Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench press routine critque... thinking of going t

BobCW

It looks like this I'm going once a week on chest.

Bench press flat

3x3 at 195-200lbs 95% of max

I follow with three sets of partials

3 x 6-8 at 165

Is this too much strain on my central nervous system?
I'm really struggling to continue to improve strength wise on bench. I've Been stuck at 2 reps at 205 for 5 weeks now.
The rest of my workout

day 1 chest and triceps
Day 2 off
Day 3 legs and shoulders
Day 4 off
Day 5 back and biceps
Day 6 off
Day 7 off

Would it be wise to try and hit chest twice a week? with this routine? like every 5 days?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're doing 3 sets of 3 reps at your 95% max weight, then another 3 sets of 6-8 reps with partials. IMO that is no where near enough to strain your CNS and certainly not enough to improve your strength on bench. You might consider switching to a 5X5 routine for a while and see what strength gains you achieve with that.

what is the rest of your routine look like? what else do you do on chest day? a lot of people recommend static holds to get over a plateau.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're doing 3 sets of 3 reps at your 95% max weight, then another 3 sets of 6-8 reps with partials. IMO that is no where near enough to strain your CNS and certainly not enough to improve your strength on bench. You might consider switching to a 5X5 routine for a while and see what strength gains you achieve with that.

although the 5x5 is an excellent suggestion, and a routine that is sure to build a solid foundation, i don't personally see anything wrong with this set up. i strongly advocate even the use of SINGLES rep training, especially in order to smash through plateaus.

OP - the bands and chains solution is a very good one. you need to focus on what PART of your lift you are the weakest at.
if it's the bottom portion, then you need to work on things like board presses, dynamic effort explosive benching, and bottom position benching (starting with the bar sitting on pegs in the power rack just grazing your chest)
if you find that your sticking point is somewhere in the middle to lockout positions, then chains will help you immensely, and you should also put alot of focus on close grip benching to build powerful triceps to push

what is the rest of your routine look like? what else do you do on chest day? a lot of people recommend static holds to get over a plateau.

I usually will perform 4 sets of triceps.

lately it's been close grip bench press or cable pull downs sets of 6-8

3x3 at 95%? I can barely do 1 set of 3 @ 95%...but I'm not a beginner either I guess.

I think that you need to spend a lot more time in the 75-85% range. The general standard for training is to never do more than 4 reps above 90%. TOTAL!

Top Bottom