Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Jim Ouini said:
Thanks for posting these.

I tried to find some more info on powershrugs but your summary pretty much covers it. The links to videos are real helpful too.

I tried these today and looks like I was doing it right (wasn't sure if I should try to hold it up top or not, sounds like I should).

I'd like to incorporate these - my question now is: I just finished wk 3 of the 5 x 5.

Can these powershrugs be incorporated at this time or should I wait for my 2nd run through. If so, what day would be best, Wed when I deadlift? or M/F after BB rows?

I would not try throwing them in on the volume record weeks. The answer really depends upon your tolerances.

The guidelines I give for this program with the pyramiding of certain exercises and squat moving around a bit ensure that if someone is reasonably conditioned and starts conservatively they can handle the loading phase. The 3x per week deloading/intensity/peaking protocol is frequently too much, even if you start conservatively you'll be pushed again at the end. There are two things that cause this -
1) I wrote it out with the idea that people would slash off some volume and take extra days of rest as needed. In general that hasn't happened and mainly because I didn't realize when I wrote it out originally that it would be followed by a lot of people who had never trained like this before and thus didn't know how to guage their own tolerances (kind of expecting people to walk before they crawl).
2) Effort went into the volume phase to make sure it was tolerable to almost anyone - the 2x version is a more appropriate parallel for the 2nd phase.The first post in this thread is a cut/paste from something I scratched down years ago at FI. I never intended it to be comprehensive and didn't take more than a few minutes with it - so no effort went into the second phase write up in the first post.

So anyway - my suggestion would be to complete the program and see how you tolerated the stock volume/intensity phases. At that point consider adding in the powershrugs for next cycle. You might want to spend a few weeks between cycles (assuming you plan to move back to the volume phase for another run through again) working on some weak points and practicing up on these figuring out what kind of weight you can handle.

Then I'd say make a judegement call. If you think you can handle some extra volume throw them in either 1x per week on Wednesday (you could use 5x5 - if the Wed volume gets too high you can rearrange the weekly volume into 4 days) or 2x per week on M/F (don't use 5x5 - just pyramid both days and do 3 sets of 10 from the high position). If you don't believe you can handle more volume but you want to incorporate them anyway, you'll have to substitute and the rows are a logical choice but if you do this you'll want to simulate the clean pull and use the low position (just above the knees) as this is a far better full body exercise than just the abbreviated shrug.

There are a lot of ways you can get this in, maybe 2 working sets twice a week. Essentially, you need to see how much room you have or don't have on the base program given the way you've set the weights this time and then base your decision off of that.

Update Madcow on my back.

So yesterday was friday and my back was feeling maybe 70-80% so I figured light backwork would be fine. I did 5x5 incline bench, went fine. I did 5x5 rows with weight reduce by about 50%. Went fine. Then my 2x20 rep squats, went fine. Then 5x5 with weighted dips.

Anyways, I had a bit of discomfort, to be expected but nothing to bad; so I go to pick up the 85 pound db I was dipping and ouch! There goes the back! Tweaked once again. I got a real thorough massage from the gf to help things, but grrr... it's just a bitch. Anyways, other lifts are all going smoothly and I like it quite a bit. Next week is week 4 and I can't wait for week 5 LOL.

Yeah - I hear that. I had a day where I did a lot of volume with over 400 on the DL then went to pick up a single 50 pounder and boom. The back is super sensitive to technique. I've seen the load physics plotted out on the spine where the back is rounded and the amound of force transfered to one side becomes exponentially higher. Avoid putting yourself in a bad position at all costs. Have you ever had a back problem before? The way it's going out it sounds as if this isn't the first time.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Madcow2 said:
Yeah - I hear that. I had a day where I did a lot of volume with over 400 on the DL then went to pick up a single 50 pounder and boom. The back is super sensitive to technique. I've seen the load physics plotted out on the spine where the back is rounded and the amound of force transfered to one side becomes exponentially higher. Avoid putting yourself in a bad position at all costs. Have you ever had a back problem before? The way it's going out it sounds as if this isn't the first time.

Nothing major. But working in a warehouse for the last 3 years of my life has taken its toll on my back.

Overhand. Although some prefer underhand due to bicepts involvement or "feel" I have never in my life seen a crew shell, or any boat for that matter, designed to be manned by underhand rowers. Considering they are set up to take optimal advantage of the rower's mechanics this alone says a ton. (caveate - it's not going to kill you to row underhand for parts or even all of the year but logically, if any advantage in rowing power could be gained it would have been implemented in at least some designs or used by some participants). Plus, EMG studies were done on lat activation and the version from the floor, arching the back, and rowing dynamically - using an overhand grip, tested significantly better across a range of athletes than all other alternatives.

********************UPDATE***************************
Week 9, Workout 2, 4/4/05

Deadlift-I know the rep scheme i used wasnt 3x3 yesterday, but this was supposed to be a record setting week, so i put it all on the line. Here's what went down:
135x3
225x3
315x1
405x1--New Record!
455x1--Killed my old record!!!! I was VERY happy with this. I almost bailed out, but i made it up, locked it out, held it, BAM! I was thrilled.

Military
BARx3---warmup
135x1---warmup
155x3, 3 sets
The last 2 sets were kinda tough, but I got em no problem.

Pullups
Bodyweight+35lbs x 3, 3 sets
This felt good.

Excellent job. Don't underestimate the significance of the DL going up. Pure weight gain can translate to better lifts in the squat and bench fairly easily but for the DL a lot of times it won't help nearly as much and can occasionally hurt. So a big DL increase means you are far stronger than previously.

Just wanted to say that I modified my bb-row technique so that I'm pulling from the floor each time. Previously I was keeping my upperbody parallel to the floor, but I didn't have nearly as much bend in my knees/hips (I also wasn't setting the bar down every time). After seeing those pictures I tried it the new way yesterday and I have to say I like it a lot more. I can see myself pulling a lot more weight this way... I'm psyched.

Top Bottom