Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BICEPS-The most underrated muscle in Powerlifting!! L@@K!

CytoMel

Could an greater emphasis on biceps training lead to bigger lifts in powerlifting?? this is a brilliant question that is rarely discussed. Biceps are the most neglected muscle in powerlifting. A few points:

1. According to Louie Simmins in his"Overcoming Plateaus Part 2" article, "The first muscle to flex while pushing the bar concentri-cally will be the biceps."

The biceps have in important role in getting the bar off your chest at the bottom and also help holding the bar across the lats in squatting and also they have to work in pulling in the deadlift.

Also the biceps are antaginist muscles to the triceps (no shit). With all the tremendous attention and time spent on triceps, the biceps also must work during this triceps work. Would you want to build a mountian next to a molehill?

Wouldn't it make the triceps somewhat stronger to do an equal amount of sets for the biceps and triceps? Why do 20 sets a week of triecps and less than 10 for biceps??-Think about this!!!

No way biceps are only a beach muscle, in fact they are THE REASON WHY MOST OF US STARTED LIFTING IN THE FIRST PLACE-BICEPS!!!

The plan-do the same amount of biceps work as triceps work each week-I do. Where would Arnold be without huge bicep peaks? Now put down that burrito and go BOMB THOSE BICEPS!!
Gimme your opinions.

Remind me to kick you in the teeth tomorrow. You come up with some stupid ass shit! Maybe you should spend more time training and less time on the internet. Maybe then you will start to bench something. See you tomorrow.

Bob

thats a crock of fuckin shit. Biceps are for pulling, and have no effect on bench. My friend can curl a shit load more than i can but i kill him on the bench press. Fuck Arnold, hes a faggit body builder. Power lifters dont really care about peaking thier biceps, the bicep will grow from hard and heavy power lifting back work. Id rather have a bulk long bicep than a Madonna looking bicep.

Isn't he correct about the antagonist part though? Doesn't your body stop all progress in a certain muscle if its antagonist is weak to prevent injury?

As for the biceps being involved in the BP, I doubt it, unless your grip is uber wide.

-Zulu

damm, bob -- at least leave him a couple of teeth:)

Zulu -- biceps are really not needed for a powerlifter and esp for th ebench. I haven't worked them in over a year -- and it shows -- I have no biceps. Yet my bench moved almost 100lbs in ayear. I did 410 last july, this june i did 501 in a meet. I don;t even know what a curl bar looks like.

This is why powerlifters don't make any sense to me. They say biceps don't do shit, which I agree with, but then they say that lats are a prime mover at the bottom....what gives? I could understand why having a strong upper back could help it the bench....for stability...alright....

is it counter productive to train the biceps?

1-dawg: do you feel that if you had trained biceps that you wouldnt have made such a good gain on your bench?

I remember reading something funny.

im pretty sure it was in a piece of olympic lifting literature.
they said that powerlifters work biceps so that they can bounce forearms off them in the bench press.
i though that was pretty funny.

Well, as far as the article...well...a man can only write the same darn thing so many times when it comes to west side training. Bob...you understand...right? You can only talk about acc resistance, bands, chains, GM's, bar speed...etc...for so long...and if you want to keep writing articles...you have to dig deep. I'm sure that bic training is important...they do them on the west side tapes I have. They are not intense...but they do them.

For strongman...bi's are very important. Size and shape means nothing...but function does. Try to flip a heavy tire with weak bis...you will hurt for days:). And the stones...ouch...gotta have bi's to do a heavy stone.

Are the anywhere near the most important...no freakin way!!!! But...what do they hurt:)

B True

endpoint -- I think I still would have benched 500 in the same amount of time, however, I also feel strongly that if a powerlifter trains his bi's hard he has a good chance of tearing a bicep, esp in the dl. ASk Bob about torn bi's -- he went thru one that still gives him problems. I guess some light bicep work wouldn't hurt once a week or so, but I feel that a powerlifter could spend his time doing other stuff. We only haev so much time so why not spend it on something that will definitely contribute to yoru total.

B-fold

I agree with you 100 percent. For strongman, you really need strong biceps, and everything else. For those of you that have not trained any o fthe events you don't know what you are missing. I have a friend that 's into strongman and has an 800lb and 600lb tire, rocks and a log. Those damn tires are rough adn they will wear your ass out quick. I would have to bet that you see many more injuries in strongman than powerlifting due to the overall body stress that you go thru. I have never found anything more grueling that a little strongman training. I am by no means an expert on strongman, but I have done a little event training. Most of the events are more suited to a taller lifter, not a short guy like me. I can handle the pressing stuff but the others are made for the taller guys -- 6ft plus.

Top Bottom