Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bill star glenn pendley 5x5 periodized version template

hereforadvice

*can I use this template in kilograms?

*i filled it in in kilograms and what strikes me is that the 1x5 and 1x3 sets start with very high warm up and very small increments towards the working set

it's weird, is this maybe because it doesn't work with kilograms?

for example to ramp up to a working set of 3x163kg it suggests 2 warm up sets, 3x130kg and 3x146kg

am i supposed to start with 130kg or do more warm ups building up to that?

or is it just i'm not used to starting with a pretty big weight in the first set?

Both systems are linear in respect to one another so yes you can use kg.

You should always warm up with the bar first and make no larger jumps than 90lbs.

You could do...
bar x many
50kg x 5
75kg x 3
100kg x 1
130kg x 1

one more question

from the web page
TWO VERY IMPORTANT POINTS

1. When running this for the first time, you want to be constantly thinking about how realistic expectations are (i.e. is next week too high or too low) and making changes as needed to bring you up and time things correctly.

2. After you have run this even once, do not rely on this spreadsheet. You will do infinitely better with even the tiniest bit of experience, a pencil, and your brain which is worth infinitely more than the fanciest of spreadsheets.

So for the first time i'm going to follow the template exactly (i have small discs so can even match the exact percetage weights)

but after that you're not supposed to use the template anymore? but you would still train by percentages? or just like "how many kg can i lift for x reps and x sets?"

confusing

The second point you posted is basically saying that after you have experience with the program, you don't need to stick exactly to the template. If you can't make 2.5% jumps on all lifts, then make smaller jumps as appropriate, etc. Other examples would be that you don't need to do exactly the warmups or exactly the accessory exercises advised.

The point is to do the program as written the first time, and as you get more experienced, you can modify it as appropriate. Like any program, it's written for the general population and therefore it is not specifically tailored to any individual person.

what cato said. one u get exp u will know what works for your body. the first time u do it, it is just a guideline to get the general point of how the workout works. now that u have an idea how it works you can adjust to your personal needs. go lighter on your light days for better recovery, maybe your on cycle and want to go up 5 pounds a week, maybe ur body can handle more i personally do my 5x5 in circuit fashion and on my heavy days where i dont add more weight i do 8 reps instead of 5. u just gotta learn the basics before u can tinker. just like anything else in life

hey guys, thanks for all the great info so far, i have two small questions left and then I won't bother you again for a couple of months :biggrin: (i promise lol)

*can i do front squats on the "light" squat day on wednesday. i wonder because i come from an olympic lifting back ground and may get back into it next year or so. well there only are "light" days in the 4 week volume phase, not in the 5 week intensity phase anyway

*what can i do to improve a slight case of excessive lordosis i've been trying to address? i definitely must have got it from neglecting abs and hamstrings for years, while blasting away at lower back and quads with my olympic lifting i was doing. i'm trying to understand those "force couples" articles and whatnot from t-nation but could use some practical tips on what to do.

so far i have gathered

*do NOT stretch hams, rather strengthen hams and stretch lower back (surprising because i always considered my hams tight, but supposedly that's because they're tensed because they are weak and under more tension they can handle?). so do I just add leg curls twice a week or what?

*strengthen abs, but not hip flexors? so only crunches and not the decline sit up bench i've been using?

thanks guys

another question on this program

I just finished the "volume phase", i spent a couple of weeks longer on it than i was supposed to because it seems i respond better to small increases weekly

can i do the same in the intensity phase? make it longer so that i can use smaller increases in weight weekly?

increasing the weight fast seems like a recipe for failure in my case

Edit: When I reference "loading phases" below, you can read that interchangeably with a "volume" phase.

To answer your previous questions (though it's a bit late):

1. Yes, you can do front squats on the Wednesday workout instead of light back squats. Given your background, if you can front squat an exorbitant amount compared to your back squat, you don't want to push it too aggressively on Wednesday, since it is a "light day" for your squats. Weight comparable to the weight you would otherwise be back squatting on that day is probably sufficient. You can do something like 3x3 at same weight (with warmups) or maybe 5x3, ramping to a top weight.

2. Generally, you want to strengthen abs and glutes, and stretch your hip flexors. Avoid doing abs workouts that place a lot of the load on the hip flexor, since this will only exacerbate the problem.

For abs: Perhaps regular crunches off the floor, though raising your chest up to your knees is mostly hip flexor. Ideally, things like planks and weighted planks for ~1min, paloff press variations, cable chops and lifts, ab wheel are good choices.

For glutes: Deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, wider stance squats/box squats, hip thrusts/weighted hip thrusts, pullthroughs, etc. Things that focus on glutes. I guess for you the hip thrusts and pullthroughs would be ideal since really you're looking for assistance work, not main exercises. You might consider pulling sumo on Wednesday if you aren't already or adding some backoff light sets with a sumo stance, assuming you are doing deadlifts. That would depend a bit on what exactly you're currently doing though since the advanced madcow does leave some room for personal variation (ie sometimes recommending pulling 5x5 deadlifts sometimes 3x5).

As to the newer question:

Yes, increase the weight as slowly as you can and are willing. The smaller the weight increases you make, the longer you'll continue to make progress. If you have something like 0.5/1kg plates, feel free to use those as jumps where appropriate.

Also, yes it is okay to prolong the phases. Again, its a program written for the masses, so there are preset, planned deload periods. Granted, most people won't be able to endure intense loading phases for very lengthy periods. That said, if you are consistently making the weights week in and week out, then ipso facto you aren't overtraining. Most people don't work out hard enough to require planned deloads. Extending the phases is exactly the type of thing that madcow encourages once you are experienced enough with the program. The point though, speaking to your earlier question, is that without having prior experience or a coach, it's difficult to gauge when and how to make these types of modifications.

As to specifically prolonging the intensity phase, you may not want to prolong it too long, because you could, for example, be starting a new loading phase for your lifting instead; given that your body was up to it. In that case you'd be making faster progress, since more tolerable loading=better/faster gains in strength, work capacity etc.

Top Bottom