Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bent Over barbell Rows Vs T - Bar rows which are the best mass builders?

S

SSAlexSS

Hello all!

Out of curiosity, what is better in terms of pure muscle mass

T-Bar rows
or
Bent Over Barbell rows?

And does t- bar row counts as a machine or as a free weight?

Reply please!
Thanks!

T-bar in my opinion is a machine because it follows a set pattern of movement.

I,d go with the bent over rows purely bacause of the fact that it is a free exercise.
Kind of like bench press v,s smiths machine bench.

Both are ok,machines vs free weights isn't relevant her. The BB row is superior because the T-bar row doesn't not let you get a ful contraction at the top.

I agree with what everyone is saying. However, I feel the supported T-bar is at times a better choice. I only say this because it is a similar motion, and it limits cheating to a great extent. I do not know how many times I see guys in my gym doing a bent row and using more legs then back.

So I guess what I am saying is for experienced, intelligent lifters the bent row is better. However for the rest of the population the supported t-bar is a better choice.

I think you should do them both.

I have the distinct feeling that t-bars work the lower lats more while bent rows stimulate mid-upper back

When performed in a controlled manner They both are superior to machines because if u lean against a machines pad and pull your arms backward, the lats only need to contract where they insert in your ribcage, however if u have to stabilize the spine you get neuromuscular contractions at those insertion point also

I like to split up my back routine in two days:

Get Thick!
- deadlift (not touching the floor!)
- bent row
- t-bar row
- hyperextensions

Get Wide!
- chins
- dumbell row
- machine row or seated pulley row
- reverse grip pulldown

Key is using good form, especially on deadlift/row day. I feel that grouping exercises that targets mainly lats or spine definately helped me to overload the specific areas

Goahead: I strongly disagree with your method of training [but if it works for you then fair enough.]

For anyone who is unsure about back training i would not recommend that routine. One day a week is sufficient enough.

You want a movement that will work your middle back [horizontal row] and an exercise that hits lats more [vertical row.] Then a core movement for lower back [i.e. deads]

For vertical rows, weighted chins or pull ups are prolly better than pull downs, but do what you feel works best.

For horizontal rows my personal favourite is DB rows. I know people who prefer T bar rows with an underhand grip to put their biceps in their strongest position.

Basically, what i'm saying is do what YOU think works best. There ain't nothing worng with a bit experimentation at the beginning. Once you find it, stick with it and keep it the same each week to measure progression.

I would suggest 2-3 sets per exercise and no more than 3 exercises for big body parts.

i also prefer a supinated grip, however l feel that i cant lift as much weight with this grip than i could with a pronated grip. Could it be because it forces the elbows in and the range of movement is greater, also i tend to pull with my back and not my biceps.

Tuna Guy, I agree with you 100% I love the supinated grip on back work. I think it hits more of the lower lat and midback. Anyway i think it limits your strength because it takes out some of your rear delt involvement, and concentrates more on the lats and rhomboids.

Top Bottom