Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Benefits of deadlift

I herniated my lumbar disc doing deadlifts.

I had perfect form for 5 years straight, and one day I was tired and messed up my form, and BAM! herniation!

This, IMO is a hugely dangerous lift and had I known back then I would have never done it. I rather have a weak back than risk becoming a paraplegic.

Like many things in life, its not dangerous in and of itself, its the user that causes the problem. You said so yourself, YOU messed up your form! The lift didnt cause the damage, YOU did.

Anytime you are lifting weights you should make sure your in the proper mindset and health to do so. That being said you should have your form observed and critiqued by someone who KNOWS what they are doing and your form should be spot on before attempting anything near 1RM. Even with that being said you should in no way sacrifice form for weight during normal training.

Take video and along with coaching and know what breaking form feels like and when it occurs drop the bar. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by squeaking out a rep with poor form.

The above being said, the DL causes system wide benefits that no other exercise can match. There sheer stress it imposes on your system causes massive CNS and muscular adaptions, large spikes in natural hormones etc which all equal growth.

For those that want to scoff at DL's and push them aside as dangerous or unneeded thats your choice but personally I want to be able to know that if needed I can pull 600lbs off the floor in an emergency without becoming a cripple.

Lots of power lifters never hurt their backs, but if you are worried about that, you can still do DL's in the 5-8 rep range with great benefit, better form, and much less risk than doing 1RM.
People haven't mentioned that like all total body exercises, it is a good calorie burner as well.

Numerous studies have shown that the big lifts that involve large amounts of muscle mass all at once cause the pituitary gland to excrete growth hormones. The key is the lift must involve a large percentage of your body's muscle mass. The two most effective lifts in this category are the deadlift and the squat. Ask around the gym and you will find that most people dread doing these two lifts. The reason is that these are really hard and really stress the body. It's that very stress that they are trying to avoid that makes these lifts so effective for natural muscle growth. The stress of exerting that much muscle all at once causes the body to react by releasing growth hormones. These growth hormones will cause all the muscle in the body to grow, even the muscles that aren't being directly worked. It has been said that you can build and incredible physique by only working your legs. While this is some what of an exaggeration, there is a lot of truth to that statement. Want to increase you bicep size? Do heavy deadlifts.

Numerous studies have shown that the big lifts that involve large amounts of muscle mass all at once cause the pituitary gland to excrete growth hormones. The key is the lift must involve a large percentage of your body's muscle mass. The two most effective lifts in this category are the deadlift and the squat. Ask around the gym and you will find that most people dread doing these two lifts. The reason is that these are really hard and really stress the body. It's that very stress that they are trying to avoid that makes these lifts so effective for natural muscle growth. The stress of exerting that much muscle all at once causes the body to react by releasing growth hormones. These growth hormones will cause all the muscle in the body to grow, even the muscles that aren't being directly worked. It has been said that you can build and incredible physique by only working your legs. While this is some what of an exaggeration, there is a lot of truth to that statement. Want to increase you bicep size? Do heavy deadlifts.

Good post.

I've been doing dls as long as i can remember. Great for mass. I love the pump i get in legs, glutes, back and forearms.
Like all exercises, form has to be right and can't round your back, ever

Top Bottom