Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Behind the neck pull ups

Lumberg

I used to eschew these because I heard they put your shoulder girdle in a vulnerable position. But then I read in Strength Training Anatomy that they emphasize your lower lats, and I need more lower lats. So I started.

I have found two sorta ways of doing them. One is contracting like a normal pull up only bringing the bar behind your head. The other one is constantly squeezing your shoulder blades back throughout the movement, and even while you are just hanging at the bottom.

The second way "Feels cooler" but I can get less reps. It also feels like it hits more muscles in my mid-back.

Any input on the differences between the two?

JC

My shoulder hurt when i try to get the bar behind my head. I dont think its a good idea to do... in my case.

-Fatty

Any behind-the-neck excercise (press or pulldown) is a real potential hazard, especially if you're prone to shoulder problems. I feel you can get the exact same benefit (with significantly lowered risk of injury) by doing regular wide-grip pullups or pulldowns.

Don't do them. I read a study somewhere online that showed that you actually get better results from doing them in front of your head. Also, if a movement doesn't feel right then your body is telling you something. If I could get great leg developement by jumping off my roof a few times a day would I do it? No, because the risks of injury would out way the benefits of it.

they are just too rough on my shoulders nowadays, I used to be able to do them when I was lighter. Great lower lat worker if you keep your arch, I see a lot of people trying to do them with a rounded back...keep the form

bbuniv1.jpg

I just wanted to reiterate that I have experienced no discomfort from doing pull ups behind the neck. I was just wondering if retracting the scapulae would work different muscles.

I understand the risks, but everyone is different. I am going to try them for the next 4-10 weeks and see if they result in any discomfort. So far so good.

JC

joncrane said:
I just wanted to reiterate that I have experienced no discomfort from doing pull ups behind the neck. I was just wondering if retracting the scapulae would work different muscles.

I understand the risks, but everyone is different. I am going to try them for the next 4-10 weeks and see if they result in any discomfort. So far so good.

JC

You'll probably be ok then. I did behind-the-neck-pulldowns for years before learning the hazards. Now I don't do them as much because I believe front pulldowns are more effective.

Even so, I still wouldn't go real heavy on them.

gymtime said:

You'll probably be ok then. I did behind-the-neck-pulldowns for years before learning the hazards. Now I don't do them as much because I believe front pulldowns are more effective.

Don't worry about that---I won't add weight until I can get three sets of 12 clean--not there yet.

JC

gymtime said:

Don't worry about that---I won't add weight until I can get three sets of 12 clean--not there yet.

Especially since I do them after dead lifts.

JC

But then I read in Strength Training Anatomy that they emphasize your lower lats, and I need more lower lats. So I started.
I heard that doing narrow grip chinups were for developing the length of the lats and wider grip made the lats wider:mix:

Top Bottom