Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

They are all the same program just different ways of saying it. The only actual variation was the 3 day 3x3 deload in the first post which I address further down as the volume is higher and requires some judgement for an inexperienced trainee (combining the terms judgement and inexperienced can make this an issue). Of course there's the beginners program too but the rest are identical.

Last edited:
Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Whats up man? I tried to write you the other day but your PM box was full. :worried: Anyway, just wanted to update you as I have completed the first 4 weeks of the program. Heres how my final day of the 4 weeks went (Friday workout)

Squats
Bar x 5, warmup
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
300 x 5
315 x 5

Bench
Bar x 5, warmup
135 x 5, warmup
210 x 5, 5 sets

Rows
135 x 5, warmup
215 x 5, 5 sets

What do you think? Im definately making progress... Im a little dissapointed in my bench,m its always been my weak point... But I am improving. The bent-over rows Im loving-Keeping back parallell, and doing it as an "explosive" movement from the floor each time... I feel this is one of my stronger lifts... Any tips or advice is appreciated as always...
Bionic

Just emptied the PM box.

Overall it looks good. I'm guessing you made all your weights for the record weeks. Next time through you'd want to hit these weights or ideally slightly above depending on how easy they were on week 3 and stretch it out for week 4. You also seem to make a significant jump in the bench and rows. You might find it useful to do a double/triple about halfway between your listed warmups and working weights as this is a big % jump at your working weight.

In regards to your bench - everyone has a lift they struggle with and the BP is a lift that is heavily determined by genetics so you handle the weight that is hard for you not for some guy who could press 315 his first time in the gym. There was a thread in the past day or so on improving your bench. There are some very good uncommon assistance exercises listed there - of course it's important to understand exactly where your weak point is and what will get you the most improvement. You could also take a look at your technique and see if there's some margin for improvement there. You generally won't see the benefits to a technique change until after you've implemented it for a while and it may feel almost detrimental at first compared to what you are used to but it's something to consider.

BionicBC said:
Whats up man? I tried to write you the other day but your PM box was full. :worried: Anyway, just wanted to update you as I have completed the first 4 weeks of the program. Heres how my final day of the 4 weeks went (Friday workout)

Squats
Bar x 5, warmup
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 5
300 x 5
315 x 5

Bench
Bar x 5, warmup
135 x 5, warmup
210 x 5, 5 sets

Rows
135 x 5, warmup
215 x 5, 5 sets

What do you think? Im definately making progress... Im a little dissapointed in my bench,m its always been my weak point... But I am improving. The bent-over rows Im loving-Keeping back parallell, and doing it as an "explosive" movement from the floor each time... I feel this is one of my stronger lifts... Any tips or advice is appreciated as always...
Bionic
Dumb question: Why do you work up the weight for squats while bench and rows have 5 working sets at the same weight?

Carl Carlson said:
Dumb question: Why do you work up the weight for squats while bench and rows have 5 working sets at the same weight?
Because this is the "day 3" workout, on your "day 1" workout it switches-YOu have 5 working sets of bench and rows at the same weight, and you work up to 1 set of max weight at squats, for a TOTAL of 5 sets (in all exercises) Your Day 2 workout is Squats (at 20% less weight than day 1-this lift is dropped after first 4 weeks) Deadlifts, Military Press, and Pullups.
Bionic

Carl Carlson said:
Yup, I'm an idiot - I had been through this thread a bunch of times before but didn't even realize that... Sorry.
S'all good.
Bionic

Top Bottom