Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Grip?

Lee

What is the best grip for standard flat bench? I usually put my middle finger on the first ring, which for me is just outside of shoulder width. Should I be putting them out further? Seeing as how I do close grip bench right after standard bench, should I just go as wide as possible?

i used to think wider was better for chest, but i made a thread a while back about how i started to feel weird on bench and started fucking up my shoulders (not rotator cuffs, but the tie in between the pec and shoulder). i also noticed my chests wernt getting hit that well from bench...

then i put my hands in more (from pinkeys on the rings to thumb on textured part width apart)

basically what im getting at, is wider isnt necessarily better, fuck around with it and see what works, cause everyones body mechanics for lifts are different...

It really depends on what kind of bencher you are. That is, if you tend to emphasize your triceps or lats more, or if you're a technical bencher or can just power through. Raw illegal wides can wreak havoc on your sholders, though, but I don't know many BBers who do this often.

I would strongly suggest varying your grip to work all areas of the lift. Use a wide grip one chest day, a medium grip on a different chest day, and a narrow grip on a third chest day. Or, as I often do, use different grips during every bench day. For a dynamic bench day, I will hit 3-4 sets each with a wide, medium and narrow grip.

I've heard that wider grip stance often equals more weight pushed, but in my experience, I've found a medium or relatively narrow grip to be favorable to my individual groove and thus allow me to put up more weight.

Remember there is no "best" grip -- do whatever works best for you! And don't be afraid to change things up: change your grip, posture (benching with leg drive versus legs on bench ala floor press style), supinated versus pronated versus mixed in all pulling movements, partial movements isolating the top or bottom end of the lift, et cetera.

:cow:

When I bench it's either close grip (14") for tricep training, or 32" for powerlifting training. 32" is the widest allowed in bench press competition, and shortens the distance of travel.
SublimeZM, and Samoth are correct in saying to change things up and find the best width for you.
NOTE: Bring a tape measure to the gym, I've noticed a huge difference in distance between the scores, i.e. the rings (grooves) cut into the barbell.

I like to switch it up.
Iv'e noticed that the closer your grip is, the more ROM (range of motion) your reps can get. It also seems easier to work with while closer ... (pinky on or just slightly inside the ring)
wider grip now (index finger on grip) calls for a shorter rep, but harder to do.
i think that wider grip is more inside your chest
closer grip is outer part of pecs

I heard this a while back and it makes sense. It depends on how wide you are so to speak. If you were going to do a push up how wide would you put your hands? That should be your most comfortable normal bench width.

i alternate having all 4 different fingers on the ring of the bar
every workout i like to vary something, even if it's just a modified grip or changing the incline on a bench by a notch

I actually just changed my bench grip. i went from middle finger on the ring to now my pinky finger just barely touches the ring. I had some shoulders issues and heard this could be a culprit.
I will say that since the change my shoulders have DRAMATICALLY improved. Initially my bench weight was down about 10-15lbs per set but it came back in about 3 weeks.
Overall I suggest a slightly narrower grip than you may be using... but of course I dont know your body size.

Top Bottom