Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bear Training Journal

oso0960

Oso's Neural Efficiency Training Routine

Workout 1
Dumbbell Neutral Grip Standing Press
Neutral Grip Chin-up
Barbell Deadlift

Workout 2
Barbell Squat
Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Pendlay Row
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Guidelines
All exercises are done with ~80% of 1RM for 1x1 lifted as fast as possible on the concentric portion. Each rep must have total, absolute concentration. Perfect form is a must. Alternate workouts 1 and 2 every day. For example:

Monday – Workout 1
Tuesday – Workout 2
Wednesday – Workout 1
Thursday – Workout 2
etc.

After 2 weeks, attempt PRs.* Take a day or two of rest and repeat. It's well deserved with such a demanding routine. ;) Adjust weight percentages based on new PRs and repeat.
*Does not need to be a true 1RM.
Warm-ups
As stated in Eric Cressey's Maximum Strength book. These are things such as mobility drills, hip/glute activation, foam rolling, etc.
Also warmup before every work set. For example:

Bar x 5x10
50% x 1
60% x 1
70% x 1
THEN 80% x 1

As much rest as needed between each set.

Assistance
Prehab work to maintain muscle balances and such. Exercises such as external rotations, bent over flyes, etc. Very light, high reps.
Starting Estimated 1RMs
Barbell Squat
315 x 1
Barbell Bench Press
225 x 1
Barbell Pendlay Row
190 x 1
70's x 1
Neutral Grip Chin-up
BW + 60lbs x 1
Barbell Deadlift
365 x 1
I know for a fact that I can go into the gym any day at any time and lift these weights after warming up so there's no overestimating.

All Time PRs
Barbell Squat
365 x 3
Barbell Bench Press
245 x 4
Barbell Pendlay Row
n/a
70's x 3
Neutral Grip Chin-up
BW + 60lbs x 3
Barbell Deadlift
415 x 3
My best lifts ever done at any body weight.

Current body weight is around 210lbs.

Goal: Raise absolute strength as much as possible while maintaining a healthy, balanced body.

I'll give this routine a good 6 weeks before deciding if it works or doesn't unless an obvious regression occurs due to under-training. I'm sure most of you think it won't work because of how different it is, but there's really only one way of knowing for sure :). This time I'm going to keep this journal haha.

in! good to see you posting again. hows things? whats the bodyfat like? have you stayed lean since that cutting competition?

Hey bro good to hear from you again. Lately I've been doing too much reading and not enough lifting! Body fat is higher than it needs to be lol not sure of the number. For the past few months I've been half assing the diet and in the gym with no real schedule or goal. I was sitting at 220lbs and not looking too pretty haha. About a month ago or so I decided to shit on that half-assed bulking thing I was doing and just made it a priority to eat healthy/enough protein/etc. So far I'm down to 210 and looking tons better. As for the training I need a log to keep me on track with my goals and this forum is the place to be.

How have you been?? I see you're roughly 4000 posts more than what I remember hahaha.

Day 1
05/24/11

DB Press
20's x 2x8
30's x 1
40's x 1
55's x 1
Surprised at how light this felt. Minor elbow joint pain. Guess they haven't fully recovered from previous routine.

Chins
BW x 2
BW+20 x 1
BW+30 x 1
BW+40 x 1
BW+50 x 1
Felt a bit heavy. Minor elbow joint pain.

Deadlift
135 x 2
185 x 1
225 x 1
255 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1
Easy.

Comments: Need to make sure that the elbow joint doesn't hyper-extend. Should probably warm-up more next time.

Why did you decide to go with such a low volume, and pretty low intensity, approach? For example, why not take your top single to 90% or so if you're set on doing singles? Also, why singles as opposed to double/triples/whatever?

Just curious.

Why did you decide to go with such a low volume, and pretty low intensity, approach? For example, why not take your top single to 90% or so if you're set on doing singles? Also, why singles as opposed to double/triples/whatever?

Just curious.

Well the intensity is still pretty high, not because the weight is high but because I'm consciously trying to move the weight as explosively as possible and thus training to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible. The frequency is high because I've noticed that I was stronger from squatting submaximally 3x a week rather than squatting maximally 1x a week. I don't really know how to describe it. I think it's why olympic lifters train so often...I guess to optimize the neural pathways with specificity? It kind of goes with the saying that to get better at something, do it more often, practice.

EDIT: btw I refer to intensity as how demanding each rep is, not the weight on the bar relative to the 1RM. I don't believe that a rep where you apply only as much strength as needed to lift it is the same as a quality rep.

So to have frequency and intensity fairly high, the only other parameter I can manipulate is volume. So to balance everything out and not wipe my ass into overtraining, volume is kept very low. It may be too low, not really sure yet. I've never seen this type of training though and don't understand why. Everyone always adds more volume rather than frequency.

I may work up to 90% of my 1RM but I feel that if I were to do it every single day I'd lead myself into overtraining with aching joints, so I figured it might be better to start conservatively first. Maybe I'll wave the intensity if 80% isn't doing anything.

I'm not against doubles and triples, it's just that it's easier to focus everything I have into one solid, quality rep. It also goes with my goal: to specifically raise my 1 rep maximum.

I didn't just think of this training btw. Doug Hepburn, the first man to bench press 500lbs used this type of training at higher intensities (4-10 singles @90%+), along with a guy named TwiceBorn over on T-nation who claims to have known Doug and followed Doug's principles. And finally a guy by the name of Actarus on bodybuilding.com who independently came to the same conclusion that less is more. I've just casually stumbled upon all of them within the past couple of years and they all have one thing in common: They all implemented this style of training and have impressive lifts for being drug free, assuming they aren't lying about either.

The last factor..What do I have to lose? I've been at a plateau for quite a long time using higher volume/intensity approaches. If at worst, I'm sure I can benefit from undertraining for a while.

Last edited:
Day 2
5/25/11

Squat
Bar x many
135 x 3
185 x 1
205 x 1
205 x 1
225 x 1
255 x 1
225 x 1
On 255 my mind was too focused on getting out of that hole as fast as possible I completely forgot to contract my glutes! So that's what the 225 was for. Both reps I got air time.

Bench
Bar x many
95 x 3
135 x 2
155 x 1
185 x 1
During the unrack I felt minor pain in my biceps. Rep was solid though.

Row
bar x many
95 x 2
115 x 1
135 x 1
155 x 1
Explosive.

Comments: I probably need to tone down being explosive toward the end of the movements. That might keep my joints healthy. I also think I need to warm-up more with the easier weights. It seems that after every set no matter the weight, it's always faster than the one before

great to see you have a log again bro :) I hear you with the half assing it. I'm right back to square 1 with my lifts too. Can't wait to see how this works out for you- good luck!

Top Bottom