Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

JKurz1 said:
SO when do I do isolated dbell curls and abductor/adductor?

Just kidding bro.....I got it...........
Its also mandatory to do 30 minutes on a Gazelle every night.
Bionic :worried:

JKurz1 said:
SO when do I do isolated dbell curls and abductor/adductor?

Just kidding bro.....I got it...........
The thing to remember over the volume loading phase is that every exercise is done over 5 sets plus any extra sets you throw in as warm-ups. In the ones marked as 5x5 you'd do some warm-ups and then all 5 sets at a set weight. The exercises which are marked as 1x5 are also 5 sets of 5, the difference being that you ramp up to a heavier fifth set. In my log posting I didn't make any extra note of the weights used for ramping up in the 1x5 exercises and just posted the weight I used in the final set of the 5 sets.

You'd be doing at least 15 working sets per workout plus any extra arm, abs, cardio, grip work you'd want to throw in. There's little need to worry about being out of the gym in 20 minutes and there's no problem throwing in some isolation DB exercises once you've done the given exercises. If you happen to have a gazelle lying around then add that in too. Just don't go crazy and blast away to failure; maybe 3 sets of 8 and move on. When the deloading week comes around, you'll be glad for the changeover.

Last edited:
gotcha

so squats would be 225 x5 for 5 sets
and bench would be 200, 205, 210, 215, then max set of 225
same with rows 135x5, 145x5, 155x5, 165 x 5, then max at 185 x 5

on monday..........then toss in some aux work?

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Yeah - just make sure you are building each week to hit records in week 3/4 for each lift on each day (so don't start at your max). As for aux work - you won't be able to tolerate much if the weights are set correctly (meaning by week 3/4 you won't be able to do much else and anything you are doing will slide away). Good stuff to include would be barbell curls on monday for 3x8-10 reps and tricept extensions on friday for the same (arms get bombed with all the rowing and pressing anyway). On off days do some core work for your abs/lower back, do some cardio, rotator cuff exercises, stretching, whatever.

Your bench pyramid is also too narrow for a top set of 225. It will significantly tax you on the way up. I don't know if it was just a random example but it's spaced way too close.

EDIT:
I really caution you against starting it unless you are 100% sure you have everything down and a complete understanding. If you start too high you screw this program up and basically waste your time so it's worth a few days of delay to review and make sure you have everything down. Print that entire first page, bring it to the john and take a long crap if you have to. Once again, I'm not meaning to offend but a couple of the things you've posted give me the feeling that you might benefit from rereading some of that stuff.

Last edited:
Progress update.

Weighed myself today before and after lifting.

Before: 228lbs
After 230lbs

I was fairly dried out before lifting and had only had a protein shake an hour before. I figure I'm not any lighter than about 228 right now and probably be hitting 231-232 by the end of the day.

This is getting ridiculous in a GREAT way. I can't believe how the weight is packing on! This is the 6th week, or beginning of the intensity phase and I have already gained depending on how you look at, 14-16lbs depending on how hydrated I am. That's just obscene lol. I've gained like 6 more pounds in a week and I'm not even gorging myself, just eating a solid amount of food every 3 hours or so. I'm only taking tribulus and protein powder at the moment as I'm taking a break from creatine during the intensity phase and resuming on the next volume cycle. If this routine don't throw the weight, size and strength on you, NOTHING WILL! Best routine ever imo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yea, squatted 350 for 3 reps last night, @ 196lbs. :) :) :) :)
Bionic

very nice bro...better than 196 for 3 at 350lbs.......

ATF right?

THats the one thing that's gonna hold me back from this routine..........I can't stand leg day......no denying it.......I do it every friggn week, squat hard, but no denying how much I hate it.........squats 3x a week won't last for me...........

Top Bottom