Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Beginner looking for help/guidance.

tryin2getbigger

Hello, first time poster here and I'd like to apologize in advance if this ends up being the wrong forum. I have a number of questions that kind of fall into a number of the different sections here and wasn't sure which I should ultimatly post in. Anyway here goes.

I'm a 35yo male that has always been small. After some life altering changes (my wife and I seperated) I decided I was tired of just accepting it and joined a gym. I'm 67.5" tall and weigh 142lbs currently. I took all my measurements including bodyfat and they were:

20.7% BF
Neck: 14.25"
Chest: 38.5"
Bicep: 10.5"
Forearm: 10"
Waist: 32.5"
Hip: 35.5"
Thigh: 17"
Calf: 13"

As you can see I'm pretty small and would really like to add some mass without putting alot of weight on in my gut. I picked up some Muscle Milk as well as L-Glutamine Powder (Apex branded) and Creatine tablets (apex branded, 2000mg Creatine Monohydrate, 400mg Glutamine Peptide per tab).

My idea was to take the creatine and L-Glutamine 1 hour prior to working out and then drink the Musle Milk after my workout and before bed.

Here is my problem. In 1995 I subluxated my right ulnar nerve, since that time I have had 3 full ulnar nerve transpositions. My right arm is considerable weaker then my left with my right hand having significant atrophy. I also do not have full range of motion in that arm (about 18degrees from full extension). I really would like to put on some decent weight and increase my size but really have no idea where to start. The more I read the more confused I seem to get as far as exactly which exercises I should concentrate on and the weight/reps/sets I should do.

Sorry for all of the newb like questions but I really would like some help. I've talked with 2 different personal trainers at the gym I joined but both just seemed to be spouting something they memorized from a book =(

Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure where to start so I'll give some general guidelines and hopefully that'll get the ball rolling for others to chime in. Let's see:

-You mentioned that you want to put on size but you're at 20% bf. If you're happy with that level of bf then go ahead and work on adding muscle. However, you may want to consider getting leaner first, then bulking up. In hindsight this is the approach I should have taken. So to make my point more general: decide your priority (bulking or cutting), set a reasonable goal (like a particular bf% or pounds to gain), then develop a plan, then execute the plan.

-Center your weight training around the basic, compound movements. This advice applies to cutting AND bulking. Learn to squat, deadlift, overhead press, row, bench press, and do pullups. These are your bread and butter exercises. Focus on IMPROVING them week to week and you will grow if you eat for it. Even if your goal becomes fat loss these movements will be your mainstays. As a newbie to training, you MAY even lose fat and gain muscle, particularly if your diet is "good". But still I would say to focus on fat loss or muscle gain for best results.

-IMHO you'll want to start with a full body routine 2 or 3 times per week. Here's a decent thread for someone just getting started:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419466

-This is a book that has gotten great reviews by some members here. It's designed to teach newbies the big lifts. I ordered ti yesterday and am anxiously anticipating its arrival:
www.startingstrength.com

HTH

Thanks alot for that link looks like it will be very helpful.

I should have mentioned that no, im not ok with the BF%. It's all in the same place (love handles) and I cant seem to get rid of it no matter what I try. When I first started working out a little over a month ago I weighed 157 an had a 35" waist. The weight seemed to come off quick in my stomach area and I'm starting to actually see my ab muscles, but the weight on the side love-handle area just isn't coming off. In fact when looking at the sheet for BF% on my biceps/triceps they only pinched a 3 on each but for my side they pinched 25!

thats were i store my BF too
seems to be the last place for it too come off
stick with it
remeber its a lifestyle, i find it to be a very rewarding lifestyle
hope you stick around

tryin2getbigger said:
Thanks alot for that link looks like it will be very helpful.

I should have mentioned that no, im not ok with the BF%. It's all in the same place (love handles) and I cant seem to get rid of it no matter what I try. When I first started working out a little over a month ago I weighed 157 an had a 35" waist. The weight seemed to come off quick in my stomach area and I'm starting to actually see my ab muscles, but the weight on the side love-handle area just isn't coming off. In fact when looking at the sheet for BF% on my biceps/triceps they only pinched a 3 on each but for my side they pinched 25!

have patience, keep working hard, and give it some time. i am 31 and i think the gut/love handles is something that most of us 30 and up guys battle with!haha

you need to dial in the diet with plenty of protein, tuna, chicken etc if you want to grow naturaly.when i first started out i incorporated weighted dips into my regime and my pecs and triceps blew up and grew very quickly.they really are the upper body squat. keep the sets low and look to add extra weight weekly to your personal best as progressive resistance is one of the sure fire corner stones to progress and stick mainly to large compound exercises.face every workout in a positive frame of mind never let any negativity enter your mind during a workout.adhere to good form and strive to add weight or reps to the lifts every week and you will notice measurable improvements very soon .good luck.

you need to dial in you diet. up the protein with tuna chicken etc if you want to grow naturaly. the exercise will stimulate the muscle to grow but it will only do so if the protein and nutrition is in place so make sure that it is .when i first started i used weighted dips and my pecs and triceps blew up and grew very quickly.it really is the upper body squat.try to add extra weight or reps to all exercises every workout as progresive resistance is the corner stone to muscle growth.keep the sets low.adhere to good form and always train with a positive frame of mind never let negativity enter into your workouts. when you continue to add weight or reps the measurable muscle size increases you want will soon follow good luck.

Top Bottom