Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Bench Press

Original post was by wnt2bbeast:

Question for walking, cwick, and company.

I NEVER lockout. It places the stress on your bones for a second vs keeping it all on your muscles. Same reason i never touch my chest. I feel that if i touch the weight to my chest that my muscles are not contracted fully and start to stretch/relax. I prefer constant tension the entire time.

As is suspected, Bigdho benches the same way i do. I have been benching this way for 3 or 4 years now and absolutely love it. Plus, i am stronger than i ever have been these days.

I stop just short of lockout, unless im tired, then i will lockout for a second to catch my breath.

Try it...it will be difficult/different to start, but you should take off quite quickly.

and some say it's "half-assed"............it's def. easier to lift more if you don't go all the way down, UNLESS you are bouncing..........

JKurz1 said:
and some say it's "half-assed"............it's def. easier to lift more if you don't go all the way down, UNLESS you are bouncing..........

I not sure if i agree with this. In training myself and others, most seem to think it is more difficult to stop the weight while fully contracted than to touch one's chest. Plus it depends on how wide your grip is. I use a super-wide grip, so when i come down, my arms are at or below 90 degrees before i ever touch my chest. Plus this way helps eliminate some of the triceps assistance.

cwick0 said:
I not sure if i agree with this. In training myself and others, most seem to think it is more difficult to stop the weight while fully contracted than to touch one's chest. Plus it depends on how wide your grip is. I use a super-wide grip, so when i come down, my arms are at or below 90 degrees before i ever touch my chest. Plus this way helps eliminate some of the triceps assistance.

There is no ? it's harder to come down and touch your chest gently and fire it back up, IMO...........my understanding is that's why you must touch during comps..............who knows.

That could be the case, or it could be to ensure that the competitor pauses the weight for one second. Either way i am no sure, never competed and dont intend to. Plus, i cant stand how comps are, bench shirts, arch the size of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, lift every 10 minutes, etc. Not to mention the bar moves about 6 inches and that's it.

i cant lift more weight if it stop short of my chest. i know for sure i cant stop short with 315. id rather pause it for 4-6 reps, or use a lil momentum adn get a few more reps. stopping short serves no purpose for strenght or form, IMO.

Not sure bro...........I would think an actual rest would be the most difficult, but you could be right too.......

As for the comps...I saw one at the Arnolds and it was a sight..........smacking each other in the face, taking 3 guys to get the shirt on this 500lbs dude.........pretty good entertainment..........Now, my good buddy won a shirtless one last fall at a weight of 165....that was cool....think he tossed 345....weak, local show, but fun...........

TheOak84 said:
i cant lift more weight if it stop short of my chest. i know for sure i cant stop short with 315. id rather pause it for 4-6 reps, or use a lil momentum adn get a few more reps. stopping short serves no purpose for strenght or form, IMO.
confusing post.......

JKurz1 said:
confusing post.......

how?

i dont think i can lift more stopping short.

plus i think its pointless, dangerous and i laugh at guys who lift like that with any exercise.

Top Bottom