Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr Question

Don't you post on BB.com? Your name seems familiar.

There are tons of "variations" of 5x5 programs. Spend some time on madcow's geocities site and read EVERYTHING. once you grasp the bigger picture, you'll see just how many variations are possible. It's linked in the training vault sticky above.

lifting n tx said:
Shoulders seem to be a problem area for many. I haven't had problems, but I've become convinced that preventative medicine is the way to go. Some suggestions, based on what I've read in various places...

1) Strengthen the shoulder in all planes of motion...horizontal pulling and push (like rows and bench presses), vertical pulling and pushing (such as chins and military presses). Many guys are a lot stronger on bench presses than rows, pull downs, military, etc. To some degree this may be natural but mostly due to underemphasis on other exercises relative to bench press.

2) Do rotator cuff exercises just as religiously as your regular workouts. They're really important for shoulder stability.

3) If something is causing pain, switch exercises, back off the weight or whatever until the pain stops.

I'm not a shoulder expert and can't speak to your particular injury, but I think those are good general suggestions.

Oh, also, PL type bench presses where your elbows are more like 45 degrees out are easier on the shoulders than BBer type benches with the elbows way wide.

thanks for all the tips....i know a lot of it already....but thanks noentheless....and ur right BB style bencing hurt my shoulder all the more!

protobuilder said:
Don't you post on BB.com? Your name seems familiar.

yessir i do...actually, i know u from bb.net because im a good friend of 0311 :)

protobuilder said:
There are tons of "variations" of 5x5 programs. Spend some time on madcow's geocities site and read EVERYTHING. once you grasp the bigger picture, you'll see just how many variations are possible. It's linked in the training vault sticky above.

do u know where u can find other variations of Bill Starr's program?? any links would be great..i know of the SF and DF programs on madcow's site, but im referring to the other variations like the one i posted above.

You really don't need to dig up variations if you can read between the lines. If your shoulder allows you to incline, I don't see how flats are a problem, but for whatever reason, if you don't want to train flats you don't have to, lol.....just sub in a press to train progressively ......

Mon: Push Press.....Wed: Dips.....Fri. Incline

Mon: Incline.....Wed OHP.....Fri: Incline

Mon: Decline....Wed Push Press....Fri Incline

I can go on all day, the possibilities are endless....just read through the MC2 site, and if you can make your own substitutions, then reread it because you aren't grasping it the way it was intended to be understood.

BiggT said:
You really don't need to dig up variations if you can read between the lines. If your shoulder allows you to incline, I don't see how flats are a problem, but for whatever reason, if you don't want to train flats you don't have to, lol.....just sub in a press to train progressively ......

dude: i CAN do flat...i just dont LIKE to do flat...but i get ur point :)

Mon: Push Press.....Wed: Dips.....Fri. Incline

Mon: Incline.....Wed OHP.....Fri: Incline

Mon: Decline....Wed Push Press....Fri Incline

hmm...interesting

I can go on all day, the possibilities are endless....just read through the MC2 site, and if you can make your own substitutions, then reread it because you aren't grasping it the way it was intended to be understood.

i read the site and i read what pendlay wrote regarding this too..

but i am unable to figure out how to change the set rep scheme, etc and the exercise selection....

thanks for the help

Andalite

BiggT said:
You really don't need to dig up variations if you can read between the lines.

What he said.

For an example of the thought process behind the two Madcow routines that should help you to "read between the lines", I like this post where Madcow has a couple of quotes from Glenn Pendlay.

Lifting N Tx said:
What he said.

For an example of the thought process behind the two Madcow routines that should help you to "read between the lines", I like this post where Madcow has a couple of quotes from Glenn Pendlay.
those quotes are priceless...i think i can come up with a great 5x5 program using that...thanks

I thought your name looked familiar. I remember it b/c your posts were some of the few that made sense on BB.com. LoL Tell 311 I said hey. I should stop by his site more frequently.

J.V. Askem has some 5x5 variations memorialized on Jesse Marunde's site in the articles section. www.marunde-muscle.com

There's a 5x5 article on T-nation as well that goes over quite a few variations. I don't have the link but you can search on there and find the article.

Basically, once you get the big picture, it's all gravy. Squat, press, pull. Several times a week. Focus on movmeents not bodyparts. Plan out a logical progression and strive to add weight consistenly. Gear everything around adding poundage to a handful of lifts. That's it.

For chest, you could try DB presses or low incline rather than flats.

Protobuilder said:
I thought your name looked familiar. I remember it b/c your posts were some of the few that made sense on BB.com.

thanks for those kind words sir...yes, i do have some stickies on bb.com, but i dont post there so much anymore....im tired of answering newbie questions, etc...im now a supermod on another website so i dont really feel like posting on bb.com so much..i do post there in my journal and a few other ppls journals though

Tell 311 I said hey. I should stop by his site more frequently.

u should...bb.net is great :)

J.V. Askem has some 5x5 variations memorialized on Jesse Marunde's site in the articles section. www.marunde-muscle.com

There's a 5x5 article on T-nation as well that goes over quite a few variations. I don't have the link but you can search on there and find the article.

thanks sir

Basically, once you get the big picture, it's all gravy. Squat, press, pull. Several times a week. Focus on movmeents not bodyparts. Plan out a logical progression and strive to add weight consistenly. Gear everything around adding poundage to a handful of lifts. That's it.

For chest, you could try DB presses or low incline rather than flats.

u got a pm bro mine :)

Not meaning to hijack this thread or anything, but I am currently adhering to the Mark Rippetoe (3 x 5 starting strength program) and am seeing some good strength gains.

Is the program listed above a good segway into the Bill Starr intermediate 5 x 5 program? Or should I go straight ahead and follow the intermediate program upon stagnating with the 3 x 5 program?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yips said:
Not meaning to hijack this thread or anything, but I am currently adhering to the Mark Rippetoe (3 x 5 starting strength program) and am seeing some good strength gains.

that program is GREAT. i added 250 lbs to my core lifts in 8 weeks. it is a REALLY good program. if u need help in it let me know. i was an intermediate lifter when i did the program, so it wasnt possible for me to add 5 lbs to the bar everytime i hit the gym. but i found a way to work around that. one important tip is that use fascia stretches for ur legs ever alternate session. it will pay off in recovery and muscle memory along with hypertrophy.

Is the program listed above a good segway into the Bill Starr intermediate 5 x 5 program? Or should I go straight ahead and follow the intermediate program upon stagnating with the 3 x 5 program?

im not sure what u mean. if u are asking whether u should do 5x5 after mark's program then i agree with u. the above program i posted is a variation of bill's program...u can do that because it too is a 5x5 program...

peace

Andalite

Top Bottom