Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Press? Impossible?

marvelous54

I talked to a trainer today that claims he has a client that is repping out 225 for 36.

He also claimed the clients one rep max is 445.

Have you guys ever seen such a discrpancy between someones 225 rep-out and their 1rmax?

I've known a lot of people that have had at one time or another around a 450 max and everyone of them had a 225 rep-out max of around 25 (all were between 23 - 26).

what discrepancy? what does muscular endurance have to do with a max lift?

discrepancy refers to an unusual diference - most will tell you that diference is at least unusual

as far as endurance and strength, sure there is a big diference, but they are related especially in this type of "test"

discrepancy refers to an unusual diference - most will tell you that diference is at least unusual

as far as endurance and strength, sure there is a big diference, but they are related especially in this type of "test"

thanks for the definition :rolleyes: im not stupid i know what the fucking word means.

there is no discrepancy, i dont see one. actually 36 reps at 225 should put someone around 425-475 IMO depending on muscular endurance and power.

I agree.

I hit 225x38

Raw bp'ed 505x3

You're numbers are exactly where most people's are that have a 225 max rep in that range. His 225 rep max is only 2 off of yours yet his 1 rep max is around 100 lbs off.

You're numbers are exactly where most people's are that have a 225 max rep in that range. His 225 rep max is only 2 off of yours yet his 1 rep max is around 100 lbs off.

thats why i said, "what does muscular endurance have to do with a max lift?"

Part of powerlifting though is tendon conditioning through a low rep threshold that really gets you ready to push 100% max. I would not have been able at ANY TIME to just hit my true max. Partly because hitting a max is a 50/50 shot...partly tendon/ligament conditioning.

Also a high rep bp tends to be 3/4 reps many times from what I remember at NFL camps. Not overly impressive but still not awful either.

thats why i said, "what does muscular endurance have to do with a max lift?"

No sense going back and forth on this. Likewise, some people will have a maximum that is over the norm for the same test. Depending if it's 70%, 80%, or 90% of max there's still going to be a significant range in numbers among the same people in a group. Everyone's just put together differently.

Part of powerlifting though is tendon conditioning through a low rep threshold that really gets you ready to push 100% max. I would not have been able at ANY TIME to just hit my true max. Partly because hitting a max is a 50/50 shot...partly tendon/ligament conditioning.

Also a high rep bp tends to be 3/4 reps many times from what I remember at NFL camps. Not overly impressive but still not awful either.

I was thinking that (type of training) probably makes up for the biggest difference. I've always lifted for strength. Played D1, brother was a D1 OL and I have a close friend that is the S&C coach for one of the most prominent programs in the country. I don't think I've ever known anyone (specifically) that could hit 225 for 26 reps (much less 36) and not get 445.

Also, as you mentioned, much of a 1 rep max is crap shoot. That being said, I would think with that kind of 225 rep max he could have gotten the 445 at least for a 3 rep max.

Top Bottom