Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr Intermediate questions

MightyPitbull

Hi, I'm a new members and I have a few questions for the Bill Starr 5x5 routine (Madcow Intermediate version)

Q#1 Let's say that I get stuck on week 4 for monday's bench, do I keep weight the same and try to get 5 reps again next week? And also, how is that going to affect friday's bench since it calls for increasing my top set of 5 from monday's by 2.5% and go for 1x3. Do I just use last week's (last monday) number for it?

Q#2 If I don't have access to weighted dips, would it matter if I take out the exercise completely?

Q#3 I would like to add weighted pull ups and power shrugs to the routine. If possible, when should they be performed and how (in terms of sets and reps)

Thanks!

MightyPitbull said:
Hi, I'm a new members and I have a few questions for the Bill Starr 5x5 routine (Madcow Intermediate version)

Q#1 Let's say that I get stuck on week 4 for monday's bench, do I keep weight the same and try to get 5 reps again next week? And also, how is that going to affect friday's bench since it calls for increasing my top set of 5 from monday's by 2.5% and go for 1x3. Do I just use last week's (last monday) number for it?

From week 1 to 4 you shouldn't stall on any of the lifts as you are working up to your 5 rep maxes. If you have stalled before or on week 4 you let your ego get in the way of the program when choosing your starting weights. A lot of peope do this, especially with bench, becasue they all need big chesticles.

After week 4 you are making PR's every monday, you should be making PR's for a few weeks at least. My first time through I was able to add 5lbs to my bench for 8 weeks, some can go 12 some longer.

When you get to a point where you don't make your reps you can make a smaller jump in weight. 2.5lbs instead of 5lbs.

eg.

You fail monday at 205. Next monday try 202.5 x 5 and then the next week go for 205.

The goal is to add weight to the bar every monday, keep things moving. Eventually you won't be able to add 5lbs every week so you make smaller jumps 2.5lbs. I have some chains from home deopt that weigh 2.5lbs total. I put them on the bar for the 2.5lb increase.

If you fail even with the smaller weight jumps you reset the lift and work back up from there.

200 x 5 you make. 202.5 you fail, your new 5 rep max is 200. Start that lift over, go back 4 weeks and work back up to the 200. You will gain momentum again and make PR's again after week 4 again.

If you find you are stalling on every lift, reset the entire program, go back 4 weeks and start over on all lifts. This would be kind of a deload as the body eventually needs a rest.

Q#2 If I don't have access to weighted dips, would it matter if I take out the exercise completely?

Accessory lifts don't matter much, Madcow even says Squat, bench, rows, over head press and Deadlift (or cleans) are the primairly lifts, the goal is to add weight to those lifts every week.

If the accessory lifts such as curls, tri extentions, dips, pull ups etc. get in the way of the big lifts don't do them.

So yes, you can drop weighted dips if you want, though I like to do them on Friday.

Q#3 I would like to add weighted pull ups

Pull up's are on Wed, after light squat, Over head prss and deads... I do them 3 sets of 5 adding weight when ever I can. Though how you do them isn't really that important, as long as it doesn't burn you out and effect your other lifts.

Don't forget abs. Weighted sit ups to strengthen your core. I prefer decline.

and power shrugs to the routine. If possible, when should they be performed and how (in terms of sets and reps)

I would suggest you don't do power shrugs. with heavy deads (or power cleans) once a week your traps will get more then enough work, and adding in power shrugs will negatively effect the primary lift (deads/ cleans). Lifts like Power shrugs are there to work on a weakness in a lift (such as dead lift). they are not a core movement and not necessary right now.

with the rows and heavy deads your back and traps will grow.

If there are any more questions just ask.

Thanks for the answers, I have one more question that I don't fully understand.

I'll just use this as an example. For week 8, I get 200x5 but next week let's say I only get 205x4

For the following friday (1x3 using 2.5% above my monday's top set of 5), since I failed to get a new pr (205x4), do I use the same weight from last friday?

MightyPitbull said:
Thanks for the answers, I have one more question that I don't fully understand.

I'll just use this as an example. For week 8, I get 200x5 but next week let's say I only get 205x4

For the following friday (1x3 using 2.5% above my monday's top set of 5), since I failed to get a new pr (205x4), do I use the same weight from last friday?

The friday x 3 is just getting you ready for the monday's 5 rep PR.

If you get all 3 for 205 on firday, but fail for 5 on monday... the following friday, you can repeat 205 x 3 again, but come back monday and try 202.5 x 5.

If you get it repeat 205 x 3 on Friday again and then 205 x 5 on monday.

If on friday you fail to make 205 x 3, your body is telling you need a little rest and I would suggest using 200 for your 5 rep max and reset it 4 weeks, work your way back up.

MightyPitbull said:
Okay, it was a little confusing trying to understand all by myself but I can see everything clearly now.

Thanks a lot!

basically once you get to that point, what you do friday isn;t that important, you could do 205 x 3 or 202.5 x 3, it's all about getting the 202.5 x 5 on monday. Just listen to your body.

Top Bottom