Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Press is a back excersise also ???

brownbrown

EF MOD
So i was in the gym Friday, doing the good ol' chest and tri's split. And I usually work out alone, so chest days I have to ask for spots. When i bench i put my feet on the bench or bring my quads vertical and flex my abs,
Well i finish 4 sets of lighter bench's and then put on 235 on the bench. i look over and ask a guy for a quick spot. Pretty big guy, 6,2 ish and jacked as hell. He spots me on my reps, and i say thanks a lot for your help. Then he tells me "Plant your feet on the ground, What most people dont realize is that Bench Press is a chest and Back exersise, and planting your feet on the ground helps you bench better". I look at him and say thanks again and continue working out.

Im not a tiny guy(i dont think) and i wondered to myself wtf was he talking about? and if there was some crazy new information about bench press that i didnt know. Because far as i knew, any lower back flexing was bad news when benching, and ive gotten cramps back there before when i was just starting out lifting.

So im posting on here for some insight...

i really don't get the difference.

if you put your feet on the bench you will still be working out your chest vs. putting your feet on the ground.

this guy is a tool. people who give others advice at the gym without being asked is piss poor etiquette.

This guy is completely right. When your feet are resting on the bench all the weight is being supported by your chest, tris and shoulders. However, when you plant your feet on the ground, and create a tight arch with your back the weight is now being supported by your entire body, although still mainly by your chest shoulders and tris.

Just because you are only using your upper body to move the weight, does not mean the rest of your body is just chilling. When you arch your back your are creating a powerful foundation, or base, and even your legs are being used as stabilizers.
This is why many powerlifters arch their back on the bench, over time it will allow for better stability and power.

This is also why typically people can not floor press as much as they can bench press, even though the range of motion on the floor press is significantly less. Because the floor press completely removes your back and lower body out of the equation, the weight is being moved solely by your upper body.

This is a tough concept to grasp, and to answer your question: No the bench press is not a back exercise. The back is just a stabilizer in the lift and I can guarantee you will not get any results on your back from bench pressing.

However the big dude was right and you should listen to him.

putting your feet on the bench is asking for an injury. you will also never have a strong press training this way.

watch this video on proper bench set up.

putting your feet on the bench is asking for an injury. you will also never have a strong press training this way.

watch this video on proper bench set up.

yes! that is the benchpress video I first learnt from, very helpful and a great explanation.

if you are looking to max out your bench then yes feet on the ground (even put a weight under your feet) and arch your back.. all that good stuff.. lifting ur butt, head or feet up will DQ you though.. they must stay down.

you won't be able to bench more putting your feet on the bench, try it and you will see.. however it doesn't mean you can't do it and still workout your chest, which is the point i am trying to make.

okay, ima try it again, along with the notes from the video in a few days(when im not sore anymore). Now i got a crap lower back and if i tweek it ima blame yall!:finger2:

Benching the proper way like in the video is the way that allows you to move the most weight and also the safest. I like doing bench occasionally with my feet in the air or on the bench but it definitely does put more strain on your shoulders, plus your whole body is "just chilling" as mike put it (love it haha) which is just asking for injuries.

The bench press performed to lift the most weight is a total body exercise.

The bench press performed as a chest exercise is more of an isolation exercise even though it is technically a compound lift.

Most guys that think they use their legs still have shit for leg drive. I see it constantly in videos. An even greater percentage have not achieved the control yet to properly engage the lats while benching either. I know because I am just now REALLY getting my lats into the lift and I train with a world class coach.

These things take time and to do them all at once takes alot of practice.

While the bench press performed as a strength lift is not a direct back exercise your lats once you learn to use them will get some decent work from it believe it or not.

u can do it either way.. put ur feet on the bench or on the ground, when i put it on the bench i findi t easier to lift obs not my max but just warming up lol

Top Bottom