Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

belt or no belt on heavy squats?

dick tater

What do you guys think? In the past six months I haven't used a belt or knee wraps at all. Last night I squated a new personal best. I've been doing the 5x5 routine. How SAFE do you think this is? Should I use a belt when I max? How many of you don't wear a belt?

I wear a belt and i suggest using one for squats. I don't know how safe that is not using one but, it deosn't sound like a good idea.

IMO

Scaggs

Using a belt GREATly increases the risk of a hernia. This is because it builds up the pressure in the abdominal area, and all that pressure will look for a way out. So if you have any weak areas, bang, you're wearing your intestines on the outside.

Besides, as long as you are using proper form, a belt is not necessary. I have a bad back from years ago, but have squatted 445lbs for 5 reps, ass to the floor, and even deadlifted 550lbs for 5, all with no belt. And the flip side is, my lower back is just as strong as the rest of me, and my old injury feels great. If you use one for your regular working sets you'll end up with a lower back that is weaker than the rest of you, and that imbalance can easily lead to injury

I wear a belt when it counts...at a contest. Find your weakest link and hammer it...

B True

Thanks for the input, guys. Last night, before I started squating, I put a belt on to see how it felt. It felt awkward so I didn't use it.

Needsize--good points about the hernia. My abdominal area is exactly what felt uncomfortable. I was, however, using one of those belts that tapers in the front where the buckle is placed--not at the best kind of belt.

Thanks for your opinions.

Tater

dick tater: Do you ever check your pm's? lol

B True

I asked the same thing a while ago and the resoundign answer is that you only want to use belts on max attempts. I have eschewed the belt and have never felt stronger or better.

Search for "back strong and beltless" on testosterone.net. It's a long (3 parts) involved article but I think everyone who lifts weights should read it.

JC

I haven't worn a belt ever sicne I started training

I normally dont take a big deep breath and hold it in my tummy.

But I have been doing so lately because of all the squatting I do , and I felt a strange tugging senstation in my lower abs. If I breath out, it goes away.. scared me a bit

I never wear a belt. Deads or squats. I want my lower back to be strong, so I'm gonna make it strong. I won't work around it with a crutch.

Top Bottom