Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

big lifts with olympic lifts

I was wondering if doing big lifts (squats and deadlifts for me) would be ok to do while I do many sets of olympics lifts for every monday, wednesday, and friday? I do about 6-7 sets of around 3 or less reps for the olympic lifts like snatches and stuff, I just wasn't sure if adding in squats and deadlifts would tax out my CNS even more.

well not 3 times a week stright away, work capacity takes time to develop

I would start out easy and se how you go, but ou cn always deload and rest up every 2-3 weeks

experiment!

alright, what if I replace back squats with overhead squats, and deadlift once a week? I was thinking something like this:

MON:
OH Squat-6sets/3reps
Push Press- 6sets/3reps
Power Cleans- 6 sets/3reps
Snatch- 8sets/3reps

WED: (low volume/lighter weights)
Front Squat- 2sets/5reps
BB Press- 2sets/5reps
BB Snatch- 2sets/5reps
Deadlift- 1set/5reps(heavy)

FRI: (PR's carried over to monday's workouts)
OH Squat- 1set/3RM
Push Press- 1set/3RM
Power Clean- 3sets/1RM
Snatch- 3sets/1RM

I'm just going by the texas method, but I figure OH Squats will take away that overload since they won't be nearly as heavy as back squatting (same with the front squat on the light wednesday), plus it should help with Snatch form. And then later on in my training if I need more work I can figure out what to add or increase. whaddyathunk?

man that's a whole lot of volume

if you can handle it, go for it, may need to deload every 3 weeks me thinks

you press and then snatch ? That does not compute for me :)
I think your shoulders will be pretty tired, same for OH squat - then push press

maybe your better off stretching out the cycle over 2 weeks to space out the exercises better

I read practical programming, and I thought I got this right the first time, but idk. Maybe for the monday workout I could either drop cleans and presses for the actual clean & jerk to drop the volume, or I can keep it the way it is and drop the reps to singles or even doubles. also switch around the OH Squats with front squats so I reduce the amount of shoulder work being done. man this stuff is crazy lol.

I think I'm gonna order this book called The Weightlifting Encyclopedia. I found it at www.wlinfo.com, perhaps this book can help me out also. Any of you ever read it and recommend it?

you should be doing the olympic stuff first in the workout

also, any more than 3 compound movements per workout and you're likely to overtrain.

do something like:

snatch
squat
press

C&J
Row
Overhead Squat

Alright, how does this look:

Monday:
Snatch 8-10x2
Clean & Jerk 8-10x1
Front Squats 5x5
Pull-ups
Abs

I included warm-up sets for the snatch and C&J, so it's about 4-5 warm up sets to a final work set of 4-5, that's why I have 8-10 up there. Same for front squats, 4 warm up sets to a final work set of 1x5.

Wednesday:
Snatch - same as monday
C&J - same as monday
Front Squats 75% load for 3x3 (not including warm-up)
chin-ups
abs

The only thing idk about here is whether the snatch and C&J should be the same work load as monday or if it should be a 75% load also.

Friday or Saturday (PR day):
Snatch - 10x1
C&J - 10x1
Front Squat - 1x5 (or 5x1?)
Deadlift - 1x5 (not including warm-up)
pull-ups
abs

snatch and C&J includes warm-up singles to final work sets of singles with increased weight (2.5lbs to 5 lbs increase). Now should I be 5 sets of singles or should I be doing less? Also the front squat I don't have warm-ups included, but I'm just wondering with the weight increase if I should be doing a final set of 5 reps or a few sets of singles? And I also figured I could do warm-ups with a final set of 5 for the Deadlift, since I'll have a full weekend of rest and stuffing my face for recovery.

I read around that the main two lifts should be practiced at least 2-3 times a week, including front squats, but I mainly just want to get good at the Snatch and C&J. My diet is good, lots of clean food (veggies, nuts, fruit, meat) and all low-glycemic.

I also watch alot of videos from gayle hatch, crossfit.com, and I'm ordering the weightlifting encyclopedia, and I have videos "the worlds fastest lift" and "the world most powerful lift" with U.S. trainers teaching alot on the lifts. I'd like to get a coach, but the closest weightlifting gym is a 2 hour drive, and that's no good with my schedule, so these videos is all I have to study, and I can also video tape myself and review/analyze my techniques and whatnot.

Any constructive criticism? Or does it look good?

Top Bottom