Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Behind Neck Lat Pull-Downs

JoNeS

I've heard from a few differnt pt's at my gym that it is a bad idea to do behind the neck lat pull-downs, because it can fuck up your shoulders.

BTW these pt's are body-builders so I trust their input.

However I feel that doing behind the neck pulldowns gets a better angle on my lats, and helps me develop more of a v-taper.

But these pt body-builder bro's of mine say that behind the neck is no good, and I should just stay with infront of the neck pulldowns in stead.

What do you all think?

It is a lot easier to mess up your shoulders with behind the neck pulldowns and presses. I avoid them, they're just not worth the risk. :(

The only potential danger is when you're too big to bring the bar down behind your head w/o contorting yourself. Most people arent.

All depends on how flexible you are. If it hurts or the joint is sore after...don't do it. Same thing goes for a lot of different lifts...bench, squats, flyes...some people have a bigger ROM without stressing the joint.

JoBu

God dammit Nate you posted the link before I could - J/K glad someone else appreciates correct training principles other than always use a sterile needle

If you like the article, get the video "current controversies in pulling exercises" - gives explicit detail of why behind the neck has the potential to be dangerous and the best ways to do pulldowns, rows etc.

But, yes behind the head has the potential for R. cuff injury - also that motion is not required in any sport

S

P.S.

WATCH OUT - all traniers / bodybuilders are not as informed as your freinds i.e. bicep size has no correlation to brain size, but is usually equal to their I.Q.

S

That was a good article. I was suprised to see it was by Paul Chek. The other chat area I belong to is supertaining and Paul gets a lot of bad reports. What do yall think about Paul's method's? Just curious to see another boards opinions. Supertraining board is very technical. Anyone use that one?

wtlftr said:
That was a good article. I was suprised to see it was by Paul Chek. The other chat area I belong to is supertaining and Paul gets a lot of bad reports. What do yall think about Paul's method's? Just curious to see another boards opinions. Supertraining board is very technical. Anyone use that one?

chek gets alot of bad press because he at one time posted on supertraining i believe, and directly disagreed with mel siff. it was something that had to do with TVA activation in athletes or something.
i agree with some of his ideas, especially with regards to core stability, and postural deviations. as for him being a big proponent of functional trianing...i could care less about that type of training.:D same as juan carlos santana, im sure he is a great instructor/trainer, but his "niche" is not something im interested in.

Top Bottom