Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

And it begins.....Workout log for the hungry

Murker

Name : Joel B.
Starting weight : 242
Height : 5'11
BF % : Around 20%( have not done test)
Goal : Short term - Cut off about 40-45lbs. Long term - Go pro baby!
Currently : All natural

I am not your average 23 year old man. I have been off and on the gym for the past 5 years. My love for this sport first came when I was 17 years old and playing a high level of ice hockey in Vancouver(I even played and trained with Evander Kane, now with the Winnipeg Jets). I was small, and lanky in high school. My trainer, Perry Kane, suggest that I hit the weights to pack on some muscle and lean mass. Ever since then, there was no turning back.

I will admit, I've fallen off the horse 3 times since I started working on my physic, I just lacked the motivation, and the know how. Every time I would come back into this sport though, I learn more and more. This time around, I'm here to stay, and one day I will make a career out of this. I eat, breathe, sleep, bleed, and dream this sport. In my teenage years I ran with a poor crowd, got into drugs and abused alcohol. I currently don't have one close friend that is not a drug user, except for my girlfriend of 4 years. You know what that means right? That means I don't have friends anymore, there is NO room for that shit in this sport, and I intend to keep it that way. I'm giving you guys a strong introduction to myself so you can know where I came from, and how I've been molded into the person I am today. Alot of workout logs are just plain ; i.e. I did this many sets today of this muscle, I am sore now, yadayadayada. I believe these should be done in detail, so people can really jump inside of your mind and realize the commitment that is needed for this shit. I'm ready to give it all, I'm ready to make any sacrifice nessecary to make it to the top. Enough about my personal life, let's get into the workout.

Currently, I am cutting. As I said previously, I am just getting back into this and it's been well over a year since I've seriously lifted. I'm about 40lbs over weight and determined to become shredded by summer so I can start my bulk.

The routine is as follows:
Monday - Chest/Tri's/Cardio
Tuesday - Back/Bi's/Cardio
Wednesday - Legs/Calves/Ab's
Thursday - Shoulders/traps/rear delts/light cardio
Friday - Bi's/tri's/cardio
Saturday - Ab's/ Cardio
Sunday - Rest/Maybe light cardio

Today is friday February the 1st. I started up training last Thursday, so I am technically a week behind, but this has been requested by needtogetaas, and I think it's a great idea aswell.

A few others things you should know about me, regarding my lifts ;
I dislocated my shoulder, so some shoulder lifts may be weak, but this is actually the most well built muscle on my entire body. My knee, I've been getting ridiculous pains in the past when I squat heavy, but I don't really give a shit about being strong. I just wanna look the part.

This concludes the introduction to the beginning of my story. Today being friday, I'm going to destroy my arms and then do some light cardio(legs are still in RIDICULOUS pain from wednesday). Will update later on tonight after the training session.

Last edited:
Alright folks, I went and smashed my arms today for just under 2 hours. The training and lifts went as follows!

It goes Weight/repititions. ( for forearm rollers its just weight)

Tricep pulldown(Straight bar)
40x15/60x10/70x9/80x6

Tricep pulldown(Rope)
40x9/50x9/60x8/70x7

Seated Skull Crusher
25x12/55x9/65x7/75x4

Single hand pull down
20x10/25x7 ( Triceps failed here, decided to call it quits in fear of over training)

Seated preacher Curl
45x10/65x10/85x7/95x4

Standing Hammer curl
15x10/20x10/25x9/30x7

Seated isolated curls
20x10/25x8/30x5 (I was planning on throwing in from reverse curls, but my biceps were giving at this point)

Forearm Curl
20x10/25x15/30x12

Forearm rolls
45/50/55

That concludes the workout for this evening, felt good. Alot of str was lost in my year off, but it's coming along. (In the past I was able to deadlift 405, Squat over 405, and Bench 315, just to give you an idea).

Just my two cents - your training split is going to run the risk of way overtraining some parts of your body. One example - you're training triceps directly on both Monday and Friday and then training shoulders on Thursday, which is going to involve quite a bit of tricep involvement as well. That's hitting the same muscle group three times in five days - they need time to recover.

My personal opinion is that you'd be better of cutting out Friday's working and pushing Wednesday and Thursday back a day. That would have you lifting M/T/Th/F. The extra rest day on W would be good for you and the overall split would be a better work/rest ratio.

Either way - good luck man. Crush it.

True that man! thanks for the input. It's funny because I was just trying to help someone with that, and it seems I have made the same mistake. Thinking of just cutting out triceps on the friday entirely, and just doing the biceps and abs. I do feel them giving a little early, but not sure if it is because of lack of rest, or if it is just because I am not really in shape yet(Only been 8 days since I began lifting all together).

Thanks again for the input and motivation, all means alot

I did a return to the gym two years ago after almost a decade away so I can relate to your quest (I lost 80 pounds in 2011 and last year added nearly 15 pounds of lean mass while cutting another 5-10 of fat). If you push too hard too often at the beginning you will either burn out or injure yourself and end up in a forced layoff that can set you back weeks or even months. There's really no need to lift more than four times a week - four intense workouts with full energy and effort will be far better than five at less than optimal rest.

Congrats on the weight loss and lean mass gain man. I'll definatly consider your advice and try to make a 4 day program! karma for you :D

1. Just looked at the pics and you have a decent base to start from, but you're right about needing to trim down some. Having seen the pics I'm even more adamant in my believe that you should cut that extra day of lifting. The extra energy can be channeled into upping intensity on cardio and the four days will still give your body plenty of work.

2. Is that an elliptical you were on? If so, it's fine to use that for a while to get your body back up and running and used to moving but I'd like to see you transition to a treadmill before long. Ellipticals are great for people who are REALLY heavy or old or out of shape where there is a real danger of stress to joints, but at your age and with you being in decent shape those shouldn't be a concern. Stairclimbers and treadmills will burn more calories for the same amount of time if you put the effort in. Most cardio machines inflate the number of calories you have actually burned, but ellipticals do so more than others in my humble opinion. Even if you don't want to run, walking at a solid pace (4mph) at a steep incline (start at 5% and move up from there) will burn a TON of calories and help shred you up.

Top Bottom