Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

That's a lot of soccer :)

Ya, too much. I wasn't expecting to play on one of the teams, just practice with them. The next thing I know I am signing with them only to find out some weeks we have 2 games a week. Now if I could just have enough self control to not have a few beers after reach game I may just loose a few lbs and shed some fat I have. But beer taste so good after playing a sport.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

The sprints could be getting ithe way of your squat progressing. The legs never have a time to actually rest if you're squatting monday, wed, friday and doing HIT tuesday and thursday.

On the wed light squat how are your legs? Do they burn as if they are fatigued, or is the squat still feel light? If you continue to do the Running on tuesday and thursday you can try front squat on wed, or may want to drop the squat on Wed all together to give those legs some recovery time.

You know your body, you know how it feels.

Either way, it is time reset your squat back 4 weeks and work your way back up. With enough recovery time your squat should go up again.

That makes sense. Now that you mention it, the wednesday squats (the last set) did fell tough.
I tried 105kgx3 (this is the weight that I did in the last week of the ramp up phase (wk1-5)) and it was ridiculously easy.

All I'm worried about is my bench beating the squat. It's at 88kg (i think i could go to 95kg easy), up from 77.5... :evil:

PS: How would you work in cardio then? If I do HIIT then that would interefere with the legs, what if I swim? would that interfere with the bench/military press? what if I alternate between the two so that the bench slows for a few weeks and the squat slows for the other weeks?

Last edited:

Don't worry about your squat vs bench numbers, that will sort itself out soon enough.

For cardio you can stick with the running, just try dropping the light squat on Wed and see how that works for now.

Don't worry about your squat vs bench numbers, that will sort itself out soon enough.

For cardio you can stick with the running, just try dropping the light squat on Wed and see how that works for now.

Hey dj,

Just did 107.5kg x5 for the heavy day and I kinda struggled with it. My weight has stayed the same over the past 2 weeks.
I can't believe I didn't mention this before but I just thought of it in the gym. I work on Saturdays from 9-5pm. My work involves pulling a 30kg trolley for about an hour and then walking around for the rest of my shift. By the time I get home my legs feel like I had just finished one of the heavy days and I get pretty bad pain if I decide to go out that night.
So it turns out that between the medium and heavy days I'm only getting one proper days rest (on Sunday) whilst my legs get screwed on Saturdays. I was thinking of changing the program to suit this as leaving work isn't an option lol.
If I miss 110x5 on Monday I'm thinking of doing the following:

1. Putting the heavy day on friday, light day on sunday and the medium day on tuesday.
  2. I'll switch the light days back squat to front squat and do cardio on one day.
  3. Instead of doing 5x5 on the heavy day, I'll do 4x5 and 2x3 (25 reps versus 26 reps) with the same 5RM weight for that week
  4. and if that doesn't work, I'll reset the whole program and replace back squat with front squat
PS: Sorry about bugging the crap out of you. This is the first time I've tried to "program" and I'd like to do it correctly :D

Hey dj,

Just did 107.5kg x5 for the heavy day and I kinda struggled with it. My weight has stayed the same over the past 2 weeks.
I can't believe I didn't mention this before but I just thought of it in the gym. I work on Saturdays from 9-5pm. My work involves pulling a 30kg trolley for about an hour and then walking around for the rest of my shift. By the time I get home my legs feel like I had just finished one of the heavy days and I get pretty bad pain if I decide to go out that night.
So it turns out that between the medium and heavy days I'm only getting one proper days rest (on Sunday) whilst my legs get screwed on Saturdays. I was thinking of changing the program to suit this as leaving work isn't an option lol.
If I miss 110x5 on Monday I'm thinking of doing the following:

1. Putting the heavy day on friday, light day on sunday and the medium day on tuesday.
  2. I'll switch the light days back squat to front squat and do cardio on one day.
  3. Instead of doing 5x5 on the heavy day, I'll do 4x5 and 2x3 (25 reps versus 26 reps) with the same 5RM weight for that week
  4. and if that doesn't work, I'll reset the whole program and replace back squat with front squat
PS: Sorry about bugging the crap out of you. This is the first time I've tried to "program" and I'd like to do it correctly :D

Scratch that, I woke up today after 14 hours of sleep and am feeling so fucking tired. My head feels like its about to explode and I can't move at all.
I think this is overtraining.

Sorry, I haven't been coming here as much lately.

Scratch that, I woke up today after 14 hours of sleep and am feeling so fucking tired. My head feels like its about to explode and I can't move at all.

You know your body best.

Maybe it is time to take a week off, just go in and have fun in the gym, see what your 1 rep maxes are, but don't do any volume. Maybe just go one day this week. Then reset everything back 4 weeks and start again.

If I have a month coming up where I know I am going to be doing a lot of activity (like soccer games back to back) I will reset my weight's for that month even if I am at a point where I don't need to. I do it so I won't get over trained with all the other activity I am doing for the week.

You can train tues, thurs, sat. wed, fri, sun, it doesn't matter what the days you are training on, as long as it is 3 days with one day rest in between, and 2 days off at the end.

Sorry, I haven't been coming here as much lately.

You know your body best.

Maybe it is time to take a week off, just go in and have fun in the gym, see what your 1 rep maxes are, but don't do any volume. Maybe just go one day this week. Then reset everything back 4 weeks and start again.

If I have a month coming up where I know I am going to be doing a lot of activity (like soccer games back to back) I will reset my weight's for that month even if I am at a point where I don't need to. I do it so I won't get over trained with all the other activity I am doing for the week.

You can train tues, thurs, sat. wed, fri, sun, it doesn't matter what the days you are training on, as long as it is 3 days with one day rest in between, and 2 days off at the end.

Yeah I'm just going to take a week and a half off from the gym (I haven't been away from the gym since last december). When I get back I'll reorganize the program around my work schedule and probably reduce the light day squats.
Also, for the power cleans, I'm going to do 4x5 and 2x3 instead of 5x5. Cleaning 5 reps in a row is pretty nasty...

I'll just be riding my bike around for now. Thanks for your help.

Anyone who sleeps 14hours will feel like crap, if i get past 9 hours of sleep I feel like a complete retarded and slow for most part of the day.

Just saying that you shouldn't judge your body/training on this particular experience.

Anyone who sleeps 14hours will feel like crap, if i get past 9 hours of sleep I feel like a complete retarded and slow for most part of the day.

Just saying that you shouldn't judge your body/training on this particular experience.

I don't know what to make of it but I'm guessing it's better to be safe than sorry. My joints were aching, my legs felt dead and I couldn't really move properly. I also kept falling asleep throughout the day. It might not be overtraining but its not what I normally feel like in the morning.

I don't know what to make of it but I'm guessing it's better to be safe than sorry. My joints were aching, my legs felt dead and I couldn't really move properly. I also kept falling asleep throughout the day. It might not be overtraining but its not what I normally feel like in the morning.

Ok then just take the week off and don't any exercise at all, not even cardio, Dj's is right cardio is hindering your gains completely, why are you doing it anyway?

Top Bottom