Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BB Rows (Madcow)

bignate73 said:
i've done them at 90 deg. its not easy, but its intense. I did them where I set the bar down each time between reps. i think i only got up to 135, i was cooked though after! I've heard them called Pendlay rows, ala Glenn Pendlay. He likes them and has his athletes use them.

I tried those
but it was hard for me not to cheat
it was easier to keep close to 90deg. tho setting the bar down after each rep
and I used like 215 while I'm pretty new to rowing so that was probubly not the best way to test out the method...

I have actually felt rows the most in my lats, from doing realy light rows explosivly for tripples
no idea if that tells anyone anything or gives them any ideas or what but I thought I'd share

I use a grip about an inch outside the smooth portion of the bar. It's fairly close in, so I was wondering: should I make it a bit wider?

There's really no fast rule as it's going to depend on your body and the width of your shoulders. Also, not every bar is exactly the same so... I'm generally a bit wider than shoulder width.

so what do some of your back routines look like?

Rows at 90 degress x reps and sets?
Underhand Pull downs?

These are my 2 back routines:
Day 1
Weighted pullups 5x5 or 2x10
BB rows (90 degree) 5x5
Power shrugs 2x10

Day 2
Cable Pulldowns 2x10
Cable Rows 2x10
Power Shrugs 2x10

I do Face Pulls, Cleans, and Bent Over Lat Raises w/ Shoulders

Do you guys do BB rows off platforms where the bar is lower then your feet?

I don't want to kill a dead horse, but I agree with Madcow's analogy. Your core is probably weak. I know about low back trouble. I couldn't do bent rows (at 90) because it hurt my lower back. Deads hurt my back, but I struggle with them and continued on. Once I was able to start pulling some decent weight (315 5X5) on the deads, bent over rows don't bother my lower back any more. My best on those is 195. I've discovered by doing the 5X5 (all core and compound movements) that increasing the strength of your core will help you on all of your lifts.
There's only one other thing I consider - when I start a lift (any lift), if there's a pain that shouldn't be there, I re-rack the weight, stretch a bit and try it again. If I still have that pain, then I won't do that lift that day or I go way lighter.

rbtrout said:
There's only one other thing I consider - when I start a lift (any lift), if there's a pain that shouldn't be there, I re-rack the weight, stretch a bit and try it again. If I still have that pain, then I won't do that lift that day or I go way lighter.

Words to live by. For those of us who lift and train hard, pushing ourselves to the limit whenever possible, it's the unplanned "rest periods" occasioned by injury that restrict our progress more than anything else.

mpc

Look at the oak's back...I think I'll do what he's doing and go 90.

Edit: I just tried the motion without the bar and I can feel it like hell in the middle of my back with no weight at all. I can't wait to some weight on!

Top Bottom