Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bench press plateau weight falling help

110%

i was stuck at the same weight for the whole summer, then i changed my routine and went on a bulking diet and i have gained 15 lbs in about 10 weeks. my bench also blew past its plateau and i went up 25 lbs on bench. my reps were 3, 3, 2, 1, 1. i increased the weight by 5 lbs each time, every week i was able to do all sets except i needed help on the fifth set of 1 rep. the next week i could always do all sets, and my next chest day i would start the weight at 5 lbs heavier. this workeda nd i gained 25 lbs on bench, however now i lost 5 lbs on my bench and it isnt going up at all, my weights are getting harder. what do u think i can do to break this plateau, i was thinking negatives or 5 sets of 5 reps i always see posted here. what do u think, also on negatives what should i do my weight at, a little over my max? and how many reps and how long of count on the way down?

if you're going with negatives I'd suggest about 15 pounds on the way down and go as slow as possible.....you're going to need someone pretty stong to help you because your muscles will be phatigued from the negative itself. I'd also suggest trying to go with some higher reps for a while just to change things up a bit and stimulate your muscles in a different way. I'm not talking about a drastic change.....just go up to 4-6 reps instead of 2 or 3.

i'm not a big fan of negatives ,how long did you train with the singles?after handling singles for too long you start to go back wards(if you are constantly maxing),i would suggest dropping back your volume,give your self a break.what type of program were you doing?

You might want to try a different approach to singles.The 5/4/3/2/1 system is a good one.Alternately,trying wave training doing several waves of 3/2/1.This is what I have been doing for several lifts and they have all been progressing.If your body is tired from or accustomed to singles, your idea of 5x5 is a good one.Negatives can be a little risky unless you use perfect form.If you do decide to use them, start out with about 110% of your 1 rm and do 3-5 reps using an 8 second negative once per week at the most.

If you train in the 3 and under rep range too long you will hit a pleatue much faster than if you didn't. There's also the irrational growth thing. Every once in a while, you have to use lighter weights. You should be warming up anyways. Strengthen your weaknesses. For me it was my triceps. Make a day by itself just to strengthen weak points such as arm/shoulder day. Make sure your shoulder blades are together and tight through the entire motion and should probably be doing some rotator cuff work too.

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=76019

the mann i am on a bulking routine:
mon: chest
tuesday: back and calves
wednesday: off
thursday: legs and calves
friday: shoulders
saturday: triceps and biceps and calves
sunday: off
abs every other day

If you're not making any gains, then you should probably look at your frequency. If you are hitting the bench too often, you're not allowing sufficient rest for the muscle to recover. Take a week off and then try it again.

do your shoulders with chest,your tri's will be fried after the shoulder workout the day before.......the rest looks good.what exercises are you doing on chest,shoulders,tri's????besides,reps and sets,your choice of exercises will have alot to do with it.

ok so far im really likeing the 5 X 5 or 5 X 5,4,3,2,1. i understnad that i would pyramid by 5 total pounds on the 5,4,3,2,1 but on the 5 X 5 do i just keep the weight the same and make it so i can do the first 4 sets then the last one is hard, and when it gets easy i increase, or do u guys pyramid on 5 X 5?

also the mann, on chest triceps and shoulders i am currently doing
chest:
bench press: 5 X 3, 3, 2, 1,
decline dumbell press: 4 X 8, 6, 6, 4
flat bench dumbell press: 4 X 6, 5, 4, 4
incline dumbell flyes: 3 X 8
(i know u all are gonna say add in incline bench but i am not doing it this time because i did it for a very long time around 24 weeks, so im taking a break, also i dont think this is overtraining as most of u will prolly say also, i believe doing less will take a muccccch longeer time to build a good chest)

shoulders:
seated smith machine barbell overhead press: 4 X 10, 8, 6, 4
machine overhead press: 4 X 8, 7, 6, 6
upright rows: 3 X 10, 8, 6
seated bent over lateral raises: 4 X 10

triceps:
close grip bench press: 3 X 8, 6, 4
tricep pressdown: 3 X 8, 6, 6
reverse grip tricep pressdown: 3 X 8, 6, 6
skullcrushers: 3 X 8

Yeah dude I love the 5x5 routine. I do this when my bench is in a stand still. Just make sure you can do the last set for 5 reps before adding more weight the following week. Since I started the 5x5 about a month ago my pecs have got alot bigger and my strength for the 5x5 routine has went up about 20 pounds.

Top Bottom