Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

BB Rows (Madcow)

i've done them at 90 deg. its not easy, but its intense. I did them where I set the bar down each time between reps. i think i only got up to 135, i was cooked though after! I've heard them called Pendlay rows, ala Glenn Pendlay. He likes them and has his athletes use them.

bignate73 said:
i've done them at 90 deg. its not easy, but its intense. I did them where I set the bar down each time between reps. i think i only got up to 135, i was cooked though after! I've heard them called Pendlay rows, ala Glenn Pendlay. He likes them and has his athletes use them.
There's a name. I'm a big fan of his. The main differences between the generic version I provide and his are that in addition to doing them from the floor he also advocates recruiting the erectors by going from a flat to arched back during the movement. This more closely resembles a real row (thinking of the crew shell example again).

It's a great movement but I figured that everyone would be better served by the generic row and a description as to why it's done. If I got into doing each rep from a complete deweight on the floor and recruiting the erectors, people would see it more as a novelty and not change their technique.

In all honesty, once you hit 45 degrees if there is any propensity for motion at all (and with heavy weight there absolutely will be) somone would probably be better served by doing dynamic pulls from the hang or power shrugs. Since you can't perform a real row in that position, you might as well forget about the arm portion and load the bar up for some real pulling. Lat recruitment is still there to a degree but the whole back/shoulders get overloaded. Noticable difference in the mirror within 3 weeks, guaranteed.

beachbum777 said:
Why does madcow start a thread just so he can write a long anology on why the people that do respond are wrong? Write a book it would be easier for everyone.HAHA
Dickhead - look at the title of this thread. Look at the first post.

If that didn't answer your question, let me help you out. I didn't start the thread. The thread was started by Anthrax. The thread was specifically addressed to me to ask me a question (see title of thread and first post). I then go on to answer said question.

So - "HAHA" as you put it. Take your head out of your ass, read what is written and maybe you can learn something instead of wasting everyone's time with your attitude. If you are happy with what you do, by all means continue - I hope your results are better than your comprehension of what I thought to be the totally obvious nature of this thread.

I'm quickly beginning to be reminded of why I didn't post at Elite for years. Some really great people and then there are the others.

beachbum777 said:
get a life and you won't need a discussion forum
Your posts have been sent to the admins. Wouldn't it be nice if you actually appologized after not only flaming me but being totally and obviously wrong and off-base? Then again, it takes a man to do that. People are here to learn and better themselves. I can't quite figure out your purpose but I doubt it's an decent one. Grow up or out. Makes no difference to me and I doubt anyone else here either.

to use the lats you pull down and back..... WoW beachbum777 looks like he is having fun... ignore him i say then he will have no one to talk too ...

I was enjoying this read until i stepped in some doo doo.

Beachbum this is your first & last warning
mess up another thread and you'll have me to deal with.
Sorry Guys!

RADAR

BTW: Here is excerpt written on the more explosive rowing version. I did not write this but if comes from a very knowedgable source.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rows: Well, the best way to do them is to start with the bar on the floor every single rep. Your middle back will have slight bend to it. You pull the bar off the floor quickly with the arms, and by a powerful arch of your middle back. You finish by touching the bar to your upper stomach or middle stomach. At no time is there any movement of the hips or knees, no hip extension at all, all that bends is the middle back and the shoulders and elbows.

This is hard to do and you have to have good muscular control to do it, or you'll end up straightening up at the hips along with the arching of the back. But if you can master doing them this way you will get a big back. This works because the lats actually extend (arch) the middle back in addition to other functions, just like with glute-ham extensions compared to leg curls…you always get a stronger contraction when you move both the origin and insertion of a muscle, flexing it from both ends so to speak.

The bar returns to the floor after each rep. The bent row is actually best done as an explosive movement and the bar is moved fast. I have trained many people who could do this exercise with 350 or more lbs. I myself have done reps with 425, Ed Coan, who also knows how to do them properly, has done reps with over 500lbs without his back ever coming above parallel with the ground. That is stronger than Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman, by the way.

I did rows with Coleman once, actually, and I was far stronger than he was. He could not do more than 350lbs strictly although he could do over 500lbs by standing almost all the way up at the completion of each rep. Ed Coan is probably the strongest person on these, although one power-lifter I trained did manage 525 for a double done strictly.

Rows look at an anatomy chart. if the scapula and upper arms are held in a constant position, shortening of the lats WILL result in arching of the middle and upper back. i AM NOT saying that the lats are primarily responsible for upper back flexion... what i am saying is that they can assist in this.

i also HAVE done EMG work on various different rowing techniques... and there is not doubt that rows performed as i describe them will activate the lats more completely than done any other way i have ever seen. i have done EMG work on a large quantity of people for rows... and ive always found that these kind of rows activate the lats most completely. and besides, even if you dont buy the fact that they activate the lats better, hell, you can always be content with the fact that your getting an erector workout.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

That is the way i do my rows, ive tried every different style and i prefer the one madcow just posted. Definatly works the best for me. Only thing i havent done is place the weight on the floor for every rep. Im going to give this a shot next back day. my pr with these is 275 for 6 and 315 for 2, got 3 but started to stand up.

Proof this style works is in my pictures i posted a couple months back, look at the developement in my lats/rear delts. These rows are the core of my back training aside from deads.

Top Bottom