Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Will do.

Also, what happens if my squat's 5RM ends up being 107.5kg? Do I still restart the WHOLE program ?(im doing the intermediate version).

PS: When testing the 5RM what intensity should I be aiming for? Should it be comfortable, medium or really hard to get all the reps out?

Thanks

You said you have already failed to get 107.5 so I doubt it will be 107.5. If you manage to get 107.5 then that is your 5 rep max. Remember, you won't be lifting that again for 5 until week 5, as we are going to start conceivability.

The 5 rep max is your max. The most weight you can get 5 reps with, having good form. Anything above that 5 rep max weight you can not get 5 reps with.

Again, you won't see that weight again till week 5. That will give your body enough time to recover and build up to that weight again. By week 5 you'll be able to get that weight no problem and keep adding weight to the bar the following weeks.

read the site, he talks about micro loading etc.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

I would also suggest simply reading this thread as all the questions you are asking have been answered by Madcow himself earlier in the thread.

Start at page 1 and read a little every day. You will have a better understanding of the program.

I would also suggest simply reading this thread as all the questions you are asking have been answered by Madcow himself earlier in the thread.

Start at page 1 and read a little every day. You will have a better understanding of the program.

I did that and found this little gem:

madcow2 said:
It's easier to work backward than forward. Figure out your 1x5 max, adjust downward around 10% (likely a bit more) for your 5x5 max. Put these weights at week 3. Then work backward and fill in the ramping weeks 1/2 - be conservative and start reasonably. As you go through weeks 1/2 keep watch and make sure your next week's weight and future target is still reasonable - adjust as needed. Assuming week 3 was successful add a "guess"timate to it for week 4 (if you missed the weight remains the same). Week 5 is the same weights as week 4 just the 3x3 rep scheme.

You can do the same exercise for 3x1 and 3x3 for week 8 and back out 6/7. Once you hit week 4/5 you can look ahead and readjust as needed. As you progress through the weeks just keep an eye on the next week and the target record adjusting as needed. When you hit week 8 add an increment to week 9 for all successful lifts.

After completion of the program take your week 4 and 9 successful records and you can place them in the week 3/8 slot (ideally these weeks should be records too so you'd add an increment to your previously successful records). Then do the same exercise of working forward and back but this time take into account how well you tolerated the loading/deloading and where your weights were set. Maybe you should start a bit higher on the ramp, maybe lower. It depends on you.

The most essential factor the first time through is that you start reasonably, have a plan, and be able to adjust it as you go. Maybe your target for week 3 is too light considering your success in week 2. Maybe too heavy and you want to back it down a bit and slide down week 4 also.

Once you've established pertinent records and have an idea of your tolerances, it's smooth sailing and you can really dial this program in and tailor it specifically to you. A log is invaluable.

I'll start reading lol. I'm guessing this still applies to the intermediate version?

I did that and found this little gem:

I'll start reading lol. I'm guessing this still applies to the intermediate version?

This is for the advanced dual factor version.

Just get your 5 rep maxes and as I suggested, put them in week 5 to give yourself a little more time to ramp up the weight.

The advanced dual factor is a little different where you're building up to one single PR, where the intermediate you are making PR's every week for as long as you can (after week 4 or 5 in your case). You want to be on the intermediate for as long as you can as it is much better to be making PR's every week than every month or longer.

Keep reading. I would suggest reading his website first, and then this thread to see what questions he has answered here.

This is for the advanced dual factor version.

Just get your 5 rep maxes and as I suggested, put them in week 5 to give yourself a little more time to ramp up the weight.

The advanced dual factor is a little different where you're building up to one single PR, where the intermediate you are making PR's every week for as long as you can (after week 4 or 5 in your case). You want to be on the intermediate for as long as you can as it is much better to be making PR's every week than every month or longer.

Keep reading. I would suggest reading his website first, and then this thread to see what questions he has answered here.

Cool, will do.

I went to the gym and found out the 5RM for two of my lifts so far. This is what I did today:

Squats: Barx5,55x5,67.5x5,80x5,80x5
Mil. Press: Barx5, 40kgx5, 50kgx4, 60kgx5 (5RM), 55kgx5 (Difficulty was 8/10)
High Pulls: 50kgx5, 60kgx5, 75kgx5, 85kgx5 (5RM) (Difficulty was 9/10)
Chins: 3x5 @ B.W
Abs: 2x10 @ B.W

Just on the high pulls, I've been doing them how I've been taught from my olympic coach. Like a deadlift to begin with, then explode at the knees and shrug high. With the 85kg weight I can shrug it just above my belly button. With the 75kg weight I can shrug it to my nipples.

I'll get the squat, power clean and bench press 5RM in two days.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that when I squat, as I'm coming out of the hole into the "standing" position, the bar bounces on my traps, which bruises them like a mofo and it sometimes makes me lose tightness in my back. Should I come up out of the hole more slowly?

Cool, will do.

I went to the gym and found out the 5RM for two of my lifts so far. This is what I did today:

Squats: Barx5,55x5,67.5x5,80x5,80x5
Mil. Press: Barx5, 40kgx5, 50kgx4, 60kgx5 (5RM), 55kgx5 (Difficulty was 8/10)
High Pulls: 50kgx5, 60kgx5, 75kgx5, 85kgx5 (5RM) (Difficulty was 9/10)
Chins: 3x5 @ B.W
Abs: 2x10 @ B.W

Just on the high pulls, I've been doing them how I've been taught from my olympic coach. Like a deadlift to begin with, then explode at the knees and shrug high. With the 85kg weight I can shrug it just above my belly button. With the 75kg weight I can shrug it to my nipples.

I'll get the squat, power clean and bench press 5RM in two days.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that when I squat, as I'm coming out of the hole into the "standing" position, the bar bounces on my traps, which bruises them like a mofo and it sometimes makes me lose tightness in my back. Should I come up out of the hole more slowly?

I am no expert on squatting form (or any form for that matter), but you want that explosiveness as later on as the weight's get heavier it will help. The weight bouncing could be due to the bar you are using. I find that cheaper bars will start to bend easier as the weight goes up, the better made bars tend not to bend as much and not bounce as much at the top of the squat.

wouldn't it be more beneficial to do deadlifts more, then just 4sets a week. This board does say that deads are great for size, so why only 4sets in the madcow 5x5

wouldn't it be more beneficial to do deadlifts more, then just 4sets a week. This board does say that deads are great for size, so why only 4sets in the madcow 5x5

Why are you so dense?

Do it as it is.

Why do you think you know better then proven strength coaches as Bill Star and mark Rippetoe? How many olympic athletes have you trained in your lifetime?

Don't fuck with the program, why is that so hard for you to understand? I

Do some reading and find the answer to your question on your own. Then maybe you'll understand just how stupid your question is.

im asking a simple questions, dont have to jump on everyones case when someone trying to learn or asking a question about the 5x5. i'm here to learn and asking questions is the best way to do that.

So I went in and tested my 5RM for squats, bench and power clean today. This is what I did:

Squat: Barx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx5, 90kgx5, 100kgx4, 105kgx5 (Difficulty = 9/10)
Bench: Barx5, 40kgx5, 50kgx5, 60kgx5, 70kgx3, 77.5kgx5 (Difficulty = 9/10)
Power Cleans: Barx5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x3, 77.5x3 (These were really slow and I had to muscle them up so I just stopped), 70x5 (Difficulty = 8/10)
Dips: 3x8 @ B.W

So my new 5RMs are: (old ones in brackets)

Squat: 105kg (107.5kg)
Bench Press: 77.5kg (75kg)
Power Clean: 70kg (75kg)
Mil. Press: 60kg (57.5kg)
High Pulls: 80kg (90kg)

There's only a 2.5kg difference between my squat 5RMs. I guess this'd mean the difference between 5 and 3 reps.

Top Bottom