Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

nelmsjer said:
Regarding the rest times, you are absolutely correct about those, too. My issue is that I am blessed to be in Iraq, where we literally work 12 hours per day, 7 days per week. Going anywhere for lunch (in this case, our workout) requires that we are back within an hour, and we aren't paid for it. I'm up at 0600, at work by 0700, workout at 1300, and am finished with work at 2000. By the time I've gone to get food at the cafeteria and eaten, it is 2100. My wife and I are in bed and asleep by 2200. All that to say that my lunch hour is the only time we have to workout, and unfortunately, longer rest periods are not an option. I know without a shadow of a doubt that my strength increases would have been even better. :)

Ahhh - I see, that's some serious constraint. Well, all I can do is thank you for your service, hope that your strength gains made your tour a bit more enjoyable there, and wish you a safe return. Those are some tough constraints on time and sleep and this isn't an easy fitness style program. You should be proud of your progress and even the fact that you attempted and got through the program.

FYI - updated TOC is now in this thread (first post). It is not as comprehensive as what is on the Geocities site but it's just too hard to update and format an internet forum. There is a large link right at the top that leads people to the updated TOC on Geocities most of which in turn links back here although the programs have better templates and excel downloads on that site.

Also, someone gave me a karma donation a while back. Unfortunately I needed to make room in my PM box and everything got deleted that day before I could thank them or say anything. I forget who it was as I only saw the notice for a second before I realized what was going on but I hope this serves as an adequate thank you and you realize I didn't just totally blow you off.

Thanks blut_wump. I'm kinda' leaning towards reramping b/c that'll give me a sort of periodization, I guess. I'm a little afraid of reducing volume in my 3d and 4th sets even further (right now, doing 3 sets of 5, one set of 3, then going for my 5th set). I could probably squeeze out another PR but I'm not real comfortable going straight for my max set after a minimal warmup.

Anyone else? [original question is post # 1066 in this monster thread]

Programming is such an important concept but there's so little info. on it and it's kinda' hard trying to coach yourself through it -- the blind leading the blind. LoL

One more quick update: I mentioned that I would be testing deadlift this week. I just got back from that, and 455 went up very, very nicely...considerably easier than when I did 425. It was absolutely awesome, because I know I have more in me, and that was a lifetime best. Based on my time constraints, I didn't shoot for another, because I also wanted to test military. I am extremely confident in 495 after my next 5x5 cycle, which will end in about 13 weeks.

I have never tested military before, so I do not have comparison numbers. I am happy with the result, though, and it is certainly more than I have ever done. 185 lb. went up with no leg dip. It was actually interesting, because once my triceps kicked in, it flew up! Getting it past the sticking point was a tough one, though. I'll definitely call this one VERY close to my true max.

Again, I can't be more satisfied, not only with the program, but also with what I am learning along the way. Great stuff!

Madcow2 said:
FYI - updated TOC is now in this thread (first post). It is not as comprehensive as what is on the Geocities site but it's just too hard to update and format an internet forum. There is a large link right at the top that leads people to the updated TOC on Geocities most of which in turn links back here although the programs have better templates and excel downloads on that site.

Also, someone gave me a karma donation a while back. Unfortunately I needed to make room in my PM box and everything got deleted that day before I could thank them or say anything. I forget who it was as I only saw the notice for a second before I realized what was going on but I hope this serves as an adequate thank you and you realize I didn't just totally blow you off.
Chefwide was running a weekly karma collect-and-donate over in C&C. Enough people must have put your name forward as a recipient for all the help you've given us on here.

Nelmsjer, congrats on your gains. That's a satisfying pull.

Protobuilder, let your warmups be warmups and distinct from your work-sets. I start my benching with a set of 10 with just the bar and another set of 8 or 10 with some small plates added and then a set of 5 or 6 with a bit more weight. I also change grips through these early sets. I then think about what I'm supposed to be doing. If I'm heading for a flat-weight workout then I'll ramp my way up to the weight but my mind is no longer thinking of these as warmups.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Protobuilder said:
Programming is such an important concept but there's so little info. on it and it's kinda' hard trying to coach yourself through it -- the blind leading the blind. LoL
The Practical Periodisation book sounds like it's pretty much dedicated to this exact topic. I'm just disappointed it won't be published until around July.

http://www.lonkilgore.com/books.html

Just thought I'd share another success story. Good friend of mine, member here but never posts, ran the DF 5x5 twice so far. In 4 mo's, gained 15 pounds (guesses about half is fat though). Here's his strength progress:

Squat jumped 40 pounds
Bench went up 30 pounds
Rows went up 35 pounds
Military went up 15 pounds
Deadlift went up roughly 50 pounds

Madcow2 said:
nelmsjer - great results. Your 1RM potential is probably a bit better since it seems you didn't actually do much in the way of actively preparing for it (i.e. doubles/singles to peak).

Madcow-

This is something that I haven't seen addressed yet. How would you suggest setting things up with this if one was interested in peaking for max 1RM's?

There'd be a progression of doubles and singles, generally along with the other work. So some kind of volume or loading stage then deloading and peaking toward a 1RM attempt. If I were you I'd look at the Korte 3x3 program at Deep Squatter. His is setup according to this. Granted he's doing it all with 3 lifts (you only squat, bench, dead 3x per week the entire time) but the fewer the lifts and moving parts the easier it is to see the underlying waves. You'll see basic but lowered volume work during deload and a layer of heavy lifts progressing on top of it.

There's a lot of ways to go about something but that's probably the easiest. Figure the kind of volume you need to deload and peak, the lifts you are testing or peakig, overlay a progression on top, adjust the volume if necessary to deal with this, and then back into your previous weeks.

Top Bottom