Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Hey guys have started this program tonight i have used the 5x5 calculator
and have used the weights that its told me to.
i havnt seemed to be anywhere near maxing out on any of the sets??
is this ment to happen for a couple of weeks or are you ment to be setting new prs from the start??? Hellppppp..

Did you read the website at all?

It is supposed to be easy for the first 4 weeks. You'll be making PR's every week form week 5 and on. It is better to start conservative, get your body ready to make the Pr's that are ahead. Stick with it.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Did you read the website at all?

It is supposed to be easy for the first 4 weeks. You'll be making PR's every week form week 5 and on. It is better to start conservative, get your body ready to make the Pr's that are ahead. Stick with it.

djeclipse! Where you been bro? Good to see you.

This 5x5 is so sick im doing it now, loving it! so on point!

djeclipse! Where you been bro? Good to see you.

Hey Hows it going?

I've been busy with personal stuff, have been training on and off, but not as much as I should have. I am finally back on track and will try not to let to much get in the way of training.

Every once in a while I'll get a notification that someone replied to a thread I posted in a while back and I'll check out the board. I saw there were a few 5x5 threads going so I replied to a few.

To be honest one of the main reasons I stay away from the board is for some reason the colours of the board, the contrast of the text and the background give me a really bad headache. I always thought it was tension in my neck form doing squats, deads etc. but I realize it was just a coincidence as I was always reading this board when I was training. Other message boards are fine. It would be nice if there were other "skin" options or if we could customize it ourselves.

To be honest one of the main reasons I stay away from the board is for some reason the colours of the board, the contrast of the text and the background give me a really bad headache. I always thought it was tension in my neck form doing squats, deads etc. but I realize it was just a coincidence as I was always reading this board when I was training. Other message boards are fine. It would be nice if there were other "skin" options or if we could customize it ourselves.

customizable skins would be a cool feature, I agree. I think it has been brought up in the past. Not sure what the story is though. I'll bring it up again though. ;)

customizable skins would be a cool feature, I agree. I think it has been brought up in the past. Not sure what the story is though. I'll bring it up again though. ;)

It probably has something to do with the software they use.

Maybe an alternative skin for us to choose from. For me it is just the contrast of the lettering and the background here. 5 min of reading posts here and I get a headache that lasts all day.

I read these message boards all day long and have no problems.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

BeaverDams Racing :: Index

The slight colour difference, of the text and back ground make a big difference.

Hey guys,

I've been on the program for 23 days now and i'm liking it. I've put on about 1.9kg so far, hoping to put on a 10 more and get over 100kg :D

I have been having problems with monday squats. Unfortunately, I haven't been preparing myself for these heavy sessions e.g. last Monday, I tried to do a heavy session with 2 hours of sleep and without having eaten for the whole day. I ended up getting to the 4th set of squats before I decided to quit and come in tomorrow. On Tuesday, I attempted the 5RM but only got 2 reps out. Again, I didn't eat anything that day and I did do 4 sets of squats on the day before. I decided to drop back to 100kg and do 4 reps so I wouldn't be missing out on any of the work.
Anywho, this has happened for the past 2 sessions and ONLY on mondays. However, when Friday comes around, I'm able to get my 3RM easily. My question is, should I continue the program without resetting and with better planning or should I drop back until I'm able to complete a monday session?

Well fellahs, good news. I got 110kg x3 today, so I guess I missed the 107.5x5 on monday because I needed fooooooooood.

Hey guys,

I've been on the program for 23 days now and i'm liking it. I've put on about 1.9kg so far, hoping to put on a 10 more and get over 100kg :D

I have been having problems with monday squats. Unfortunately, I haven't been preparing myself for these heavy sessions e.g. last Monday, I tried to do a heavy session with 2 hours of sleep and without having eaten for the whole day. I ended up getting to the 4th set of squats before I decided to quit and come in tomorrow. On Tuesday, I attempted the 5RM but only got 2 reps out. Again, I didn't eat anything that day and I did do 4 sets of squats on the day before. I decided to drop back to 100kg and do 4 reps so I wouldn't be missing out on any of the work.
Anywho, this has happened for the past 2 sessions and ONLY on mondays. However, when Friday comes around, I'm able to get my 3RM easily. My question is, should I continue the program without resetting and with better planning or should I drop back until I'm able to complete a monday session?

How are your other lifts going, are they going up still?

You shouldn't be failing on any of your lifts in the first 4 weeks. That tells me you made the same mistake most people make and set your weights too hight right from the start.

The first 4 weeks should be easy. Even without much sleep you should be able to get all your reps in the first 4 weeks guaranteed, as you are just building up to your 5 rem maxes by week 4.

Now that you are starting to fail you have just wasted the last month (or 23 days) as instead of adding weight to the bar for weeks to come you will probably start to fail on all your lifts soon, having to start all over again.

Check the ego, start conservatively and you will get so much more out of the program.

This program when done properly works amazingly, planed over reaching (not over training) when done right is a great thing. In the later weeks, when you're adding weight to all your lifts, eventually on friday you will barely get that 3 rep set in, and think to yourself there is no way you'll get 5 on monday. Then monday comes, and you get that 5 reps. Then firday comes and you think you'll never be able to add more to the bar after just making the reps last week, yet you get it (and so on). This program in the later weeks is hard on the body, you'll sleep like a baby at night as you'll need all that rest to recover.

Point being, it seems very easy at the beginning, only 3x per week, only a few different exercises, but once you start adding weight to the bar and making PR's, get into that over reaching part of the program, it is tough.

How are your other lifts going, are they going up still?

You shouldn't be failing on any of your lifts in the first 4 weeks. That tells me you made the same mistake most people make and set your weights too hight right from the start.

Well I put my 1RM (120kg) into the excel sheet, and that's what I'm basing it off. I did this 1RM in November of 2008, so I didn't see a problem with it.
On that day, I also missed the power cleans. These felt extremely sluggish and they were not fast enough, and I've had this happen to me when I tried power cleaning without much sleep/food, so I thought the same thing happened again. My bench press is still increasing, but my military press is starting to get hard.

Now that you are starting to fail you have just wasted the last month (or 23 days) as instead of adding weight to the bar for weeks to come you will probably start to fail on all your lifts soon, having to start all over again.

Check the ego, start conservatively and you will get so much more out of the program.

Well I tried 110kg x 3 on Friday and I got it. I felt like I could do 110kg x 4 to be honest. I'm guessing that if I could only manage to squeeze out 107.5kg x 3 on Monday and I easily got 110kg x 3 on Friday, then I either became stronger or I didn't rest/eat well.

To be honest, my sleeping patterns are really screwed and I do think that it is impacting on training. Most nights (~4 out 7) I get 6.5-7 hours of sleep MAX whilst on the other 3, I might be lucky to get 8-9 hours.

Top Bottom