Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BigOkie & Screwball Training...

Screwball

BigOkie and I trained together on Friday night. We missed the Benchmonster but he had family obligations to attend to. Hopefully, next time the entire Okie Crew will be present.

I met BigOkie in his hometown and we trained at his gym. It was very respectable and had a couple of pieces of equipment that my home gym doesn't have (i.e. glute/ham raise). It was dynamic squat day so we set some bands up in the power rack. We used the blues and the tension was high. I'm 6'2" and BigOkie is 6'5" so at the top the tension really is heavy. For every additional inch the band is stretched it is probably adding at least another 5-10 lbs. of tension per band. So the difference between me at the top and Big Okie at the top is 3" or 30-60 lbs. of tension. Very significant! We worked up in weight until 225 lbs. of bar weight and hit our sets there. I tried a set at 275 lbs. but tweaked my right oblique walking the weight out. It is the same injury I sustained about 6 weeks ago doing heavy walkouts and static holds. It's sore today but not as bad as the first time around. Next, we pulled some speed deadlifts. We worked up to 315 lbs. alternating both conventional and sumo pulls. BigOkie is really helping me with my bar placement and technique on pulling. I feel better about my deadlift. Both of us had really good speed. Then we did some Glute/Ham Raises. This is the first time I have ever done these and I sucked at them. It was hard for me to hold my upper body in a rigid position and it's just another sign that my core is weak. I felt it in my rear chain but it was more like a hyperextension when I did them. Once my core is strengthened I will benfit more from these in my hams and glutes because I will be able to fully contract the muscles over a larger ROM. BigOkie had no problem repping the GH raises and he even used additional weight. If I had access to a GH Raise and a Reverse Hyper then I know that I could make some significant gains in my rear chain strength. We finished off the workout with ab work. We did standing pulldowns for reps and static holds, hanging knee/leg raises and oblique twists with a high cable.

I want to thank BigOkie for allowing me to train with him. He bought a one-day membership for me so that I could train and he bought the post workout meal. There is nothing better than sitting down after a hard training session to eat and have a couple of beers.
Hopefully we can get together next week and do it again. Thanks again BigOkie!

- Screwball

Definitely good to train with someone else. This is the first time I've ever seen someone else do box squats and it was good to see that I think I am doing them right. My gym is okay, not great. The power rack sucks!!! It is narrow and has braces that extend out the back, so even though we squatted outside the rack I still can't get my feet out wide enough. I'll have to figure something out. Screwball had a little trouble with GHR, but I understand. It took me forever to get to doing full reps on it. But now I can do sets with over 50#. I've brought my hams up to the point where they are no longer my weak point, now It's my hips that are weak. So now I get to start doing ultrawide stuff and very low box squats to get them up stronger. Training went well and it was good to have dinner with him as we got to talk about alot of training related stuff. We missed Brian, but I'm sure next time. I'm disapointed Screwball didn't have his shirt in yet. Hopefully by Wed. so he can try it out on ME day.

By the way, a friend of mine at the gym knew Danny Burton. He's a close friend of his dad. He has a HARDCORE gym in Duncan, only about 30 minutes from where Screwball lives. So hopefully he'll be able to train there. I think just training with him every once in a while would be awesome.

All in all it was a good day and I'm looking forward to training with them again.

I hate it that I could not make it there with you guys. It sounds like it went very well, though. If we don' t have a game the next time you guys decide to get together, I will definately be there.

GHR's are a bastard. I am terrible at them too. I have so many weak spots in my posterior chain it is hard to list them all. We all need to get stronger there.

Let me know when you guys want to get together again for a Max Bench or a Friday night workout. Looking for about a 530 bench in July. Need some help gettin there.

B.

We missed you at the workout but I really didn't have a good training session. I'll have to get clean before my workouts improve, I'm afraid. One more week!

I'll be rolling through Tulsa either Friday or Saturday on my way to Bentonville, AR. So training this weekend at the Dungeon would, at least, be convenient for me. I'm game for whenever we can get together again, though.

I spoke to Karen about my shirt this morning and apparently she's back-logged at the moment. She said it would probably ship today or tomorrow at the latest. I should receive it on Thursday or Friday. I can't wait to test that mofo out.

530 in July... Hummm, I'm thinking you may be able to do even better than that. How about, 490 - 520 - 550, damn that sounds good. You may have to have a tighter shirt when you go up to 550 though. What do you think?

Friday sounds good. Saturday I am out of town. Sunday I will be back. I am set to go D.E. Squats friday and M.E. Bench Sunday. Just let me know when you can be there.

As for your suggested numbers in July, we will have to see how training goes. If I compete in the 220's those may be a bit out of reach, but if I go 242's then that is probably just about right.

It was very difficult to get the 475 to touch at 220 last time, so I am thinking I will have to go 480 or 490 to be safe on the touch, especially if I go in the 242's because the shirt will be tighter. I will probably wait and see how my bodyweight is acting a couple weeks before the meet before deciding.

I am confident I can win the 220's and I have no doubt that the best I could hope for in the 242's is second place to Jason Jackson, and third place if Kim decides to compete. I know it is not all about winning first place, but it is nice to win, and right now, those guys are just way out of my league in the 242's. So that is impacting on my decision as well.

We will see. But if all goes well, I will probably attempt something similar to what you recommend.

B.

Damn, Benchmonster! Do you think that there will be any way to get down to the 220's in four weeks? I think you'll be in the mid-230's at least. If you can make the weight without killing yourself then I say hit the 220's if not then just focus on hitting PR's in the 242's. Who knows what will happen? Jason & Kim may withdraw due to injury or bombs may occur. In the end, all you can do is control what you do and let everything else fall as it may. I can't wait until you crush that 500 lb. barrier officially.

I have been trying actively to keep my weight down. Friday I weighed at the doctor and was 225. But no deca right now. That may change things dramatically. I was wanting to stay in striking distance of 220, but as I said above, things may change rapidly in the next month. If after the first couple weeks on the gear if it looks like hitting 220 is impossible, then I will come in as heavy a 242er as possible, probably around 235 or so.

I am very very confident 500 will be destroyed, officially in the July meet. Whether I go in the 220's or 242's there is no doubt about 500 going up. I am thinking for a third, probably around 530 at 220 and maybe 550 or so at 242.

We'll just see how things pan out. I will let you and bigokie evaluate me after Sunday's workout. I think you guys know where I stand better than I do anyway.

C-ya,

B.

Top Bottom