x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Bill Starr and 4 Day Split?

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Bill Starr and 4 Day Split? within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: Summer is here and I want to try something a little different. I really like the 5x5 program that I have been doing however, I find myself wanting to do a little more. I was thinking of maybe adding in a 4th day and doing a workout like this: Tuesday: Squats, Bench (85%-90% of max) Thursday: Deadlifts, bent over Rows (85%-90% of max) Saturday: Front Squats, Incline Bench (60%-75% of max) Sunday: stiff legged deadlifts, power cleans (60%-75% of max)

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All Natural

Bill Starr and 4 Day Split?

Summer is here and I want to try something a little different. I really like the 5x5 program that I have been doing however, I find myself wanting to do a little more. I was thinking of maybe adding in a 4th day and doing a workout like this:

Tuesday: Squats, Bench (85%-90% of max)

Thursday: Deadlifts, bent over Rows (85%-90% of max)

Saturday: Front Squats, Incline Bench (60%-75% of max)

Sunday: stiff legged deadlifts, power cleans (60%-75% of max)

Has anyone done something like this before? Would Bill Starr disapprove? What are your thoughts?

Re: Bill Starr and 4 Day Split?

I have and it works well.....in fact, in "The Strongest Shall Survive" Starr himself recommends eventually training Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri (or Sat) when it gets to the point that doing the big 3 on one day takes you 3 freaking hours because of all the warm-up sets and rest between the heavy sets etc.

All Natural

Quote Quote posted by BiggT
    I have and it works well.....in fact, in "The Strongest Shall Survive" Starr himself recommends eventually training Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri (or Sat) when it gets to the point that doing the big 3 on one day takes you 3 freaking hours because of all the warm-up sets and rest between the heavy sets etc.
    Thx for the fast reply. So what exercises does Bill recommend to do on the 4 day??

I just finished something similar to what you want to do. Look at my log to see what i did: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...og-543278.html

Good Bro

This is something that I'm interested in also. swanky11 was kind enough to summarize his routine for me and BiggT has done the same for someone in his log. Hopefully they won't mind and this will save them the trouble:

swanky11's routine

BiggT's routine

I've also seen the log of someone (on another forum) who trains at Mark Rippetoe's gym, and was surprised that Rippetoe had moved him to a 5x5 based split. Until then I had thought that maybe 3x/week full body was sacred.

I do have one question for BiggT or anyone else experienced with doing things this way. As I alluded to, in the Madcow routines and in the Texas Method that Rippetoe talks about in Practical Programming, there is a middle light day. I think this is intended mostly for active recovery and a moderate added stimulus.

So in terms of workload and programming I'm wondering if when you go to 2x/week frequency for a movement, do you adjust the workload much due to dropping the middle day, or pretty much just do the same as you would have for the other two workouts just without the light day?

I have been doing a M-F workout program for a long time now and it work out really well all round.. This split gives the various muscle groups a few days to
    recoup prior to being needed in supporting roles..

Monday - Chest / Tri
    Tues - Back / Bi
    Wen - No heavy lifting - Heavy Cardio / Abs / Misc weak areas(grip,forearms,traps)
    Thur Legs
    Fri - Shoulders

All Natural

Quote Quote posted by Lifting N Tx
    This is something that I'm interested in also. swanky11 was kind enough to summarize his routine for me and BiggT has done the same for someone in his log. Hopefully they won't mind and this will save them the trouble:

swanky11's routine

BiggT's routine

I've also seen the log of someone (on another forum) who trains at Mark Rippetoe's gym, and was surprised that Rippetoe had moved him to a 5x5 based split. Until then I had thought that maybe 3x/week full body was sacred.

I do have one question for BiggT or anyone else experienced with doing things this way. As I alluded to, in the Madcow routines and in the Texas Method that Rippetoe talks about in Practical Programming, there is a middle light day. I think this is intended mostly for active recovery and a moderate added stimulus.

So in terms of workload and programming I'm wondering if when you go to 2x/week frequency for a movement, do you adjust the workload much due to dropping the middle day, or pretty much just do the same as you would have for the other two workouts just without the light day?
    Yea your questions are the same as mine. A standard 5x5 has a Heavy - Light - Medium day for the Bench and Squat. How does that work on a 4 day split? Do we just do Heavy - Medium on 2 days????

Pro Bodybuilder

I have had a few variations of 4 days splits, although they are really two day splits done twice a week. I tend to break my workouts into pulling and pushing days. A sample of this weeks split:

Day 1 (monday/thurs):
    Bench 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    Ancillary
    Abs
    Rotator cuff

Day 2 (tues/fri):
    Pullups 5x5
    Power clean 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    ancillary

I am thinking of adding dumbell rows to day 2, but it is already a longer workout than day one since there is one more core lift.

Quote Quote posted by loco75_dfw
    Yea your questions are the same as mine. A standard 5x5 has a Heavy - Light - Medium day for the Bench and Squat. How does that work on a 4 day split? Do we just do Heavy - Medium on 2 days????
    thats what i do. one heavy and one medium no light day.

Quote Quote posted by BiggT
    That is good to know. I have been thinking about doing this. I thought I was just getting more lazy cause it seems to take much longer now to get thru the sets. By the time I finish lifting and then do cardio I am there forever it seems.

Perp