Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hey i work out with someone that has 20inch arms and weighs 180 lol. He has the bench record for california though, hes a freak. he never trained lower body so he could stay in a low weight class. WHy does he have the ability to get super huge arms and stay light and small?

Good for you, everyone on the internet "knows someone"...

Is he natural? Either way there will always be an exception to any rule.

And I can only imagine what this guy looks like with "20 arms" and no wheels in a 180lb frame.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Well i wasn't planning on going too heavy. More around the 8-10 rep range. He recommends a 5-8 rep range for dips on friday and that works my chest more than triceps. So i just wondred if i could do another chest exercice that i prefer and that still could give me some strength gains

Do what you want, just don't call it Madcows 5 x 5 when you butcher it by adding exercises etc.

Hey Dj,

I'm switching the squat (and only the squat) over to 3x8s (5x5 is just not going up anymore). For the HEAVY day it's just 3x8. For LIGHT days, can I leave it at 4x5 (20reps), as long as the total work is less than HEAVY or should I move it to 3x8 (24 reps) as well? Also, for the MEDIUM day, it's 4x5 + 1x3 + 1x8 (31 reps), I'd like to move it to 2x8 + 1x6 + 1x10 or 1x8 (32 or 30 reps)... is this how I'm meant to do it?

Cheers.

Hey Dj,

I'm switching the squat (and only the squat) over to 3x8s (5x5 is just not going up anymore). For the HEAVY day it's just 3x8. For LIGHT days, can I leave it at 4x5 (20reps), as long as the total work is less than HEAVY or should I move it to 3x8 (24 reps) as well? Also, for the MEDIUM day, it's 4x5 + 1x3 + 1x8 (31 reps), I'd like to move it to 2x8 + 1x6 + 1x10 or 1x8 (32 or 30 reps)... is this how I'm meant to do it?

Cheers.

i think DJ is banned still... maybe permanently... so i will try to help...
how long have you been doing the program?... if you are doing the advanced, this would be a better time to deload than to mess with the reps and sets...
if you are doing beginner or intermediate it would be a good time to start advanced, as it has a deloading phase that is meant to get you past plateus...
it is a proven program and if i were doing it i would stick to the plan for at least 6 months before i tried changing things around... at least going through a deload cycle and ramping back up a couple times...
also your diet could be a factor... you have to fuel the lifts... if you are cutting the program most likely wont work very well... so make sure you are eating enough to grow...

ok.. i was reading the program a bit... and it clearly says not to fuck with the squats specificaly... as they are the foundation of the entire program...

The first time I ran the program was for 10 weeks and I only increased the squat from 105kg to 107.5kg. I believe this was because I was doing HIIT 2x a week as well.
I got sick, then ran the program a second time (now) and I've moved the squat from 102.5kg to 117.5kg (shit form here). It began to stall 5 weeks ago @ 120kg so I reset back to 112.5kg. During that reset period I added cardio 2x per week and switched to a cutting diet.

Today, I reached 120kg again and only got 2 reps (I only got 2 reps on the MEDIUM day as well). I got a PR on the bench today, got a PR on the press last week and will get one this week and got a PR on the power clean today as well. The only thing failing is the squat (shit recovery) and its pissing me off. Something needs to change.

I read the program description, and it said to change the rep/set structure, which is what I'd like to try. The alternative is to drop the LIGHT day squats by 15% and try for 120kg again next week.

youre squatting 3 days right?... i would do like the pure deload describes and drop down to squats only twice a week...
also you know on your medium day you are not supposed to use the same weight as heavy..right? so youre saying on your medium day you are only getting 2 reps with a weight lighter than what you are getting 2 reps with on the heavy day?...

youre squatting 3 days right?... i would do like the pure deload describes and drop down to squats only twice a week...
also you know on your medium day you are not supposed to use the same weight as heavy..right? so youre saying on your medium day you are only getting 2 reps with a weight lighter than what you are getting 2 reps with on the heavy day?...

on the medium days you're meant to test next week's heavy weight for 3 reps...
i've looked over my log, and stuff started getting harder after i added cardio, in both cycles of the program.
i'm just going to drop wednesday back squats by 25% and reduce the volume on the third and fourth sets for the squat and see what happens over the next week.
i'll keep you updated.

Hi Guys.

I have just started this program but I have 3 burning questions which I hope you can help me with.

1) On the spreadsheets I have seen of this program, there is no reference to chins/pull ups on a Wednesday but in many of the threads I have read on this subject, people often mention doing the chins/pull ups on a Wed. Which way is correct?

2) I really want to improve my Bench PR (My current PR is 110kg). With this in mind, would it be better for me to do incline bench press on a Wednesday instead of Military press?

3) If I chose to do incline instead of military, what effect, if any, do you think this would have on my shoulder strength/conditioning?

Many thanks for any help.

Hi Guys.

I have just started this program but I have 3 burning questions which I hope you can help me with.

1) On the spreadsheets I have seen of this program, there is no reference to chins/pull ups on a Wednesday but in many of the threads I have read on this subject, people often mention doing the chins/pull ups on a Wed. Which way is correct?

2) I really want to improve my Bench PR (My current PR is 110kg). With this in mind, would it be better for me to do incline bench press on a Wednesday instead of Military press?

3) If I chose to do incline instead of military, what effect, if any, do you think this would have on my shoulder strength/conditioning?

Many thanks for any help.

Any help guys?

Top Bottom