Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hi all

Im a novice-intermediate lifter who went on the 5x5 intermediate program 6 weeks ago.

ive managed to increase my squats by 80lbs but my bodyweight only went up by 8lbs and i think half of that is water weight as well. i am pretty sure i eat enough every day. my current strength is

squat; 300lb
deads; 280
bench; 180
barbell;150
military; 90

i also wonder whether it is normal to have such a huge strength gap between my squat and my deadlift?

MORE IMPORTANTLY; 1)i strained my wrist when i fell over and it hurts when i lift. its really minor but it provides a mental barrier that makes me think i cant do the lift when im doing my heavy sets. should i keep doing 5x5, take a rest or go do isolation excersizes that dont hurt my wrists?

2)i was lifting 290lbs easily last week but this week i started having trouble on the 220. it wasnt really trouble, i could do it if i really wanted to do it but it felt like i was putting in too much effort. in the end i only did 4 sets of 220lbs because i couldnt bear to add weight to the bar. is this whats called a plateau? am i to deload?

3) i think i should take a rest as well. from what i understand from the dual factor theory i should be going light on volume every couple of weeks. so my question is this, am i suppose to keep eating alot during my light period?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the long post

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hi all

Im a novice-intermediate lifter who went on the 5x5 intermediate program 6 weeks ago.

ive managed to increase my squats by 80lbs but my bodyweight only went up by 8lbs and i think half of that is water weight as well. i am pretty sure i eat enough every day. my current strength is

this is good, but what makes you think this is water weight?... did you start a cycle?...

squat; 300lb
deads; 280
bench; 180
barbell;150
military; 90

are these actual lifts you made? or projected max's?...

i also wonder whether it is normal to have such a huge strength gap between my squat and my deadlift?

that is quite different, but maybe we can figure this out...

MORE IMPORTANTLY; 1)i strained my wrist when i fell over and it hurts when i lift. its really minor but it provides a mental barrier that makes me think i cant do the lift when im doing my heavy sets. should i keep doing 5x5, take a rest or go do isolation excersizes that dont hurt my wrists?

this new to lifting, id say you are probably not going to benefit much from iso work... if you cant work around the injury or go lighter, then maybe a little time off...

2)i was lifting 290lbs easily last week but this week i started having trouble on the 220. it wasnt really trouble, i could do it if i really wanted to do it but it felt like i was putting in too much effort. in the end i only did 4 sets of 220lbs because i couldnt bear to add weight to the bar. is this whats called a plateau? am i to deload?

that is not a plateau... a plateau would be sticking at the same weight for months... or longer......

3) i think i should take a rest as well. from what i understand from the dual factor theory i should be going light on volume every couple of weeks. so my question is this, am i suppose to keep eating alot during my light period?

depends on your goals.... if you are trying to gain weight, yes... if you are trying to cut, of course you are going to want to lower calories... but choose one, and stick with it for a good amount of time...

any advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the long post

see the funky colored response above...

thanks man

i didnt know the reply was on the next page lol

those are my current lifts at the moment.

im also training natty because i dont know where to find juice.

my wrist is almost healed atm.

Hey so I'm about to start the intermediate/linear madcows 5x5. Just have a few questions:

1) What happens say if i fail to complete the 1x3 on the friday or 1x5 on the monday? Do i redo that weight next week, because it will also affect the following week as you are either meant to do the 1x3 weight as a 1x5 on monday, or a 2.5% more 1x3 on a failed 1x5 on monday.

2) Is that 2.5% fixed? I'm inclined to believe no and it's more a guide, but i've been making progress previously by squeezing out 1kg or even 0.5kg on the SS program. 2.5% is a significant increase for some of my lifts (3-4kg) so I'm unsure whether I will be able to hit that big an increase.

3) In terms of the military press i'm going to be doing on wednesday, I'm wondering if the program is too bench-focused and whether the 1x week shooulders will be enough to progress for the press, and not cause it to lag behind the other lifts.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

heres a really late reply. i didnt reply because i wasnt confident of that the answers i would give would be correct.

1) if you fail the 1x3 i would redo the week. if i fail the 1x5 on monday i would do a few accessory excersizes before friday to bring up that excersize and attempt the 1x3 on the friday. success = add weight, fail = redo week.

2) 2.5% isnt fixed. when youre handling under 300lb i think its possible to add up to 5% per week. i think this is why i stalled at 290lb for a week tho. its generally a bad idea to go too fast.

3) the bench doesnt use deltoid muscles all that much so 1 x week shoulders will be enough. the bench press has the military press and the barbell rows to help it progress. the program is fine the way it is.

dont add too many accessory excersizes in until you are ready for the extra workload. 5x5 is a very demanding program if done right.

hope this helped.

Hello everybody,

I bumped into this thread after reading a matt reynolds article about dfht. I'm on page 47 right now and although many of my questions have been answered, i still have a few...

My stats are these (i'll put kilos and pounds so correct me if i'm doing the conversion wrong.Here we use metric system)

Low bar squat 5RM: 286lb (130kg)
Pendalay row 5RM: 198lb (90kg)
Bench Press 5RM: 216lb (98kg)
Military Press 5RM:165lb (75kg)
Deadlift 5RM: 308lb (140kg)

height: 183cm
Weight: 84kg
Bodyfat: 18%

what i started doing last week is this

Upper Body Workout 1
1. Slight Incline Barbell Bench Wide Grip - 4 straight sets x 10 reps - Rest 45-120sec
2.Dbell Incline 45degrees - 3 x 8-12 Straight set - Rest 45-90sec
3.Pendalay Rows - 5 x 5 straight sets - Rest 120-300sec
4.Neck pulls - 4 x 8-12 - Rest 45-90sec
5.Lateral Raises - 3 x 8-12 - Rest 30-45sec
6.JM Press - 3 x 10-12- Rest 45-120sec
7.Bis: Close Grip Chin Ups 3xfail - Rest 45-120sec
8.Bis: Standing Bbell curls - 2set x 6-9 - Rest 45-120sec
Rotator Cuff

Lower Body Workout 1
1.Low Bar Squats - 5 x 5 ramping to 5RM - Rest 45-300sec
2.(Seated Arch back) Goodmornings - 3 x 10-15 straight sets - Rest 45-120sec"
3.Pull Through - (3-5 sets) 4 x 10-12 straight sets - Rest 90-180sec"
4.GHR - (3-4 sets) 3 x 6-9 straight sets - Rest 45-120sec
5.Abs Leg Pull ins - 3 x 10 - Rest 45-120sec
6.Standed Cable Crunches - 2 x 10 - Rest 45-120sec
7.Standing calf Raises alternate legs - 5 x 15-20 - no rest"

Upper Body Workout 2
1.Flat Barbell Bench - 5 x 5 Straight Sets - Rest 120-300sec
2.Rack Lockouts - 1x3 - Rest 45-120sec
3.BB Military press - 4 x 10 - Rest 60-180sec
4.Dips - 3 x 6-9 straight sets - Rest 60-180sec
5.Pullups - 5 x failure - Rest 90-180sec
6.Skullcrushers - 3 x 10-12 - Rest 45-120sec
7.Bis: Reverse Bi Curls - 3set x 8-12 - Rest 45-120sec
8.Bis: Preacher Curls - 2set x 8-12 - Rest 45-120sec
Rotator Cuff

Lower Body Workout 2
1.Squats - 4 x 10 or 5 x 5 (every six weeks 2x20)- Rest 45-120sec
2.Power Clean - 3 x 5 straight Rest 45-120sec
3.Pullthroughs - 4 x 10-12 straight sets - Rest 45-120sec
4.Ham Curls superset with Leg Extensions - 2 x 6-9 straight sets - Rest 45-120sec
5.Weighted Hyperextensions - 3 x 10-12 straight sets - Rest 45-120sec
6.Weighted Side Twists - 3 x 10 - Rest 45-120sec
7.stability Ball weighted Crunch - 3 x fail superset with planks - Rest 45-120sec

First of all, a question about the set up. Do you think i should alter anything?

Then my main question:
I've never done rack lockouts, and i want to add these in, since my bench press sticking point is half way up! how do i incorporate those in the program? Should i always max to my 3rm or do i follow the same progressive loading principle as in 5x5?

is it ok to do them right after 5x5 bench?

can you give me an example of how should i load the weight for rack lockouts after bench press?

I must ask. On wednesday 4x5 days i do incline and deadlift(apart from squats) should i do 4set inclines 5 reps cuz it says "ramping weight to top set 5" is that 5 sets 5 reps? Im not from an english speaking country and have a hard time figuring out the point here, so please assist me my fellow gymbuddies

The 7 Secrets To Build Muscle FAST!
--The best foods to super-charge your muscle growth (and you don’t have to spend hours and hours cooking).
--The best workouts for gaining mass (you're going to be amazed when you learn how simple yet powerful these workouts truly are).
--The part of the body you AREN’T working out right now that will give you HUGE arms (Hint: it’s not your biceps).
--One simple macronutrient that will literally FORCE your body to create muscle.
--Why the way you sleep makes building muscle 10X easier or harder.

Click the Avatar to get the FREE report!

Hello, I have a question.
hang clean pull is a good alternative to Pendlay row?

I dont like that row and I dont have a coach who can teach Olympic movement.

Last edited:

Right Now The Amazing Spider Man 2 Movie Online

Top Bottom