Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best Shoes for Squats?

legendz

Yesterday, on my leg day, a member at my gym said he noticed I didn't remain on my heels the entire time I squatted; that my heels sometimes left the ground (which would mean I'm relying on the balls of my feet and/or the toes, which wouldn't be a good thing).

I don't recall feeling my heels leave the ground, but he insisted they did and recommended wearing a pair of shoes that are flatter-soled than the ones I was using. I've been using a pair of Asics. He recommended Converse, which are very flat.

Maybe he meant that my shoes have heels, which wouldn't be good. But the ones I have don't seem to me to have any noticeable heel, as far as I can see.

My concern with using shoes that are very flat is that my feet are much too flat to begin with, so I need shoes with arch support. And I wear custom orthotics to help with the lack of arch support. My flat feet have caused pain in my knees and ankles, cause the legs to turn inward somewhat and cause bunions near the large toes. Typical symptoms of flat feet.

At one time I used a pair of New Balance shoes that turned out to be very flat (eventually, a doctor, upon seeing my pair, told me they had no arch support at all). I recall having knee pain and difficulties doing the squat while wearing those shoes, even with orthotics. I don't have squatting issues that I know of with my Asics.

Do Converse shoes provide enough arch support? I've seen people use them for squatting. But then I've also seen boots used as well. Are high-top shoes better, or low-top? (My Asics are low-top.) What specific shoes do you prefer for squats and working out in general, and why?

I'm sure this is a very individual and subjective issue.

I think maybe you could focus on pushing off your heels more with whatever shoes you have. I dont think its necessary to get specific shoes. But Im no expert, I squat with Air Force Ones lol

I think maybe you could focus on pushing off your heels more with whatever shoes you have. I dont think its necessary to get specific shoes. But Im no expert, I squat with Air Force Ones lol
Yeah, I tend to just concentrate on pushing up from my heels (and making sure to keep my back straight, and centering the work on the quads). Seems as if this is one of those personal preference issues that people argue about.

Yeah, I tend to just concentrate on pushing up from my heels (and making sure to keep my back straight, and centering the work on the quads). Seems as if this is one of those personal preference issues that people argue about.

Yea definitely is a personal issue, someone that makes a big deal or point about it obviously uses it and swears by it. You could try it out but personally i wouldnt waste my money on shoes, id buy protein powder instead.

As long as your back is straight, you look straight ahead even a little up, and have the mind muscle connection with your quads/glutes you are good to go.

I squat in high top chucks.

I eventually will buy some of these.......

Rogue Fitness

I know Onebreath uses the Rogues and he is very fond of them.

Any flat sole shoe like chucks, vans, DCs, etc are ideal. You do not want to squat in any shoes with air soles as they absorb a lot of the force when pushing out of the hole.

I use Inzer "Towers" for my leg training. They have a lifted heal and lace up along with 3 velco straps that tighten your foot and ankle for extra protection. Killer shoes but takes a while to break them in.

If you want to be squatting with a medium-wide stance...you need Chucks.

I also got a pair of red/black VS OLY shoes a couple weeks ago that I wear on OLY squats, OHP, and front squats.

Top Bottom