Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Thanks Blut Wump. Now that I think about it, that seems to make the most sense. By following MC2's advice to try and hit maxes in week 4 and set pr's in weeks 5 and beyond, that's already 3 weeks or so of "warmup weights," no?

You could look at the first three weeks that way but it's not really accurate. Think of it more as three weeks of ramping to get back to your PR weights in the same way that you have ramping sets within a workout to hit your top set. In the process, your body will acclimatize to the weights and you'll get some momentum which should carry you through your old PRs and on into fresh territory afterwards.

I know that sounds like a bit of nonsense in saying that you get 'momentum' but it's a reasonable analogy and it seems to work like that for almost everyone.

I was thinking about starting the Bill Starr 5x5 Linear Version/Single Factor. One thing I am not sure about. The program suggests hypers as one of the assistance excercises on mondays. I suppose that the purpose of hypers are to make my lower back stronger. Though, both a PL coach, my naprapat and a masseuse that I once saw has told me that my lower back are very big and very strong. Therefore, I figure, maybe it is waste of time to do hypers - the program contain deadlifts, and I have been doing deadlifts once a week for almost a year now. And I've never been doing hypers. Actually, I figure it would be better used time if i replaced the hypers with an excercise for biceps femoris. My suggestion would be 1) leg curls, or 2) leg curls alternated with SLDL:s every other week. For myself, I think that this is a good choice. I find support for my idea in the 5x5 texts that emphasize the importance of a training program being adapted to the specific trainee. But I am not all certain of my opinion; it is several times said in the texts that "everybody who tries this for the first time want to change excercises, but that's just because they don't understand better".

I know all this sound a bit silly, but actually I am just out for some one with experience of this program (maybe even madcow2?) either grants my idea, or rejects it - and if I get a reject, I would love an explanation of why.

Regards,

David

EDIT: Pardon my rotten english, I am from Europe.

That will work fine, give it a shot. Leg curls are a great assistance exercise to assure you don't neglect the hamstring development. Go for it.

Maybe I am going out of bounds here - but perhaps some calves work wouldn't do any harm? Here is a picture of a guy who obviously tought that it would.
attachment.php

Honestly, everyone here is going to tell you to just leave it as it is, and I'd be inclined to agree. However, the calves really don't respond well unless you train them directly, or you go run some intervals. If you can handle the work load, by all means do it. Heel raises aren't draining on the body.

G'day everyone,

I am coming off a shoulder reconstruction and have been unable to train for the past 6 months. I am now categorising myself as a beginner and just recently I stumbled across this website and Bil Starr's 5x5 approach. However, I've noticed there isn't a program for beginners and by no means am I ready to undertake the intermediate program this soon after hitting the iron again.

Just a couple of questions for you all.

1) Does anyone know of any good, basic beginner programs that can act as a segway into the intermediate program?

2) I've noticed that on the intermediate program you are to squat 3x per week and deadlift 1x per week. Is there a reason for this? Would it be fine to switch them and deadlift 3x per week and squat 1x per week?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Kudos to Madcow for storing all the info on the geocities site. Great resource for newbies!

the intermediate version is the same for beginners.
i'm guessing the squats outnumber the DLs and not the other way around because of the greater CNS drain from the latter.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

silver_shadow said:
the intermediate version is the same for beginners.
i'm guessing the squats outnumber the DLs and not the other way around because of the greater CNS drain from the latter.

So should I proceed straight into the intermediate program? I'm just a little confused because on one of the earlier posts in this thread (can't find it at the moment) states that it is advisable to cut the volume if you are a beginner.

Re: Deads and greater strain on CNS... Is this proven? Just curious as to why this would be the case? Deadlift involve more of the human musculature then the squat?

Hmmmmmmm... So much to learn! :idea:

Top Bottom