Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Press stalled

donny43

My Bench has Stalled.
Today I tested my squat max and bench max.
I have run 2 Dual Factor 5X5 in a row.
My squat has gone from 160KG to 175KG in the past 4 months but my Bench has stalled at 135KG during the 2nd run of the 5x5.
Today I tried 140kg but git stuck at about 15cm above chest the same place I got stuck when I maxed out 2 months ago.

I am going to do the df 5x5 for another run because my squat has consistently gone up but I am considering the following additional work.
The following would follow my normal bench workout.
On Monday Close grip 2 board bench press.
On wed drop the shoulder press and do normal grip rack lockouts from 15cm above my chest from a paused start.
On fri do floor press.
I would use a 3x5 rep range for the first 5 weeks then drop to a 3x3 using progressive loading.
In the last 9 weeks I only did full range Close grip bench press in the friday for 3x5.
Is this a good plan to add more workload at my sticking point?

donny43 said:
My Bench has Stalled.
Today I tested my squat max and bench max.
I have run 2 Dual Factor 5X5 in a row.
My squat has gone from 160KG to 175KG in the past 4 months but my Bench has stalled at 135KG during the 2nd run of the 5x5.
Today I tried 140kg but git stuck at about 15cm above chest the same place I got stuck when I maxed out 2 months ago.

I am going to do the df 5x5 for another run because my squat has consistently gone up but I am considering the following additional work.
The following would follow my normal bench workout.
On Monday Close grip 2 board bench press.
On wed drop the shoulder press and do normal grip rack lockouts from 15cm above my chest from a paused start.
On fri do floor press.
I would use a 3x5 rep range for the first 5 weeks then drop to a 3x3 using progressive loading.
In the last 9 weeks I only did full range Close grip bench press in the friday for 3x5.
Is this a good plan to add more workload at my sticking point?

you have the right idea about the need to strengthening your tri's, as this is what is leading your to stall out in your press. the 2 board press will put you at the right height to do this.
as far as the rack lock out work, I would drop it 5.1cm and do them from 10cm. this is why. your sticking point where your lift fails, is not actually where the bar stops at, but just below it. so the idea is to train your lockout strength for the lift just below your sticking point. rack lock out are good way to strengthen your lock out, and if you are failing at 15cm's, then I would do them from 10cm's.
Also, I know this isn't in the 5x5 program, but it would be a good idea to try and incorporate some speed work into your routine. (generally 9 sets of 3 reps w/ 50% of your 1RM, pushing as if you have your max weight on the bar). one of the basis of strength is force; as in how much force you can exert on the bar. if you look at the equation for force, one of the components is acceleration. so the faster that you can move the bar, the more force you can exert on the, which will help to translate into bringing up your 1rm.

Illuminati said:
you have the right idea about the need to strengthening your tri's, as this is what is leading your to stall out in your press. the 2 board press will put you at the right height to do this.
as far as the rack lock out work, I would drop it 5.1cm and do them from 10cm. this is why. your sticking point where your lift fails, is not actually where the bar stops at, but just below it. so the idea is to train your lockout strength for the lift just below your sticking point. rack lock out are good way to strengthen your lock out, and if you are failing at 15cm's, then I would do them from 10cm's.
Also, I know this isn't in the 5x5 program, but it would be a good idea to try and incorporate some speed work into your routine. (generally 9 sets of 3 reps w/ 50% of your 1RM, pushing as if you have your max weight on the bar). one of the basis of strength is force; as in how much force you can exert on the bar. if you look at the equation for force, one of the components is acceleration. so the faster that you can move the bar, the more force you can exert on the, which will help to translate into bringing up your 1rm.

Regarding the lockouts and floor press seeing that I am trying to emphasize my tris they should be done with a closer grip rather than normal bench width?

donny43 said:
Regarding the lockouts and floor press seeing that I am trying to emphasize my tris they should be done with a closer grip rather than normal bench width?

you can, and it would probably help to work your tri's more, but really its not going be 100% necessary. if you look at the bench press, there really are 3 places that people get stuck. 1. on the chest. this simply means they have too much weight on the bar. 2. from the chest to about 6 inches off the chest, this means that the lats are laggin in strength. 3. 6 inches all the way to lock out, this is where the tri's come into play, and take over in doing the majority of the work.
by doing the floor presses, you already more than 6inches off your chest (height off chest will be dependant on the length of your arm from your elbow to wrist). so your tri's are going to be doing the majority of the work. same w/ the rack lockouts (of course, this is going to depend on the height you set the safety bars for your starting position).
yes, a closer grip would put more emphasis on your tri's. personally, when I do lockouts or floor presses, I use a normal grip. but I know a lot of guys from WSB like to do their with a close grip. its all in your own preference.
are you training to be a Powerlifter? if so, you should take a look at the Westside Barbell system

illuminati: you clearly know what to do, but I'm curious about something. Do you think Donny has reached a point in his lifting career where he needs to focus on his sticking point in lieu of just revamping his set/rep scheme (programming himself past a plateau)? If he works sticking point for 6 weeks, he'll probably be able to come in and add 5 pounds to his bench? Or 10? Or 50? Or will he have to keep going back to working the next sticking point?

I'm just curious your opinion of when it's better to focus on a sticking point and add in supplemental stuff instead of just working through a new set/rep scheme, tweaking things etc. to keep making progress.

Protobuilder said:
illuminati: you clearly know what to do, but I'm curious about something. Do you think Donny has reached a point in his lifting career where he needs to focus on his sticking point in lieu of just revamping his set/rep scheme (programming himself past a plateau)? If he works sticking point for 6 weeks, he'll probably be able to come in and add 5 pounds to his bench? Or 10? Or 50? Or will he have to keep going back to working the next sticking point?

I'm just curious your opinion of when it's better to focus on a sticking point and add in supplemental stuff instead of just working through a new set/rep scheme, tweaking things etc. to keep making progress.

do i think he could benefit from a different rep/set scheme...yes. Do I think that he could benefit from addressing his sticking points...yes. Do I think that everybody should train as a PLer...YES! (ahaha)
the thing with working out is it is an individual thing, and its not always easy to talk someone into revamping their training, as most people don't like change. so when giving advice, I will (for now on) try to take that into consideration, figure out in my head how someone trains, and give them advice based upon their training style.
Donny, said that he trains 5x5. to be honest, I know very little about the 5x5 program. but the thing that stood out in my head, was that he ask a specific question "does this sound like a good way to add more workload to my sticking point." (this was in regards to adding 2board presses, and floor presses) and I absolutely agree. he has picked 2 excellent exercises that would properly address his weakness in the bench.
if you do notice two things in my previous responses. 1 was directly in regards to a different rep scheme. and that was the inclusion of DE work (9set of 3 reps w/50% of 1RM). so I did suggest a different rep scheme. then in my second response, I did ask if he was interested in training as a PLer, and if so, to check out Westside Barbell (again this would reference a different rep/set scheme). I kind of slid those two comments in, to indirectly suggest using a different work out plan, as I feel that WSB is a better way to build strength.

the thing with maxing out, is that you are always going to have a sticking point. and as a PLer, you need to be aware of what your sticking point is, so that you can bring that number up, which will bring your total up. so you need to be constantly evaluating yourself, determining your sticking point, and then addressing them, so that you can be a better lifter.

Good points, and I don't mean to imply your response wasn't well considered. Not at all. I'm just reminded of that quip that Wendler (?) made to someone on elitefts who asked about his weak spots . . . and Wendler said, it's your whole body. Your entire body is a weak spot. LoL I wonder if someone could tweak their routine a bit and add another 5 pounds onto their max in 4-8 weeks . . . and if that's "better" than targeting teh sticking point, at least until you've reached the advanced stages where you simply CAN'T add weight no matter how many times you revamp your routine.

Protobuilder said:
Good points, and I don't mean to imply your response wasn't well considered. Not at all. I'm just reminded of that quip that Wendler (?) made to someone on elitefts who asked about his weak spots . . . and Wendler said, it's your whole body. Your entire body is a weak spot. LoL I wonder if someone could tweak their routine a bit and add another 5 pounds onto their max in 4-8 weeks . . . and if that's "better" than targeting teh sticking point, at least until you've reached the advanced stages where you simply CAN'T add weight no matter how many times you revamp your routine.

i think I know the exact comment that you are talking about.

Illuminati said:
you can, and it would probably help to work your tri's more, but really its not going be 100% necessary. if you look at the bench press, there really are 3 places that people get stuck. 1. on the chest. this simply means they have too much weight on the bar. 2. from the chest to about 6 inches off the chest, this means that the lats are laggin in strength. 3. 6 inches all the way to lock out, this is where the tri's come into play, and take over in doing the majority of the work.
by doing the floor presses, you already more than 6inches off your chest (height off chest will be dependant on the length of your arm from your elbow to wrist). so your tri's are going to be doing the majority of the work. same w/ the rack lockouts (of course, this is going to depend on the height you set the safety bars for your starting position).
yes, a closer grip would put more emphasis on your tri's. personally, when I do lockouts or floor presses, I use a normal grip. but I know a lot of guys from WSB like to do their with a close grip. its all in your own preference.
are you training to be a Powerlifter? if so, you should take a look at the Westside Barbell system

I just want to get strong and see how far I can go and maybe compete one day but I am still not that strong for my weight.
I weigh 90kg My best box squat (12.5 inch)is 175 kg
bench is 135 kg
dead is 190 kg
I have thought and read up about westside but wanted to get some "time under the bar" so too speak with the 3 main lifts and build a solid base.
With the speed stuff on de day do you think it would be more benificial for me to do some repetition work or stick with the original template and do the fast lifting.
I have got some basic templates which I will follow for westside.

donny43 said:
I just want to get strong and see how far I can go and maybe compete one day but I am still not that strong for my weight.
I weigh 90kg My best box squat (12.5 inch)is 175 kg
bench is 135 kg
dead is 190 kg
I have thought and read up about westside but wanted to get some "time under the bar" so too speak with the 3 main lifts and build a solid base.
With the speed stuff on de day do you think it would be more benificial for me to do some repetition work or stick with the original template and do the fast lifting.
I have got some basic templates which I will follow for westside.

if you goal is to one day compete, then yes. follow one of the templates until you get the hang of it, and the start customizing it. word of advice, when first starting out with WSB, don't add in a bunch of extra work, or extra days.

Top Bottom