Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Great deal of info in this thread, I appreciate it alot. I started training again about 2 months ago, after a 2 year lay off due to illness. I haven't seen any info regarding Bill Starr's Beginner routine, and I'm abit confused how it works compared to the intermediate routines.

Monday (Heavy Day – 85%)
Back Squats: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
Bench Press: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets
Deadlifts: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Wednesday (Light Day – 65-70%)
Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday’s weight
Bench Press: 5 x 5 using 60% of Monday’s weight
Pullups: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

Friday (Medium Day – 70-85%)
Back Squats: 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday’s weight
Bench Press: 5 x 5 using 80% of Monday’s weight
Rows: 5 x 5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 reps across 5 sets

How does the increase in weight work with this routine? Do you increase your weight on the heavy day, medium day?

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Maybe someone can help me out here. I've been reading everything Madcow has written and some more from sources he provided. One thing I'm interested in is how could we apply dual factor to a 1x frequency (body part split that hits a muscle once a week)? I'm interested in this purely for knowledge purposes.

Well this program is based on compund movements so it would take major adjusting.
Hyopthetically you can just get a base line of 5 or 1RM for each muscle group. Then do the calculations for the weight increases per set/ per muscle group.
You wouldn't get the same results as using compound exercises. But it will work

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

so im starting bill star's 5x5 soon. will be on var (+some other supps) and a lot of cals. was thinking something like this:
monday : what program suggests +1 biceps,+1 triceps excersise
tuesday : cardio,side abs,some traps
thursd : cardio,calves,pull ups (weighted)
wensd : what program suggests
friday : what program suggests
sutrd : cardio,calves,abs(maybe day. means if i feel tired i wont hit the gym just stay home and rest)
sund : REST

what you guys think of this??
thanks in advance !!

Lets give this guy a hand please. I know you guys know this program.

Ok I'll take a stab at it for you A1.
I have studied all of the 5x5 programs and more or less they are pretty much the same end with a different means. I personally like simple.
The Starr and the Cow are gr8 programs but for me too much messing around with all that.
So my preference is the Strong Lifts 5x5. I will write it out for you.
Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over rows. 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
OHP 5x5
Deadlifts 2x5

You workout 3 days per week.
You do everything with BBLS!
The first time thru this program you do it exactly as it is written. NO CHANGES!
You add 5 LBS to every excersize every workout except Deadlifts there you add 10 LBS.
As you can see you simply do 5 sets of 5 reps on everything excelp Dead lifts. You only do 2 sets if 5 on deads so you dont overload your CNS.
This is a hell of a lot of squating as you can see also.
I can tell you from expereince that this program is brutally effective and super simple.
It is a 12 week program and in that 12 weeks you will be amazed at how your weights go up and the size that you will add to your bod.
You have to feed this program to get the full benefit from it.
IF you want further discussion feel free to pm me bro.
Good luck to you man!

Hello I have a question regarding the Madcow training program, I got my hands on this sheet where you can input your 5RM and the sheet calculates the whole program for 3 months.
Is this program suitable for people who only have something like 8 months of training under their belt? Cause my stats are pretty low still.

Hi Nosferatu

you would still call you a beginner because of your training time, the calculator you have got is presumably the intermediate or advanced version, i would store that away for now and start on strong lifts 5x5 or Bill starr 5x5. And run that for 12 weeks.

Rather get your foundations strong and experienced then move over to intermediate (get that calculator spread sheet out) and plug in your new weights..

I am running this program for the second time now, the intermediate version and here are my stats as of now.
i am 23 year old male, and weight 96Kgs /211 pounds.. i weighed 85kg/ 187 pounds at the beginning of the year.
and i am 100% natural and very proud to say that. :)

My lift stats are as follows
Squat 5x5 = 320pounds /145Kg
Bench 5x5 = 286 pounds /130kg
Deadlift 5x5 = 407pounds / 185Kg
Overhead press 5x5 = 165 pounds / 75Kg (this is a new lift for this round, my previous was incline chest press for Wednesday and that PR was 253 pounds / 115Kg 5 reps
Pendlay rows = 242 pounds / 110 KG

I am now going through my deload week (5) and got the intensity phase left.

Here i aiming for 335 pound squat and 462 pound Deadlift by the end.

I came off typical BB programs hitting x1 Bodypart per week, and my progress has been second to none, i love this program

Hello all!

Just started the 5x5 program, using this simple version:

day 1:
squat
bench
rows

day 2:
squat
military press
deadlifts

day 3:
squat
bench
rows

plus the accessory exercises for each day

Anyway, I have two questions:

First of all, I have a job where my work roster is changing constantly (meaning no mon-fri roster), so basically i can't use the usual mon wed fri split. How much will this affect to this workout routine? Basically I will still keep my workouts 3 times a week, having one day rest between each workout and once a week 2 days off, but this 2 days rest might come between day1 & day2 (or day2 & day 3) workouts every now and then, and sometimes there might even be 3 days rest.

Second question concerning the accessory exercises: Is substituting weighted back hyperextension to machine version ok? I know one should not mess around with these given exercises (and especially not to bring machines into the workout), but our gym doesn't have the basic hyperextension bench.

Really excited about this new routine, and would appreciate your answers! :)

Top Bottom