Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Pressing for OL lifting

TomoUK

i train the Oly lifts 3x week with my club and usually fit in a session at my own gym as well where i will do some extra stuff that i dont get to do at training. My question is that i want to bench press on this extra day (my coach doesnt have a problem with that) but i wanted some opinions on how i should go about it, i.e should i be pushing heavy triples/ doubles or should i do lighter high rep work? can pressing help my oly lifts in any way?

thanks, tom

Flat pressing probably won't help the OLs unless your pressing power is totally underdeveloped. Overhead or incline is probably a better choice for carryover into that sport.

As for the scheming, considering your OL is the primary focus, I'd try to sync it up with the training cycles so that your pressing doesn't interfere and moves along appropriately. Not sure what kind of training you are doing or what your goal is in pressing but I'd ask your coach.

I rplied in your diary by mistake, as an ex shot putter and National champion at oly lifting, and now back as a masters' shotputter, bench away, it does not tighten your shoulders!!!!!!!!! look at javelin or discus throwers, and i was always super smooth at the snatch, and the clean and jerk require lots of strength, sped, technique and lg flexibillity but no shoulder flexibillity.
Madcow2 said:
Flat pressing probably won't help the OLs unless your pressing power is totally underdeveloped. Overhead or incline is probably a better choice for carryover into that sport.

As for the scheming, considering your OL is the primary focus, I'd try to sync it up with the training cycles so that your pressing doesn't interfere and moves along appropriately. Not sure what kind of training you are doing or what your goal is in pressing but I'd ask your coach.

I'd ask your coach as well.

My coach has me bench once every two weeks or so, either for a little change up, to assist in pressing power, or for general shoulder help (since we press overhead so much more often).

If you are already good at jerks, the pressing won't be detrimental in any way, and couldn't hurt, as long as you don't overdo it.

But, if you are not proficient in the movements or have a tight shoulder girdle already, I'd stay away from the bench, just until you've learned the lifts.

TomoUK said:
i train the Oly lifts 3x week with my club and usually fit in a session at my own gym as well where i will do some extra stuff that i dont get to do at training. My question is that i want to bench press on this extra day (my coach doesnt have a problem with that) but i wanted some opinions on how i should go about it, i.e should i be pushing heavy triples/ doubles or should i do lighter high rep work? can pressing help my oly lifts in any way?

thanks, tom

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/westside_meets_olifting.htm

Top Bottom