Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BB Rows (Madcow)

rbtrout said:
I don't want to kill a dead horse, but I agree with Madcow's analogy. Your core is probably weak. I know about low back trouble. I couldn't do bent rows (at 90) because it hurt my lower back. Deads hurt my back, but I struggle with them and continued on. Once I was able to start pulling some decent weight (315 5X5) on the deads, bent over rows don't bother my lower back any more. My best on those is 195. I've discovered by doing the 5X5 (all core and compound movements) that increasing the strength of your core will help you on all of your lifts.
There's only one other thing I consider - when I start a lift (any lift), if there's a pain that shouldn't be there, I re-rack the weight, stretch a bit and try it again. If I still have that pain, then I won't do that lift that day or I go way lighter.
Same here on all points. I first did the madcow 5x5 for back rehab and it has made a huge difference.

I never try to work through the wrong kind of pain. I'll happily miss a workout than risk missing six months and going back to living on Ibuprofen.

well just a word of warning on the 90degree angle on BB rows. I did this on tuesday night and I guess my form wasn't the best, and even today it feels like I have pulled some muscle back there. I was walking like I spent a night in prison all day yesterday....

90 degrees are great, but please use a lot less weight until you get used to the movement.

great post.

Hmm I actually do both.

I 1st do Heavy 3x5-8 of Cable rows with 45degree angle. Cable rows allow you to cheat some so you can lift heavy.

But then i do Light 3x8-12 Supported T Bar Rows. If you notice the supported T-bar is bascially a 90degree angle.I focus on the lower half of the pull for these (lower half meaning closer to your body. I focus on squezzing tight and holding for a second when the weight is at your body.

That 6 set twice aweek is all you need for rows. i also do a chindown Pull up combine in the same fashion Heavy full pull ups then light chin downs with pauses at the body.

You get the best of both worlds. you lift heavy and you get the good form and mass of repitition work.

well i do tons of sldl and deadlifts so thats not an issue for me. i would hope no one is using a bb row to work post muscles, not very effective.

Top Bottom