Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best way to strengthen lower back?

Dirty Workout

After many weeks of heavy squats, deadlifts, rows, etc. my lower back is sore. I figured I should try to directly strengthen it and did some light sets of hyperextensions today. What else should I do? (remember it hurts right now)

Dirty Workout said:
After many weeks of heavy squats, deadlifts, rows, etc. my lower back is sore. I figured I should try to directly strengthen it and did some light sets of hyperextensions today. What else should I do? (remember it hurts right now)

The fact you mention Rows as part of your lower back training leads me to believe you do them bent-over or with spinal flexion on a cable machine. Problem is that the lower back is one of the areas most susceptible to injuries, overreaching, and overtraining. As such, extra attention should be given to all aspects of its training, including technique, load percentages, volume, and rest. I know that for me, Bent-Over Rows in the context of also Squatting and Deadlifting were holding me back years ago as I'd pulled my hamstring doing them and had been having problems with lower back pain more frequently before scrapping them. Doing free weight rows with a support for your spine such as bench or T-bar pad, and doing cable rows with an erect/static posture allows a better mind and muscle connection with the muscles you're actually supposed to be focusing on in the rowing movement.

Anyways, my point is if you're having problems with pain in your lower back -- either pain from actual injury or just soreness-pain related to microtrauma -- looking for ways to do MORE when you're obviously already hitting it hard, well I can tell you finding a sports therapists who would recommend that would be almost impossible. *Active* rest (as in doing LESS in the gym) combined with alternating ice and heat on your lower back and massage if you have access to it is the way to go. And looking for ways to cut back, a change of rowing style seems like the most practical first step. Temporary lowering of the volume, weights used, and/or speed of the eccentric phases of your Squats and Deadlifts would be secondary steps worth considering.

Well I think I might go with the active rest idea as it has been so sore I have had trouble even tying shoelaces. Not sure if it is actually overtrained or I strained it on that last rep of heavy squats. I am in my 2 week cruisin period and last night I did real light barbell rows (as opposed to heavy) and my back already feels a little better.

Maybe when I go heavy in gym again in 2 weeks I will incorporate heavy good mornings to strengthen back. I guess I will just stick with light good mornings until then.

endpoint said:
do some exercises for your Rectus Abdominis.

Damn I think you might have hit on something here. I basically got so into my heavy lifting program the last 8 weeks that I neglected doing anything for abs.

Felt like all the food I was eating stretched my stomach and weakened my abs as well, though I dont know how valid this is

If your back is hurting...it is time to lighten the load and figure out WHY!!!!

Start with AR work, stretching, taking down the inflammation, reverse hypers, etc...

B True

Top Bottom