Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
Press Training
Mesocycle 17 - Week 4

Beginning Thoughts:

Last night's workout right here...Went in feeling pretty good and was determined to spend a good deal of time doing press work because lately my shoulders have been feeling very unstable and I don't like that.​

Workout:

Pistol Squats:
BW x 6 reps x 2 sets
Next Mesocycle I am gonna spend more time on quality.

Overhead Press:
155 lbs x 3 reps
160 lbs x 3 reps
165 lbs x 3 reps
170 lbs x 3 reps
175 lbs x 2 reps
185 lbs x FAIL
155 lbs x 4 reps
Since I'm doing this exercise for the first time in like ages..I decided to go Quality Volume on this. I'm writing up a plan for progression on this exercise soon. I plan on breaking through the 185 lbs mark.

Pull-ups:
BW x 10 reps
BW x 9 + 1 reps
BW x 8 + 2 reps
Total = 30 reps
Decent..

Push-ups:
BW x 20 reps x 2 sets
Destroyed me...

Videos:

Pistol Squats,Overhead Press and Pull-ups:
YouTube - M17 W4 Press Training.wmv

Overall Impression:

Eating has been relatively good so I am going to work on that and do some R&R over the next 2 days which I have off from training.​

You've inspired me to give overhead squats another try, and I finally found a place to put them in my routine! I'll be doing them tomorrow, but a couple questions:

1) Should I do them before or after military presses?
2) What stretches should I do before I attempt the overhead squats?

Thanks! I'll probably be videoing them tomorrow, maybe videoing my military press too. I'll post it up in my log so if you could tell me how I'm screwing up that would be great:D

Here's what I'm thinking of using for weights:

1x10x45
1x5x65
1x5x95
Then I'll keep progressing till I can't do it for 3 reps with solid form. Thanks for inspiring me to do these, I just realized that they are one of themost functional type of squats.:)

I'm glad you like the thought of doing OH Squats.

Firstly: do them first before anything else and right after mobility drills (we've gone over this before)

Secondly: use a broomstick. It will take you roughly 1-2 months to get your form down. Bar is too heavy. Take a broomstick and do sets of 1 rep. Take a lot of rest - adequate rest so that each rep is perfect. IF you fuck around and just rush through because you're bored/discouraged with the load, then it will take you longer to get the form down. So, if you want to shorten the regular 1-2 months it takes most people to get their form down, spend about 20 minutes doing this AFTER all the mobility drills and do sets of 1-2 reps at first and build on that. You will need to take 2-3 minute rest intervals to make sure you're focused and alert.

Good luck and I hope you stay determined enough to keep trying even if it takes you many months to do them.

If you don't mind a little help I can offer something that may help your OHP.

Admittedly, it was tough to tell because of the camera angle, but it seems that your form lacks some constancy. Your head need to come much further through your arms, while at the same time almost touching your shoulder blades together. This should happen the last few inches before elbow lockout. When you do get your head through, it is as if it is an afterthought, and done after a lockout. Also, (again not sure because of the video angle) when you set up for the press, you should be taking in such a big breath that it feels as though you are trying to break your ribs from internal pressure. Finally, really try and work on getting your elbows out so far that your upper arm is nearly parallel to the floor with at least 60% of the weight resting on your chest/collar bone area.

I think making these changes will make that 185 just fly up!

B-

i bet you would hit the 185 if you hadnt gone up in 5lbs sets, if you were fresh you would have smashed it!

If you don't mind a little help I can offer something that may help your OHP.

Admittedly, it was tough to tell because of the camera angle, but it seems that your form lacks some constancy. Your head need to come much further through your arms, while at the same time almost touching your shoulder blades together. This should happen the last few inches before elbow lockout. When you do get your head through, it is as if it is an afterthought, and done after a lockout. Also, (again not sure because of the video angle) when you set up for the press, you should be taking in such a big breath that it feels as though you are trying to break your ribs from internal pressure. Finally, really try and work on getting your elbows out so far that your upper arm is nearly parallel to the floor with at least 60% of the weight resting on your chest/collar bone area.

I think making these changes will make that 185 just fly up!

B-

Thanks for the tips. I was doing most of what you said. The only thing I missed out on (and this was only the 185 set) was the head thingy you mentioned first. Otherwise, everything you've said is rules I adhere to. Except when I mess up like I did on 185 lol...

i bet you would hit the 185 if you hadnt gone up in 5lbs sets, if you were fresh you would have smashed it!

Thanks, EM. I sure could've nailed 185 however, I was doing Quality Volume. Basically, when you get back to an exercise you haven't done in a while, you choose a number which is gonna be kinda difficult for you and you do 3 rep sets acclimating the weight by 5 lbs or less (except in the case of Deadlifts and Squats in which case you'd use 10 lbs) for sets of no more than 3 reps. So, I had to do those previous sets to ensure I still had my form down, etc. Naturally I am a bit rusty (who wouldn't be if they haven't done an exercise in a while) so I think I'll get it in the next 2-3 weeks hopefully.

Thanks for dropping by, mate! :)

I'm glad you like the thought of doing OH Squats.

Firstly: do them first before anything else and right after mobility drills (we've gone over this before)

Secondly: use a broomstick. It will take you roughly 1-2 months to get your form down. Bar is too heavy. Take a broomstick and do sets of 1 rep. Take a lot of rest - adequate rest so that each rep is perfect. IF you fuck around and just rush through because you're bored/discouraged with the load, then it will take you longer to get the form down. So, if you want to shorten the regular 1-2 months it takes most people to get their form down, spend about 20 minutes doing this AFTER all the mobility drills and do sets of 1-2 reps at first and build on that. You will need to take 2-3 minute rest intervals to make sure you're focused and alert.

Good luck and I hope you stay determined enough to keep trying even if it takes you many months to do them.

Thanks! I did some broomstick overhead squats last night and will be trying full ones today. I tried them once before and was able to do 95 lbs for a couple solid deep reps but my form was not the best. Today I'm going to do some light weights and work on form, then maybe move the weight up a little to see how I do

Thanks! I did some broomstick overhead squats last night and will be trying full ones today. I tried them once before and was able to do 95 lbs for a couple solid deep reps but my form was not the best. Today I'm going to do some light weights and work on form, then maybe move the weight up a little to see how I do
Sounds good, dude. Good luck!!! :)

Thanks, EM. I sure could've nailed 185 however, I was doing Quality Volume. Basically, when you get back to an exercise you haven't done in a while, you choose a number which is gonna be kinda difficult for you and you do 3 rep sets acclimating the weight by 5 lbs or less (except in the case of Deadlifts and Squats in which case you'd use 10 lbs) for sets of no more than 3 reps. So, I had to do those previous sets to ensure I still had my form down, etc. Naturally I am a bit rusty (who wouldn't be if they haven't done an exercise in a while) so I think I'll get it in the next 2-3 weeks hopefully.

Thanks for dropping by, mate! :)

ah that would probably be a good thing for me to do, as I got back into deadlifts today after getting close for 5 months and my technique was a little off.

I am also going to try the type of thing you do for my military press, it has got the point where I cant progress even 5lbs every 9 days with ramping up to a single set. So Im doing some pre exhaust style trisets for the next 4-6 weeks then Im going to do straight sets and 6 sets of 4 kinda like the thing you were talking about Ill let u know how it goes :)

Top Bottom