single set of 5 reps with the goal of setting records on the 3rd and 4th week for my best set of 5. For the squat I use Wednesday and utilize between 10-20% less than my working weight on the Monday workout - no goals for this. The main point here is the volume. Don't start the weights too high. Lower the weight if need be but get the sets and reps in - except where you are setting records. I also do a fair amount of warmups to keep my volume decently high on the single sets of 5 reps days.

Deloading Week - Week 5:
On week 5 drop the Wednesday squat workout, begin using the Intensity set/rep scheme (in parentheses), and keep the weight the same as your last week in the Volume Phase.

Intensity Phase - Week 6-10:
Everything is the same principal except that you use 3x3 and 1x3 setting records on week 9 and 10 (week 4 and 5 of this phase). No Wednesday squatting. The important aspect of this phase is the weight increases. If you are so burned out that you need an extra day here and there that's okay. If you can't do all the work that's okay too. Just keep increasing the weight week to week.

It's a great article and he credits the right people (it's not like I played any part in the design of this workout anyway other than the fact that the author is using my 3x per week frequency to peak strength in the intensity phase). I should probably email my new writeup since it is vastly improved. Hell, this is probably the easiest to understand example of dual factor theory I've seen so I'll be saving this link for future inclusion in the TOC.

BTW - in case this comes off wrong. I don't care at all about the cut/paste - it's kind of funny to come accross it so randomly. I am glad to see he cleaned it up a bit, that original was written in a rush a few years ago and never proofed. I know it bothered me enough to rewrite it. If anyone wants to cut/paste anything I've written feel free. The whole point is to get the info to people that need it in the first place so if someone finds something valuable they are free to use, publish, distribute ect...

EDIT - shit, I just realized that neither my original nor the article really conveys that the 1x5/1x3 is a pyramid of 5 sets of 5 and 3 sets of 3. If I had only knows how many people might get directed to that post I'd have taken a bit more time.

Last edited:

Madcow2 said:
Hilarious - I don't fucking believe it. The sample workout is taken directly from my post on Fortified Iron a few years back. Other than some basic clean up this is a direct cut/paste. Check this out:

It's a great article and he credits the right people (it's not like I played any part in the design of this workout anyway other than the fact that the author is using my 3x per week frequency to peak strength in the intensity phase). I should probably email my new writeup since it is vastly improved. Hell, this is probably the easiest to understand example of dual factor theory I've seen so I'll be saving this link for future inclusion in the TOC.

BTW - in case this comes off wrong. I don't care at all about the cut/paste - it's kind of funny to come accross it so randomly. I am glad to see he cleaned it up a bit, that original was written in a rush a few years ago and never proofed. I know it bothered me enough to rewrite it. If anyone wants to cut/paste anything I've written feel free. The whole point is to get the info to people that need it in the first place so if someone finds something valuable they are free to use, publish, distribute ect...

wow...yo man..madcow, just give me the word and I'll go after him. I got your back (not that you need it lol).

Did anyone else notice that he talks consistently of 3/1 load/deload schema and then gives an example using 4 weeks of loading without explanation. Still, it is a very clear write-up of dual-factor principles.

Madcow, you do mention that you do a lot of warmups to get the required volume on the 1x5 exercises. That's close enough to a pyramid.

I think I'm going to try the original writeup of the program, where you use 5x5 and 3x3 on Monday and Friday, rather than subbing in the 1x5 and 1x3. In all honesty, the volume for my upper body seemed a bit low with the 1x5/1x3 days.

Top Bottom