Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

JKurz1 said:
very nice bro...better than 196 for 3 at 350lbs.......

ATF right?

THats the one thing that's gonna hold me back from this routine..........I can't stand leg day......no denying it.......I do it every friggn week, squat hard, but no denying how much I hate it.........squats 3x a week won't last for me...........
I used to HATE legs too, now its my favorite thing to do. When Im on a regular split, I ususally throw up on leg day.
Bionic

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Madcow2 said:
5X5 CLARIFYING LINKS / GOOD INFO SOURCES / EXPLANATION ON PROPER TECHNIQUE FOR BARBAELL ROWS AND POWERSHRUGS

Here are some other good clarifying links for the 5x5 Program and general info:

On weight selection and ramping up poundages to record weeks plus some other good stuff:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372686

Exercise substitution, dual factor, time between sets - a lot covered:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371821

Good sources for knowledge and information on training regardless of purpose:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4323293&postcount=3

Correct ways to do barbell rows (2 variations are covered in this thread - one standard at the top and one more dynamic towards the bottom):
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366601

How to perform the power shrug and it's uses in training (this is in a long thread about Penn State's use of HIT in their athletic programs - go to the very bottom post on the linked page and then read several of the clarifying posts on the next page for a full technique description):
http://www.fortifiediron.net/invision/index.php?showtopic=7109&st=100

I'm still not clear on how the power shrug is performed. I understand starting with the hang just above the knees, but then what? Is there a picture tutorial on this somewhere?

wallcrawler said:
I'm still not clear on how the power shrug is performed. I understand starting with the hang just above the knees, but then what? Is there a picture tutorial on this somewhere?

http://strengthtraining.asimba.com/fitness_info/muscle_group68.html

Look up the 'hang clean pull' - there is a video too. You are basically doing the same thing except that the weight is so heavy you can only accelerate it to the shrug position. Do not arm the weight at all. At the top of the shrug your body should be fully extened and the weight should be weightless for a moment (lighter weights may explode upward a bit requiring you to bend your arms - that's fine). Try to hold your traps in your ears (you won't be able to). Return the weight and repeat. Generally this is performed from the high hang position closer to the upper thighs but I tend to have people unfamiliar with the olympic lifts perform it from the traditional hang position as it's more of a full body movement and trains explosion better. Plus I'm not a fan of pulling much more than the shrug in any variation of the high pull anyway for several reasons that are a bit beyond the scope of this.

Madcow2 said:
http://strengthtraining.asimba.com/fitness_info/muscle_group68.html

Look up the 'hang clean pull' - there is a video too. You are basically doing the same thing except that the weight is so heavy you can only accelerate it to the shrug position. Do not arm the weight at all. At the top of the shrug your body should be fully extened and the weight should be weightless for a moment (lighter weights may explode upward a bit requiring you to bend your arms - that's fine). Try to hold your traps in your ears (you won't be able to). Return the weight and repeat. Generally this is performed from the high hang position closer to the upper thighs but I tend to have people unfamiliar with the olympic lifts perform it from the traditional hang position as it's more of a full body movement and trains explosion better. Plus I'm not a fan of pulling much more than the shrug in any variation of the high pull anyway for several reasons that are a bit beyond the scope of this.
At the end of each rep should the bar be resting on the arms of the power rack?

Madcow2 said:
No, you hold it yourself. Not a rack pull.
Use lifting straps?
Bionic

Oh yeah. Absolutely essential. There's no way an overhand grip can stand up to that kind of weight and momentum. Even a hook grip will get eaten away quickly if one is able to hold it. - still start light though and build up over a few weeks. Very taxing and very strenuous.

Madcow2 said:
Oh yeah. Absolutely essential. There's no way an overhand grip can stand up to that kind of weight and momentum. Even a hook grip will get eaten away quickly if one is able to hold it. - still start light though and build up over a few weeks. Very taxing and very strenuous.
I bought some hooks from ProWrits Straps ( a good company, IMO...) but when I went to use them for DL's, they slid inwards, and I wasnt able to maintain a wide grip. Same with weighted pullups. Maybe they'll be useful for dumbell rows.
???? :worried: ???? :worried: ?
Bionic

Rows should be heavy and dynamic (accelerating the concentric portion of the rep). If they slide on those they will certainly slide here. Just get a cheap pair of basic straps - you only need to wrap the bar once and this is preferable because the release will be fast and identical between sides so in the event of an emergency release, less chance of injury. It's a bummer to own them and have to replace them with something cheap and basic but I really don't know of any good use for those.

Madcow2 said:
Rows should be heavy and dynamic (accelerating the concentric portion of the rep). If they slide on those they will certainly slide here. Just get a cheap pair of basic straps - you only need to wrap the bar once and this is preferable because the release will be fast and identical between sides so in the event of an emergency release, less chance of injury. It's a bummer to own them and have to replace them with something cheap and basic but I really don't know of any good use for those.
Oh, dont get me wrong, I own straps too, I use them a lot actually, but Im kinda pissed I spend over $20 on some bullshit from an otherwise great company.
Bionic

Top Bottom